2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbtkd

Reaction score
lol i thought that the update was today because my computer clock said the 18th. so how will the roll out work? like in stages? or all at once or what?

Last time they did 1,000 the first day, 10,000 the second, then nothing for two days, then 100,000 per day until done. This time around there was someone saying it was going to be 250,000 the first day, so who knows?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Just unrooted and eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 2.1. Its like Christmas when you are little, you know you aren't getting EXACTLY what you want but for some odd reason I'm still excited even though I've already used everything that comes in the update :blush:

Yea and the google update is like the small present ya got to open on xmas eve just to shut ya up..

Were Droiders this whiny for 2.0.1 as well? That update wasn't even a present...it was a can of Fix a Flat for a blown tire.

droid_tlc

Reaction score
So excited!! :icon_ banana:

Does anyone know if the 2.1 update will fix the buttons that are lit up(back,menu,home,search) when placed in the multimedia dock?

bass_lover1

Reaction score
lol i thought that the update was today because my computer clock said the 18th. so how will the roll out work? like in stages? or all at once or what?

Last time they did 1,000 the first day, 10,000 the second, then nothing for two days, then 100,000 per day until done. This time around there was someone saying it was going to be 250,000 the first day, so who knows?

From when 2.0.1 was released until now, the number of Droids has probably doubled, so it could take twice as long as the last update for everyone to get it, assuming they stick with the same roll-out schedule. Hopefully they're aware of this and will kick it up a notch to get the updates out sooner.

peterjariel

Reaction score
Dam if 2.1 is rootable would all the themes and custom boot loader and everything I've done to my phone have to be reprogram or would I be able to use the same files.

peterjariel

Reaction score
Also my wife wants to know if the Eris is getting the 2.1 does anyone know?

Isaiah

Reaction score
So excited!! :icon_ banana:

Does anyone know if the 2.1 update will fix the buttons that are lit up(back,menu,home,search) when placed in the multimedia dock?

God i soooo hope so. But I doubt it. sooo poorly designed :-\

Penguissimo

Reaction score
Wondering if iphone jailbreaker and nonjailbreakers squabble like we do?

I've never had an iPhone, but I did own a jailbroken iPod Touch, and I can tell you that the iPhone community and the Droid community are so different that neither would recognize the other. (I often feel quite awkward having feet in both camps!)

The main issue is that jailbreaking is both far easier to do and far easier to screw up than rooting, so there's more or less a consensus in the iPhone world that people who can't figure out jailbreaking even with an illustrated guide should probably just stay away from it altogether. And Apple's requirement that all current-gen devices have their firmware installs signed by Apple every time the device is restored, combined with their dogged insistence on releasing firmware updates that do nothing but prevent jailbreaking (and refusal to sign older, jailbreakable firmwares) doesn't help.

And of course the iPhone community has a lower median level of technological ability than the Droid community. As a result, most jailbreak-related squabbling among iPhone users is between the "I did no research/am easily confused by the research I did and now my iPhone is screwed up" folks and the "You idiot, why would you not have looked into this more carefully; there's nothing that can be done" folks. And there's always a healthy contingent of "here's what you need to do: (completely useless, irrelevant, and/or harmful advice)" people.

And all of it can get much more vicious than anything I've seen in my (admittedly short) time here, especially since iPhone users tend to create new threads asking the same questions that have been answered dozens of times on the same boards, which wears on the patience of the handful of posters who know what they're doing. You guys don't know how good you have it :)

Rooting is definitely easier to do then jailbreaking an ipod. To root a droid all you do is install an update.zip. literally takes 10 seconds. An itouch or iphone you have to like download all that crap and reboot like 3 times and unplug and replug... DROIIIIID

droid>iphone

I'm totally with you. And the things you can do with a jailbroken iPod/iPhone are NOTHING compared to what you can do with even a STOCK Droid (you have to jailbreak to even install the Google Voice app on an iPhone, fergawdsake).

Then you root the Droid, and it's a joke to even mention the iPhone in the same conversation. :icon_ banana:

MrKleen

Reaction score
I got the 2.0.1 update before the December launch date that they announced.

It would be nice if they did this one in the same order...

chevybob20

Reaction score
This is my first update as a Droid owner and I have a few questions that I hope I can get answered.

1) Will this update prevent or possibly prevent tethering using PDAnet?

2) If I wanted to wait on installing the update, how do I do this if possible?

3) If I choose to block the installation of the new update (if possible) could I install it at a later date? If so, how do I do this?

By the way, this is a great forum. I've been lurking for quite a while. Thanks to all that participate.

yourname93

Reaction score
no.
yes, and it will give you the option to install now or later.
and finally yes.just go to settings go to about phone and got to update system.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
So since we are all on this one thread can anyone answer an important question.

If you are running widgets on the stock launcher and using a different one such as Helix or Home ++ or GDE.... do the widgets continue to run on the stock launcher while you're using an alternative?

Should you delete the widgets on the stock launcher to speed up your Droid if you use Helix?

Status
Not open for further replies.