2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRTFREAK_239

Reaction score
ill wait until i hear how the update goes then ill think about going back to stock...buglessbeast is really nice right now running at 800

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted or not but can you use the smoked glass theme on the new 2.1 update?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As stated before the update may have software changes for flash, but flash is going to be put out by adobe not vzw/moto.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I'll give it a try , and if I don't like it I can just root again by going back to 2.0.1 with RDSlite and flashing a custom ROM . I don't need root access for this .

Nick177th

Reaction score
not having 5 screens is disappointing. All this talk about everyone having good luck with Helix makes me wonder why mine is so slow and laggy, not to mention it kills my battery.

I have helix1. No problems at all. I have scene a slight increase in battery usage though. I love it though.

slimsuse

Reaction score
not having 5 screens is disappointing. All this talk about everyone having good luck with Helix makes me wonder why mine is so slow and laggy, not to mention it kills my battery.

I have helix1. No problems at all. I have scene a slight increase in battery usage though. I love it though.

I have sifted through all of these posts, and it seems as though everyone wants the 3d app drawer and the 5 screens. give it a few and the applauncher will work for 2.1/// then u will have it....

alanbk

Reaction score
lol at all those who thinks flash is from VZW or Moto..... and complaining about it.

People complaining about Outlook support and other e-mail stuff should just wait for someone to write an app, we all know the e-mail that comes stock with any computer sucks. Someone will write a better one.
QUOTE]

I've been using exchange support/active sync over the internet since day 1 and have never had any problems. Mail, contacts, Calander all sync push both ways real time.

Lefty123

Reaction score
I have been patiently waiting to upgrade my 2 year old smart phone for the 'Next Release' of the Droid. I was hoping they would fix some keyboard issues in a new hardware version. Is this 2.1 the only upgrade to occur for some while, just the software or is there a hardware upgrade planned soon too that is worth waiting for. thanks

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola just confirmed in the comments on their Facebook post that this update only has 3 screens.

With the existence of Helix I'm not sure that's a big deal anyways.

Bummer :icon_evil:. Out of the 2.1 features that were being discussed before the OTA update was announced, more than 3 home screens was the new "feature" I most wanted as it would allow me to re-enable the full screen CalWidget. Previously I used PandaHome for extra screens, but after getting 2.0.1 Panda got really unstable so I was forced to remove it. And for that reason, I am really reluctant to install another "home replacement."

Helix 1.2 has been rock solid for me - no lags, not a single FC - absolutely the best alternative home I've used yet.

I don't understand the 3 screen limitation - the custom ROMs have been running 2.1 launchers with 5 screens for a long time now, even on 2.0.1 ROMs.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I understand why, but Im sure I dont support the popular opinion.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
Wondering if iphone jailbreaker and nonjailbreakers squabble like we do?

I've never had an iPhone, but I did own a jailbroken iPod Touch, and I can tell you that the iPhone community and the Droid community are so different that neither would recognize the other. (I often feel quite awkward having feet in both camps!)

The main issue is that jailbreaking is both far easier to do and far easier to screw up than rooting, so there's more or less a consensus in the iPhone world that people who can't figure out jailbreaking even with an illustrated guide should probably just stay away from it altogether. And Apple's requirement that all current-gen devices have their firmware installs signed by Apple every time the device is restored, combined with their dogged insistence on releasing firmware updates that do nothing but prevent jailbreaking (and refusal to sign older, jailbreakable firmwares) doesn't help.

And of course the iPhone community has a lower median level of technological ability than the Droid community. As a result, most jailbreak-related squabbling among iPhone users is between the "I did no research/am easily confused by the research I did and now my iPhone is screwed up" folks and the "You idiot, why would you not have looked into this more carefully; there's nothing that can be done" folks. And there's always a healthy contingent of "here's what you need to do: (completely useless, irrelevant, and/or harmful advice)" people.

And all of it can get much more vicious than anything I've seen in my (admittedly short) time here, especially since iPhone users tend to create new threads asking the same questions that have been answered dozens of times on the same boards, which wears on the patience of the handful of posters who know what they're doing. You guys don't know how good you have it :)

Rooting is definitely easier to do then jailbreaking an ipod. To root a droid all you do is install an update.zip. literally takes 10 seconds. An itouch or iphone you have to like download all that crap and reboot like 3 times and unplug and replug... DROIIIIID

droid>iphone

Aluminum21

Reaction score
if I use helix, will I still have the live wallpaper with the 2.1 update?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
ESE53 isn't quite as easy to root as 2.0.1.

Its not hard by any means, but not as easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.