2 Root or Not 2 root?

DangerBillRobinson

Reaction score
New to rooting but fed up with non-control. Trying to get some opinions here on whether rooting is worth the risk I ran across a forum discussing a brand new OTA update that breaks z4root for some people using Droid X. I'm not sure if that includes Droid 2 though.

PROS (or control I want to have)
-Get rid of non-uninstallable, immortal software that won't die and check for updates as they please
*Use certain applications that require rooting like firewall, antivirus
*Linux terminal access
*Disable OTA OS updates and only run them manually when I say it's okay for them to run.

CONS (or control I don't want to lose)
*Unable to revert back to out-of-box state of the OS
*Unable to use my phone anymore (turn it into a "brick"?)
*Unable to get updates at all
*More privacy/security because I have root password or less security
because the phone is in fact rooted?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Z4root! Used it to root 3 DXs today and I've rooted 2 D2s with it as well! :dancedroid:

New to rooting but fed up with non-control. Trying to get some opinions here on whether rooting is worth the risk I ran across a forum discussing a brand new OTA update that breaks z4root for some people using Droid X. I'm not sure if that includes Droid 2 though.

-Get rid of non-uninstallable, immortal software that won't die and check for updates as they please
*Linux terminal access
*Disable OTA OS updates and only run them manually when I say it's okay for them to run.

DroidForums junkie!!

Reaction score
It sounds like you need to do some more research about rooting.

It is possible to go to stock Droid, just need to flash the original .sbf.

What updates do you mean? The app updates are just like normal. However, the OS updates do take some more work. (They always need to be flashed)

There is a possibility of bricking, but looking at the threads on here there doesn't seem to be a very high chance.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Z4root! Used it to root 3 DXs today and I've rooted 2 D2s with it as well! :dancedroid:

*Linux terminal access

DroidForums junkie!!

Wow double d you've been busy.

As for the cons, none of those are really anything to worry about as long as you educate yourself first.

tappin and a talkin

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I do not know what people do with their phones that makes them worry about the bloat so much. Android is designed to run and manage multiple applications and each application runs in its own Delvic VM.

I have rooted my Droid 2 and not frozen or uninstalled any of the bloat; and have no problems with any of the bloat slowing things down.

The advantage, to me, of being rooted is using Terminal Emulator, Root Explorer, and many other apps that require root.

As far as warranty goes, I have a Droid 2 bootstrapper backup on my sd card in case I want to go back to stock, should I actually freeze or uninstall any of the original software that came with the phone. I would simply bring it back with the backup and then Un Root. I also have rsd light, and the sbf to flash back to stock should I brick the phone with my experiments.

I assume that if I drop the phone and "bust it" no one will be able to tell it was rooted anyway, so I will get my replacement.

Unless you want to "play" with the Linux "stuff" or install different ROM's, there really is no need to root.

Just my 2 cents on rooting in general.

holmes6

Reaction score
I do not know what people do with their phones that makes them worry about the bloat so much. Android is designed to run and manage multiple applications and each application runs in its own Delvic VM.

I have rooted my Droid 2 and not frozen or uninstalled any of the bloat; and have no problems with any of the bloat slowing things down.

The advantage, to me, of being rooted is using Terminal Emulator, Root Explorer, and many other apps that require root.

As far as warranty goes, I have a Droid 2 bootstrapper backup on my sd card in case I want to go back to stock, should I actually freeze or uninstall any of the original software that came with the phone. I would simply bring it back with the backup and then Un Root. I also have rsd light, and the sbf to flash back to stock should I brick the phone with my experiments.

I assume that if I drop the phone and "bust it" no one will be able to tell it was rooted anyway, so I will get my replacement.

Unless you want to "play" with the Linux "stuff" or install different ROM's, there really is no need to root.

Study up on the penalties in your state for insurance fraud and then get back to me. I'm all for rooting and tinkering with your device, but ripping of your insurance provider for ~$600 is a completely different thing.

chrstdvd

Reaction score

Study up on the penalties in your state for insurance fraud and then get back to me. I'm all for rooting and tinkering with your device, but ripping of your insurance provider for ~$600 is a completely different thing.

I have no intention of committing insurance fraud, nor did I mean to imply that I would, or suggest to anyone else they should.

I bought my insurance in case I do drop my phone on the ground, or into a toilet or whatever. I take every precaution I can with it including having it in plastic case. I have broken the case, and replaced that, but not the phone yet.

antmeyerx

Reaction score
Personally i think rooting is a pain and you will FLIP out if you get your phone "bricked" sounds easy to do but if your new to this stuff its a pain in the you know what, and if you do decide to do this i suggest looking up the RSD Lite way to flash the .sbf and put your phone back to factory state.

From personal experience i had to do that and my phone ran EXTREAMLY slow so i just decided to un-root and take my phone to verizon and have them give me a new one.

So im not trying to persuade you just think hard about it, ask yourself if its something you really want? Something worth doing? :)