Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
onstar-android.jpg

Talk about finally living in the future. The OnStar service is bringing smartphone control to all GM autos in the 2011 line. That means that anyone with a 2011 GM and an iPhone, Android, or Blackberry phone will have the ability to monitor and control their cars from anywhere. We still don’t have hover-mobiles, but at least it’s a start.

The OnStar remote control service for all 2011 GM cars will allow you to tap into a bunch of different controls. Users will be able to check statistics like tire pressure, oil level, as well as remotely start and unlock their car doors from anywhere. You will of course have to be an OnStar subscriber which starts at a high $18.95 a month, but it is nice that they are adding the app functionality in for “free”.

What is telling about this story is that GM is trying to make itself important again, and with programs and ammenities such as this they may just do it. With companies like Ford and the Microsoft Sync technology it’s only a matter of time before this type of functionality is expected in all cars by consumers. Now all we need is cars that can be completely controlled by Android or better yet, cars that drive themselves.

Via [Autoblog]
2011 GM line will have OnStar control app for Android | chrissmith | Androinica

techguru

Reaction score
Too bad they shut down Saturn and sold Saab. Not sure I am interested in anything else GM makes (actually, haven't been interested in any of the recent Saturns either).

Alan

Uprangewilly

Reaction score
Too bad they shut down Saturn and sold Saab. Not sure I am interested in anything else GM makes (actually, haven't been interested in any of the recent Saturns either).

Alan

Oh come on. you mean you dont like the new Camaro? I think its pretty damn sexy, especially in black.

orangepeel

Reaction score

Alan

To bad they bought Saab in the first place. Other than some technology,that car was never going to be a money maker at the amount it sold.I agree with you on the Saturn,although I thought they need a ground up re-design.

Fault

Reaction score

Alan

Oddly enough, my dad was the guy who did both of those (the selling and shutting down I mean)

I like this idea, but should have necessary pin code

blahzay

Reaction score
Dang, I was excited about this feature because I thought it was already out. I dont get my Droid X till tomorrow so i figured I would research this and to see it doesnt come out till next year is a little disappointing..lol...I have the auto start with my remote control as well as I have onstar on my car so i guess i just have to be patient.

BigZig

Reaction score
has anyone seen this app on the market i just tried searching for it and cant find it. i just got a new 2011 cruze and would like the app for it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd never pay for OnStar, but if you consider what remote car starters cost that at least offsets a year of service.