.32 users, you might not know it, but you have a small problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

droidxchat

Reaction score
So its finally become apparent that the kernel versions btw .32 and .34 are not the same, despite someone swearing they were and then everyone else saying the same thing just cuz one person said it. Are they the same operationally? Probably. But the version numbers are different, and that's enough to cause compatibility issues for OTA's and maybe even full SBF's (although it's been suggested that full sbf's do not check for specific kernel versions).

What does this mean? Well, for those of you who upgraded to the leak .32 (bootloader/kernel and all), you can install a .34 rom, it will work fine, and for all operational purposes, you'll be at the same place as people who OTA'd to .34. But what some people on .32 don't realize is that this isn't putting their kernel on the .34 version, only their system. What's it mean? You could have severe problems next time you try to OTA in the future.... BEST CASE scenario is you get "the update failed", rather than a brick.

So what you .32 users need is a way back to .15, so that you can OTA to .34 and get back on track. A FULL (not system only) .34 sbf might work, assuming (and hoping) that it doesn't check for a specific kernel. But we need to get one in order to test that. Otherwise, you could be looking at a mass bricking for .32 users at the release of gingerbread OTA.

NO ONE AND I MEAN, no one who has updated will be stuck when the OTA comes out. before this was released you have to have known we have a way back. I'm just sayin...

Can someone who knows P3Droid plz ask him for the way back that he swore he has but that everyone thought we wouldn't need?

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
Do you have screenies to prove it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I don't have screens, but you can ask any dev who knows what he's talking about. The kernels have dif version number.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
It would be nice to have actual proof (pictures, quoted conversation...).

Inkarnit

Reaction score
It would be nice to have actual proof (pictures, quoted conversation...).

Pictures of what? The Gingerbread OTA failing? I think we'll have to wait on that...

Quoted conversations with who? Motorola? We know what P3 has said, but until there's a new patch, we won't see any proof. For now it's just speculation, but I would think that having different kernel numbers would be a huge issue when an OTA is going to be looking for a specific one...

Droid74

Reaction score
why i stayed away from the leak....and wont update to 2.3.340 until a full SBF is available. Now, if u are a DX user who doesnt care about rooting your phone then go right ahead and not worry....but if u care u r playing with fire till its available. Just my opinion.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
That's what Im talking about, a screenie of the ota kernel and the one users who used the leak are on, or a conversation with a dev showing what the kernel should be.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
why i stayed away from the leak....and wont update to 2.3.340 until a full SBF is available. Now, if u are a DX user who doesnt care about rooting your phone then go right ahead and not worry....but if u care u r playing with fire till its available. Just my opinion.
^2x that!

But it makes sense to me that this situation could occur for .32 users.

Inkarnit

Reaction score
That's what Im talking about, a screenie of the ota kernel and the one users who used the leak are on, or a conversation with a dev showing what the kernel should be.

Oh... well this is pretty simple... the kernel for the OTA is:

2.6.32.9-g55626e1
w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1

I'll look for the .320 kernel...
Edit: .320 kernel is:

2.6.32.9-gca645b6

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score

Here... this took me like 30 sec of looking through recent Droid X threads....

So the kernel version did change with the OTA

I never had .320, so I can't confirm, but several reports that the .320 kernel version IS different than the .340 version, yes.

Yeah the kernel version is different.

Probably they are functionally identical but we're going to need a true. 340 full SBF to get back into the Droid X upgrade path... assuming there's a 2.3 in our future.

littlerick

Reaction score
i hope everyone knows this isnt gingerbread.... its 2.2.1 (updated froyo)

mcp770

Reaction score
Help a new user understand the issue here, bare with my ignorance but I'm learning. Everyone freaked out that once on the 320 leak they were screwed and stuck once the release was discovered to be 340. I understand boot loader version issues etc to some point but if 320 updated to the same bootloader as the pending ota and that ota has the same system as this system only sbf im on now than why are there still worries? Lets say .400 ota comes out after this one in two months shouldn't it work ota? And now even on the system only sbf I am able to sbf back to 320 via bootloader so we already have a lifeline so what's the big deal? And why is the gloom and doom scenarios so prevolent when there will just be another sbf out for whatever comes out in the future. Just seems to me after sifting through a thousand threads that all we lose is the ability to hit the ota button and have to update via clockwork forever which isn't a big deal really. Break the fears down for us non devs please.

Worst case scenario is foot meets x and assurian gets a claim...poof new phone on ota.

OP
D

droidxchat

Reaction score
Help a new user understand the issue here, bare with my ignorance but I'm learning. Everyone freaked out that once on the 320 leak they were screwed and stuck once the release was discovered to be 340. I understand boot loader version issues etc to some point but if 320 updated to the same bootloader as the pending ota and that ota has the same system as this system only sbf im on now than why are there still worries? Lets say .400 ota comes out after this one in two months shouldn't it work ota? And now even on the system only sbf I am able to sbf back to 320 via bootloader so we already have a lifeline so what's the big deal? And why is the gloom and doom scenarios so prevolent when there will just be another sbf out for whatever comes out in the future. Just seems to me after sifting through a thousand threads that all we lose is the ability to hit the ota button and have to update via clockwork forever which isn't a big deal really. Break the fears down for us non devs please.

Worst case scenario is foot meets x and assurian gets a claim...poof new phone on ota.

Ok. You updated to leaked .32. What you have after that: .32 bootloader, .32 kernel, .32 system. Then, from there you installed a .34 rom. Roms will only change your system, not your bootloader or kernel. Now you have: .32 bootloader (but since this is the same as .34's bootloader, lets call it the .34 bootloader), .32 kernel (not the same as .34's kernel), .34 system.

So why is this a problem? Well the .34 OTA checks to make sure you have a .15 bootloader/kernel/system before allowing itself to install, this is why .32 leak users could not OTA even if they flashed a .15 rom beforehand, because the .15 rom only changes to a .15 system, but you're still on a .34 bootloader and .32 kernel. This is how OTA's have always worked, and it's likely that a future OTA will work in a similar fashion (the next OTA will probably be gingerbread, that's why it was mentioned). It will check for a .34 bootloader/kernel/system. Anyone who installed .32 cannot change their kernel away from .32 (as of right now), and therefore will not be able to use the OTA in the future. If they try, they could find themselves bricking.

The biggest problem out of all of this is that one guy (who I won't mention so as to not start a flame war) said "the bootloaders and kernels are the same between .32 and .34", and then everyone started saying it after that, because they trusted him. Those people started making other people believe them, because they were trusting. Well, its obvious now more than ever that he didn't really know for sure, but the problem is that too many people who were on .32 and then installed a .34 rom are walking around thinking that they're now on .34, when their kernel is different. They might still be thinking this next time they try to OTA, and their droid x might brick.

Some people are saying that a .34 sbf will fix it, because it might not look at kernel. I hope this is true, but I am worried it might not be. Although there is evidence that it is true (the full .32 sbf will work on a .34 ota user, even though the kernels are different).

The easiest and most surefire way to get .32 users back on the OTA track is to have them revert back to .15, then OTA to .34, then install the rom they want. P3Droid says he has a way back, someone needs to ask him to release it already....

Status
Not open for further replies.