2.3.6 Now has a root method!

casper05lly

Reaction score
Even through root explorer, I can't remove apps I don't want? I already have Root Explorer installed, but I can't do anything with it besides view the files because I'm not yet rooted.

Yes. If the bloat ware is not there it will not allow it to update. Even if u freeze the bloat ware it has to be unfrozen to get update

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Tsip85

Reaction score
OK, I gotcha. I can freeze the apps w/ TiBackup, and un-freeze if/when I want to update. I just picked up the phone today and immediately ran the update for 2.3.6, but there are so many apps I'm used to having w/ my Droid that I just have to root this thing. I figure freezing apps is good enough just to keep them from running as I doubt I'll come close to using 24GB of memory. But I still can't believe that all the system apps and bloatware take up 8 Gigs!!

casper05lly

Reaction score
Ya. I rooted to change font and screen shot app

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Tsip85

Reaction score
B/C I'm new to this phone, and it's been a really long time since I rooted, you think you could PM me steps to do it? I read the link in the first post and it seemed a little vague. Also, do I need to install new drivers, or would the Motorola drivers i used to root my Droid be ok? I registerred for the Razr site linked to in another post, but I haven't received an email to activate the account so i can't see the drivers link or any of the other ones.

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Tsip - you will most likely need the new drivers (they can be found in the OP of this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html )...

Once you download the root exploit, extract / open and plug your phone in via USB - make sure that USB debugging is enabled and you are in "charge only" mode...run the program (root exploit) - phone should reboot a couple of times thru the process...once completed, safely disconnect and you should be rooted.

Tsip85

Reaction score
Always nice to reboot and see "Superuser" in the app drawer! thanks for your help...that was the easiest root I've ever used! Thanks to the OP for the link and a huge thanks to the developer!

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Always nice to reboot and see "Superuser" in the app drawer! thanks for your help...that was the easiest root I've ever used! Thanks to the OP for the link and a huge thanks to the developer!

Woot, congrats! Glad you got it...enjoy!

Tsip85

Reaction score
Now, one last question before I start "playing," if I'm reading everything correctly, I can't receive or install OTA updates if I remove bloatware apps. I can freeze them in TiBU and would have to un-freeze them to do an OTA update...correct? So, if I really wanted them gone, would I be able to install these updates from a leaked DL on here? I really can't stand having a bunch of crap on my phone that will never get used. Even if I hide it, I know it's there taking up space...even if it's just a single byte for the icon. Just wondering what all
I can do to clean up my phone now that I'm rooted and what y'alls opinion is of the best thing to do with the Razr, short of flashing a different ROM.

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Correct on the OTA's...you will need to have the phone back to its stock form (root doesn't matter but bloat must be intact)...I don't generally recommend deleting said apps but I understand how they bother some people being on the phone...we do have restore files which if you delete files or have a booboo while modding it, you can flash back to stock 2.3.6 in this utility... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/198379-updated-droid-razr-utility-windows.html

Tsip85

Reaction score
OK, then let me ask this...is there a way to hide the unwanted apps? I count no less than a dozen in my app drawer that I will never click on...just wasted space and clutter for me to sort through. If I know I can get the same updates and flash them myself, rather than OTA, then I'd probably just remove them completely. But, in the meantime, as I learn more about the Razr and get used to it, I'm content with freezing them so they don't run, but can I hide them? Out of sight, out of mind...

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Well, yes there is...if you use an alternate launcher such as Go Launcher EX, ADW.ex, launcher pro, etc...or you can use root explorer and rename the files (/system/app) to bloat.apk.bak (adding the .bak extension should remove the app from the file drawer). When the next OTA comes, you will need to rename them back by removing the .bak extension.

Tsip85

Reaction score
I think I hear what you're saying. I do use GO Launcher, so this may be something to try. You're saying go into my /system/app folder and find the apps I don't like...I'll use flkr as an example...rename "blur_flickr.apk" to "blur_flickr.apk.bak" and that should hide it? Then, when an OTA is available, I would just go back into RE and delete the .bak on those that I renamed? Soounds easy enough. If that's the case, tell me if this would work: Could I back up ALL system apps & data in TiBU, then delete everything I don't want? Then, when an OTA is available, just restore all the back up files?

I know I'm basically asking the same thing over and over, but here's where I'm coming from...I've had a Droid 1 for quite a while and as we all know, it didn't have much memory. I ran quite a few custom ROMs, mostly Liquid ROMs, which slim it down quite a bit. If everything ran smoothly, I wouldn't flash another ROM unless I eventually ame across a problem. If the Razr is running smooth, and I like the ROM that's on here, I probably won't care about too many OTAs unless they decide to drop ICS. It seems more worth it to me to free up memory, and thus speed, than to have a bunch of crap "hidden" on here that will never get used just in case an OTA drops. From my past expierence, ROMs are usually leaked here before the OTA anyway, and I could flash it then...correct? Or, will I sitll not even be able to flash a leaked ROM without the bloat?

Would my TiBU idea work? Backing it all up, deleting garbage, then restoring backup before flashing updated ROM?

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Yes, in theory that should work - however, I think when you restore them, they will have to be restore to the /system/app area with the correct permissions (is generally always rw-,r--,r--)...however, make sure that some of the blur you are going to be removed is safe to remove - some of the blur is system dependant and although you have no use for it, it might be needed to make the gallery app function correctly. There should be a list of bloat that is safe to remove and that would be the best place to start...

Also, you can use Razr Bootstrapper & make a nandroid backup and use that for restore as well...

Let me see if I can find the link for bloat that is safe to remove.

Tsip85

Reaction score
Didn't think about making a nandroid. That would definitely be the easist route. Is there a link for Bootstrapper, or did it install when I rooted? I assume Bootstrapper is an equivilent to RZRecovery (think that's what I used last on the Droid).