RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
http://www.wired.com said:
volt_smartphone_app.jpg

General Motors is touting the Chevrolet Volt as a technological tour-de-force, so it’s only natural that the range-extended electric vehicle is getting its own phone app.
The General joins Mercedes-Benz and other automakers in tapping the power of smartphones to connect people with their cars and a suite of services. We knew GM was working on an app for the Volt — OnStar prez Walt Dorfstatter said so when we talked to him about OnStar’s push into China — but it wouldn’t say much about it before unveiling it at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. What it’s come up with is pretty cool.
OnStar’s Mobile Application will let Chevrolet Volt owners use their phones to start charging the car, lock the doors and even turn on the air conditioner at any time even from miles away. The program provides real-time updates on how much juice is in the battery via text message or email, and will even tell you how much gas you’re using when the engine kicks in. GM says the feature will give owners unprecedented control of, and information about, their car.
“The Chevrolet Volt ushers in a new era of automotive technology and calls for a new level of connectivity and control,” Dorfstatter said.
GM says it will help drivers “maximize the environmental benefits of owning a Volt” by allowing them to schedule exactly when the car is drawing power from the grid. That will allow people to charge the cars when rates are lowest. Other features include:

• Real-time info about the car’s fuel economy when the gasoline engine is driving the generator when the battery goes flat.
  • Remote starting of the vehicle.
  • Remote locking and unlocking of the doors.
  • Remote starting of the air conditioner while the car while plugged into the wall to preserve battery range.
GM says Volt owners also can receive a monthly diagnostic report and maintenance reports on their cars, along with the standard safety features available through OnStar. The application works on the Apple iPhone, the Motorola Droid and the Blackberry Storm, and GM says it also will be available on a mobile browser for other smartphones.
The Volt is slated to roll off an assembly line in Detroit by the end of the year.
Photo: General Motors

Kinda nice right?

=)

Reaction score
Nice! At the CES show there's a company called Viper or something and they do car unlock systems, so it has the basic features of this, such as starting the car, unlock, panic, etc.

It'll be interesting in the future when all cars have this and kids will make fun of us for having to unlock with a bulky key haha.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lose/break/brick your phone and you lose your car controllability as well, nice!

gentlefury

Reaction score
Lose/break/brick your phone and you lose your car controllability as well, nice!

You would still have a key device, this would only be for convenience of convergence. You could actually stash your key as a spare and use your phone as your main key. Hopefully there is some kind of security lock for the app tho....would suck if someone stole your phone....and your car.

rjenk

Reaction score
Well, not so much the phone as the stock Verizon car charger but...when the charger is plugged in it causes interference with my Corvette's wireless system that detects the key fob so I can't start the car. Took a bit to figure out what it was but as long as the car charger is not plugged into the lighter the push button start works. As soon as you plug it in...no key detected.

Verizon...the new LoJack. :)

mjs31

Reaction score
I have the 2010 Equinox and the car starter that comes standard is not great for distance. I would love to be able to start my car, on the cold and hot days, from a ways away. Not getting the Volt though.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have wanted a Volt since back when it was ugly (well, uglier..). I love the idea of an electric car with a gas engine as a generator... oh, and being as it already likes my phone, that's nice too. ;)

GenkiElite

Reaction score
Im guessing that since OnStar is a part of VZW we can expect to see this type of app for any OnStar equipped vehicle.

GenkiElite

Reaction score
Just jabbin at ya bit. The Vette is the best sports car for the money and then some. Fortunately the GTR has a back seat so its "technically" not a sports car.

Reaction score
GTR is also a fine piece of machinery. I'm just glad that companies are finally realizing how easy it is to converge mobile technologies with their vehicle to add tons more functionality.

GenkiElite

Reaction score
Its about time. Screw callin OnStar if my car is stolen. Ill use the GPS and track'em down myself:icon_ devil:

Droid101

Reaction score
Im guessing that since OnStar is a part of VZW we can expect to see this type of app for any OnStar equipped vehicle.

yeah I read an app for that is already in the works. The app will be a mobile onstar and will work on any vehicle with onstar in it already also.