2.3 Update

drakerocksu

Reaction score
We have iris you know that right? Voice search for Android!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
We have iris you know that right? Voice search for Android!

Yes I've tried Iris too but I tried it when it was first released and it was useless. It didn't answer a single question for me and the other two tthat I currently have and was recommended by many other members here works well but not as nicely as siri. I ran a side by side test between the iphoeand my incredible and all the things I would think I would use an assistant for, siri performed better.

As much as this personal assistant thing is hyped, I personally think siri is the most polished and user friendly. I even told my parents to do a comparison and they concur. I don't see myself using a voice assistant very often, but just for the past couple days messing around with them, siri wins in my book. I mean yeah android has had it for years, but not much attention has gone towards it, but that has changed in ICS I hope.

I just tried Iris again for kicks and it still provides either useless info or too much info. I asked "what's the weather in San Jose like?" And it gave me a paragraph on how the weather will be like with temps given in C° and F°, way too technical and too much information. I asked it "what's 2+2?" And it gives me an answer that it represents a locomotive setup. One more question "what's 2+3?" It left me hanging for a good 30 seconds and told me to grab a cup of coffee and forget this question.
Yeah would I really ask these questions? No but as a test it flopped...big time in my book. So I tell it one basic task "set timer for 30 seconds" and it said let us change the topic.
Basic questions with no answers and a simple task with a failed response. The only thing that Iris compares against siri is the voice recognition.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

Grettski

Reaction score
Yes I've tried Iris too but I tried it when it was first released and it was useless. It didn't answer a single question for me and the other two tthat I currently have and was recommended by many other members here works well but not as nicely as siri. I ran a side by side test between the iphoeand my incredible and all the things I would think I would use an assistant for, siri performed better.

As much as this personal assistant thing is hyped, I personally think siri is the most polished and user friendly. I even told my parents to do a comparison and they concur. I don't see myself using a voice assistant very often, but just for the past couple days messing around with them, siri wins in my book. I mean yeah android has had it for years, but not much attention has gone towards it, but that has changed in ICS I hope.

I just tried Iris again for kicks and it still provides either useless info or too much info. I asked "what's the weather in San Jose like?" And it gave me a paragraph on how the weather will be like with temps given in C° and F°, way too technical and too much information. I asked it "what's 2+2?" And it gives me an answer that it represents a locomotive setup. One more question "what's 2+3?" It left me hanging for a good 30 seconds and told me to grab a cup of coffee and forget this question.
Yeah would I really ask these questions? No but as a test it flopped...big time in my book. So I tell it one basic task "set timer for 30 seconds" and it said let us change the topic.
Basic questions with no answers and a simple task with a failed response. The only thing that Iris compares against siri is the voice recognition.

Sent from Droid Incredible via Droidforums app

Have you tried "Jeannie" in the market? I found it the other day and had to try it out. Its free and it works pretty good. I tried all the questions you asked Iris and it got them all. I even asked "how far away is the moon" and it got it right.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, Jeannie is pretty crazy. Its not perfect but it gets 99% of what I say.

I did ask how old Garth Brooks was and it said he died at age 48 or 49. I guess the source was bad lol

Boot Manager

paulhusker

Reaction score
I downloaded Jeannie but it doesn't show up in my list of 'All Apps'. It does show up in 'My Apps' when I go to the Market.

kck

Reaction score
I downloaded Jeannie but it doesn't show up in my list of 'All Apps'. It does show up in 'My Apps' when I go to the Market.

It is listed as Voice Actions

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have not used Jeannie, but I heard it's just Voice Actions with a different name now.

Don't have time to try it out now, but anyone know if it has reminders or timers? That's how I would use it the most lol. And if it could schedule appointments on my calendar?

Messed around a bit more with my parents' iphones, siri is definitely a strong selling point of the phone and I can see why. But I will never convert for just one feature

kck

Reaction score
Have not used Jeannie, but I heard it's just Voice Actions with a different name now.

Don't have time to try it out now, but anyone know if it has reminders or timers? That's how I would use it the most lol. And if it could schedule appointments on my calendar?

Messed around a bit more with my parents' iphones, siri is definitely a strong selling point of the phone and I can see why. But I will never convert for just one feature
I asked it to set a 30 min. timer today at noon just messing around and thirty min. later alarm went off and it said 30 min timer. Haven't tried calendar yet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I asked it to set a 30 min. timer today at noon just messing around and thirty min. later alarm went off and it said 30 min timer. Haven't tried calendar yet.

Thanks for confirming this for me. I'll definitely check out the app later tonight when I have more time.

Quai1Ooth5d

Reaction score
I wouldn't get all hyped up over 2.3 the phone is pretty good as it is. By far the best phone I've owned. If it come good if not its still a great phone. It's a year old phone which is OLD in this smart phone world but I havnt seen a phone yet that makes me want to upgrade.
huang2.jpg

huang3.jpg

Wayneb02

Reaction score
To my knowledge it got pulled for being so buggy..

And to the people that are using it, root your phone. Sounds scary if you aren't very tech savvy but it is really easy and worth it

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First, I got my iPhone 4s in the mail yesterday, and have to say that I'm kind of surprised. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.

My Incredible was getting very, VERY laggy, and ios5 isn't laggy in the least. Siri is actually pretty good, I haven't played around with it much, but it seems to know most of what I'm saying.

