Cannot access su after root (first time hack, need a lot of help!)

expenguin

Reaction score
Hey there

So I'm pretty new to the whole world of Droid 2 hacking and I'm having one hell of a time.

So I started by rooting my phone (after updating to 2.3.4) using the How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread – Droid Life method and I thought it went pretty well. It installed superuser on my phone and I followed all the instructions to the letter.

However, I was not able to boot into CWM to install Cyanogenmod, when I reboot my phone, it takes me to the built in android recovery tool.

After some research I found I could use Root Explorer to remove a file called recovery-from-boot.p from my system menu after mounting in R/W.

That didn't work, so I had the idea to access my phones root from SDK on my PC. I was able to get in and access the system, but I am unable to access root (I am presented with $ instead of #). When I try to access root, I am denied.

My last try was to update the binary that Superuser 3.0 used, it finds an update, however when I try to update to it, it says it is not able to be granted root. (It shows that superuser is in fact giving itself root permissions).

So I'm stuck, no idea where to move next. I'm beginning to think that my phone is actually not rooted, or if it is, something messed up. I've tried all these steps multiple times, but with zero luck.

Any help?

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Have you installed droid2 bootstrapper?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
E

expenguin

Reaction score
Have you installed droid2 bootstrapper?

Yes I have, but all it does when I press bootstrap recovery is say success and when I press Reboot Recovery, nothing happens

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Use an app called root checker basic on the "play" store.

Jeffyo

Reaction score
Hey there

So I'm pretty new to the whole world of Droid 2 hacking and I'm having one hell of a time.

So I started by rooting my phone (after updating to 2.3.4) using the How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread – Droid Life method and I thought it went pretty well. It installed superuser on my phone and I followed all the instructions to the letter.

However, I was not able to boot into CWM to install Cyanogenmod, when I reboot my phone, it takes me to the built in android recovery tool.

After some research I found I could use Root Explorer to remove a file called recovery-from-boot.p from my system menu after mounting in R/W.

That didn't work, so I had the idea to access my phones root from SDK on my PC. I was able to get in and access the system, but I am unable to access root (I am presented with $ instead of #). When I try to access root, I am denied.

My last try was to update the binary that Superuser 3.0 used, it finds an update, however when I try to update to it, it says it is not able to be granted root. (It shows that superuser is in fact giving itself root permissions).

So I'm stuck, no idea where to move next. I'm beginning to think that my phone is actually not rooted, or if it is, something messed up. I've tried all these steps multiple times, but with zero luck.

Any help?

You cannot root after updating to 2.3.4. Sorry but you should have rooted before updating and then either refused the update or tried the rootkeeper app to retain root after update, if it works.

Don't try sbf or you brick your phone!!!