.902 OTA radio SUCKS!!... reverted back to .901

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
After continuous dropped data for several seconds several times a day I finally got fed up and went back to .893, then decided to give .901 a try...and .901 has been 1000% better, although it does drop the 4G signal atleast it triggers to 3G immediately...unlike .902 which just loses the 4G signal and can't seem to lock into 3G quick enough and stays with no connection for several seconds at which point the 4G signal locks back on...very annoying.

How Moto and VZW could screw up things on what is supposed to be virtually the same OTA is beyond my comprehension...lmao... they need newer talent in their development teams...:blink:

TatDroid

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to work that way for me. 902 has been great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you never have it drop out of 4g?...ever?... hahaha...

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just wondering how many are back on .901? Because for me it is completely a .902 radio issue since it only occurs while on that radio regardless of stock ROM, stock deodexed, or custom ROM... on .893 and .901 it doesn't happen regardless of ROM I have loaded...

TatDroid

Reaction score
No, if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that the problem you had with 902 was that WHEN it dropped 4G it wouldn't pick up a 3G signal right away. I'm saying that WHEN my Bionic drops 4G it DOES pick up a 3G signal right away - which it did NOT do previous to getting 902.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No, if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that the problem you had with 902 was that WHEN it dropped 4G it wouldn't pick up a 3G signal right away. I'm saying that WHEN my Bionic drops 4G it DOES pick up a 3G signal right away - which it did NOT do previous to getting 902.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

The 4G in Honolulu is almost a 99.9% staple, with only a couple unique areas in bowl valleys where it does drop to 3G..... with 5.5.893 it usually tried to retain the 4G connection even in those few areas, with .901 it instantly dropped to 3G in those areas, but with .902 the 4G signal drops for 2-3 seconds 'everywhere' sometimes up to 4 or 5 times per day. My guess for you may be that you regularly do drop to 3G in many of your market areas, here it rarely ever does, except now with this supposed latest and greatest OTA radio update.
Obviously there is a slight difference in the .901 and .902 OTAs, which makes me wonder WTH it is!??..oh yeah, and WHY?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to work that way for me. 902 has been great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Same here. Of course I had no data problems with .886, .893 or .901 either.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So this is with 4G or are you mostly on 3G?... I'm talking about a signal that is almost always 4G, but with .902 the 4G signal disappears and before it toggles to 3G it locks back onto the 4G signal, all a matter of a few seconds but annoying just the same.

Wasn't on .886 long enough to notice much of anything, .893 and .901 both had no issues whatsoever, and being back on .901 for a couple days now without one second of lost signal (toggling or not)... so there is definitely something about .902 and how much I use my Bionic's browser...

So I now have two guys that seem to have no issues with .902, so I'd like to see what it is about their signal that keeps .902 as good as .901 and .893

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I had constant data drops (lost data entirely) on 5.886, 5.893, and 7.893. I mean like ten times a day. Probably more than that that I just never noticed.
On 901 and now 902, I lose data basically only when there's a nationwide (or region-wide) outage. 902 seems identical to 901 for me in terms of data connectivity. Transfers between 4g, 3g, and wifi are virtually seamless as far as I can tell.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
After continuous dropped data for several seconds several times a day I finally got fed up and went back to .893, then decided to give .901 a try...and .901 has been 1000% better, although it does drop the 4G signal atleast it triggers to 3G immediately...unlike .902 which just loses the 4G signal and can't seem to lock into 3G quick enough and stays with no connection for several seconds at which point the 4G signal locks back on...very annoying.

How Moto and VZW could screw up things on what is supposed to be virtually the same OTA is beyond my comprehension...lmao... they need newer talent in their development teams...:blink:

I believe its an OS issue because the .902 radio is the same as the one in my D4 here is a screen shot

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1332271761001.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1332271761001.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 319
OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe its an OS issue because the .902 radio is the same as the one in my D4 here is a screen shot

the .901 LTE version is 07.1E, whereas .902 is 07.1F...

also, if you were on .901 when the .902 update came out it still flashed a new LTE version...

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Also, if you were saying that it might not be the LTE radio but rather the build itself, well this also happened when I first flashed the .902 OTA and then restored Eclipse 2.1 which is a .901 build...... but that same exact build (Eclipse v2.1) on .901 is now going on 3 days without not even 1 second of dropped data signal.... so thus why I am blaming the LTE version associated with .902 OTA

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having problems with .902, been working great here. Switches between 4g & 3g without a problem. Running stock, no root.

Sent from my now freaking awesome, butt-kicking .902 Droid Bionic using TapaTalk

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No worries, just reverted back to .901 and couldn't be happier. Not even one second of dropped signal, and only about 3 or 4 instances of dropping down to 3G in the past 3 and a half days... so .901 is rock solid and I am very stoked I decided to go back.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this is with 4G or are you mostly on 3G?... I'm talking about a signal that is almost always 4G, but with .902 the 4G signal disappears and before it toggles to 3G it locks back onto the 4G signal, all a matter of a few seconds but annoying just the same.

Wasn't on .886 long enough to notice much of anything, .893 and .901 both had no issues whatsoever, and being back on .901 for a couple days now without one second of lost signal (toggling or not)... so there is definitely something about .902 and how much I use my Bionic's browser...

So I now have two guys that seem to have no issues with .902, so I'd like to see what it is about their signal that keeps .902 as good as .901 and .893

I live in San Diego (one of the first cities to get Verizon 4G) and when I got my OG Droid 3G in my house varied from room to room, but I live in a valley so data is spotty at best. At my parents 3G was rock solid.

With my Bionic, I was getting 3G in more places inside my house and 4G almost immediately outside. I even have had 4G inside my house. Some if this may be due to to the improvement of the towers around my house. At my parents I can easily steam a Netflix movie on 4G. The connection has been the same with all versions. .885, .893, .901 and .902. I'm unrooted, if that's any bearing. I did manually install the updates to .901 and .902.