The thing I'm happiest with is the battery. Normally, my Incredible would be dead by the end of the school day since I play on it so much in class, and with this iPhone, my battery was at about... 60-70% after school (then again my last class got cancelled, so it won't always be that high.

However, I'm not a big fan of the App store, there are a few apps that I'm definitely going to miss (Funny Jokes), and my comics app.

Most apps cost money on here, (most are $.99 like most iTunes songs), and I can understand that this is a business, but with all the free apps that Android had, I was kind of spoiled coming over to this phone.

Since I didn't root much, having a rootable phone wasn't all that big of a deal to me, and now that I can't root it, I wish I could.

Sometimes you have to touch the screen a little bit harder to get it to type a letter or close something but not to often, and I don't like how you only have 2 screens for apps and a searching screen.

Although I am quite pleased that I can put some apps in a folder if I don't plan on using them anytime soon.

I'm VERY happy that there's no Verizon Bloatware on this (VERY HAPPY!).

The screen is a little bit smaller than I'd like though...

Overall (just getting this phone yesterday), I'm torn on which way to advise people to choose. I know this an Android site and I love Android, but I'm not finding to many faults to go with the iPhone.

If the Droids had better battery and didn't have the bloatware, it would be a perfect phone. But then, if the iPhone wasn't locked down, it would be the perfect phone as well.

So both need to be combined to be the best.

I'd advise everybody to at least try the iPhone to see which you like. Play on a friends or a family members for a little bit to see if you like it, look through the app store, play a few games, see if it's for you.

Everybody is different, and I think I'm going to be staying with the iPhone (at least for the duration of this contract), seeing as the Nexus has been pushed back (yet again)...

I won't try to sell anybody on this phone, and I'm trying to compare/contrast the phones as unbiased as I can. If I seem biased towards one, then that's not my intent.

I will NEVER put down Android, and after playing around with an iPhone, I can say that I won't put down Apple either (except the prices... These prices blow...), they both make quality phones, each one just has a few things that the other needs to be the perfect phone.

I'll still be happily awaiting the Gingerbread update as everybody else will be (especially since I own about... 1/5 or 1/6 of the posts on this thread) :icon_eek:

I hope you guys will let me stay on this site and not harass me about my choice (I know most of you wont, but there are some out there), and I won't bash Android or say a bad word about it (Like a previous person who switched to Apple).

I think that once my next contract is up, I'll switch back to Android. In a year and a half to 2 years, Android will have far surpassed Apple, it won't even be funny, and I may even just sell this halfway through my contract and buy another Android, who knows?

I just have to say, that I'm pleasantly surprised with my choice, and that I'll give Apple a chance to wow me as much as Android has.

Sorry for rambling so long, and sorry everything is out of order, I just typed it as it popped into my head.

Good day everybody! :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice to know you got your 4s, Braves. My parents got theirs recently and I've been messing around with it when they aren't, slick device. Runs smooth, and Siri works much better than I thought it would, I can say I am jealous.

As for quality of the phone, I have to say the iPhone's build far exceeds anything else, though I have to check out the Razr for myself. Our Incredible feel cheap especially holding it after you get your hands on a iphone. But I can say I got the bigger screen now:D

Yeah the apps are mostly paid apps, but the difference is they're usually better quality. Apple's strict hold on their appstore means only quality apps come out to it.

I just updated my parents iPhones with the latest update of iOS so make sure to do that to fix any battery issues.

It's a great phone, just don't like the OS or how limited it feels, especially out of the box. I can say after a couple days of messing around with the iphone that I like it more than I used to (it's the hands on time with devices that really change perspective). The OS is a ton easier to navigate for the non-savvy to navigate on than on Android and I didn't see any hiccups in it, other than Siri. The lack of customization and freedom is what turns me away from Apple products though. I'd pay a pretty penny if Android came out with hardware as high quality as the iphone 4 though. I'm not gonna lie either, first day with the new iphones in the house I spent a good 5 minutes just admiring the hardware; simple, clean, sleek, and luxurious. I don't see why other companies haven't caught up to the quality in their hardware yet. My parents put a case on each of theirs and it just kills the look, absolutely kills it. Makes it bulky and just ruins the simplicity of it, like having a victoria's secret model wear a turtleneck and sweatpants :D:D:D

You won't get a hard time from me. You're a quality member on this board and helpful, especially in this Incredible section of the board which seems to be on its last legs. As long as your happy with your choice then our opinions towards your phone of choice shouldn't matter. I'll never switch to iphone, but again I can see why people like their products, it's seamless, easy to use, and covers pretty much all daily needs and some (especially with Siri). Heck, maybe one day you'll be back on Android, but even if not you're one of the rare people who can respect both camps and have a meaningful opinion between the two camps, unlike the "fanboys". Just check in every once in awhile:)

kck

Reaction score
Hi Bravesfan,

Thanks for the update on your new phone.

I was wondering if you were using the stock battery with your Incredible?

Also the screen size always baffled me with the IPhone. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to carry around a tablet in my pocket. I work construction so I want my phone to have a chance of surviving in my pocket. That was why I went with the Incredible in the first place over some of the larger screens at the time. It just seems now that the screens are getting larger without as much borders therefore not dramatically increasing the overall size of the phone. Which is why I don't understand why the IPhone still uses the 3.5" screen. I played with one at the store and the display is amazing but it is still 3.5".

Look forward to hearing more from you after the honeymoon is over with your IPhone.