15 year olds and smartphones... what are your feelings towards it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exayex

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Ya. No one should have that many stipulations over something as simple as a phone. I've had one since the OG launched. Let's be honest it's a toy, entertainment for ur child. It makes them happy and look good around friends with one. These days phones show class and social status, its sad but true.

Kids are broke, if u got the money its unnecessary to make them pay what little they have. They're only young once, spoil em. They'd want to be able to do the same for their kids. That over parental paranoia would really create a rift between us in my house. Do you trust your kids or not? That's all they want from you.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

Exactly. My parents trusted me. I worked since 14 the maximum hours every week. I paid my own cell phone bill, and I stayed out as late as I wanted and did what I wanted. My family supported me and knew if they tried to control every aspect of my life, I'd rebel. Kids are going to sext, they're going to drink, etc. And you parents can't stop it no matter how hard you try. Because now your kids are doing it behind your back.

By having my parents trust, I told then when I was going out to drink and where. I told them when I was leaving late at night to see my girlfriend. My mom is my best friend now and I'm not dead.

For the record I've known many girls with overly strict parents such as the ones here and it wasn't hard to get them out of their house. All you guys are doing is attempting to shelter your kids and creating a rift between the family.

So yes, I still stand by my nazi family statement.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Ya. No one should have that many stipulations over something as simple as a phone. I've had one since the OG launched. Let's be honest it's a toy, entertainment for ur child. It makes them happy and look good around friends with one. These days phones show class and social status, its sad but true.

Kids are broke, if u got the money its unnecessary to make them pay what little they have. They're only young once, spoil em. They'd want to be able to do the same for their kids. That over parental paranoia would really create a rift between us in my house. Do you trust your kids or not? That's all they want from you.

Exactly. My parents trusted me. I worked since 14 the maximum hours every week. I paid my own cell phone bill, and I stayed out as late as I wanted and did what I wanted. My family supported me and knew if they tried to control every aspect of my life, I'd rebel. Kids are going to sext, they're going to drink, etc. And you parents can't stop it no matter how hard you try. Because now your kids are doing it behind your back.

By having my parents trust, I told then when I was going out to drink and where. I told them when I was leaving late at night to see my girlfriend. My mom is my best friend now and I'm not dead.

For the record I've known many girls with overly strict parents such as the ones here and it wasn't hard to get them out of their house. All you guys are doing is attempting to shelter your kids and creating a rift between the family.

That's not trust, they just didn't care about you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Exayex

Reaction score

You're an awful troll. My mom dedicated her life to her children. She trusted I would be safe and call her for rides even at 2am on weeknights when she had to work the next mourning. She was at my school multiple times a week arguing with the staff to get me graduated early. She cared more than any other parents I've seen. She treated me like an adult from 14 on and it worked just fine. And like I said, her and I have had a better relationship for it. Probably better than the nazi parents and their kids.

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
My brother got his droid when he was 14. I got mine about 18. Personally I don't think it's necessary to have a smartphone sometimes I wish I didn't have a phone at all just because of some annoying people.
I'd let my kid have one. Hell if it was better then mine or figured out that it runs alot another then mine I'd take his phone and give him mine haha. I can't say kids will be kids cause well I still consider myself somewhat of a kid but it's only true. You can't expect your kid to break your rules one way or another. you got to think about you when you were a kid I'm pretty sure most of you didn't play exactly by your parents rules just think of it in their shoes. I'd say make rules but don't over do it and restrict them of every little thing cause in the end it'll probably make them be more rebellious once they get older. Just my .02

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
Thanks for the support you guys, didn't want to start a big stink but its interesting seeing everyones opinions. The reason I have this Droid Bionic signature is because its sort of a little "joke" I've seen, a few people might believe and freak out, but I really have a Droid 2 that's rooted and rommed :3

Sent from my Droid Bionic!

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
I have to ask.... why does the OP have "sent from my driod bionic" as a signature?

You can change your taptalk settings in your phone if you have the droidforums app.

Sent From A Supercharged Modded X

Edit: I meant you can change your signature in the settings ha

captain howdy

Reaction score
This is how I see it as a 40 year old. Smart phone are just mini computers that also makes phone call. I can see the benefits of have one from both sides of the fence. For the kid its a slice of entertainment, responsibility and freedom. A chance to start growing up. For the parent it can also be a great tool. Such and having the ability to instantly locate a child on a map and keeping in contact with the child. How many parents with missing children wish they had some form of a gps tracker on their child?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

tommyg562000

Reaction score

You're an awful troll. My mom dedicated her life to her children. She trusted I would be safe and call her for rides even at 2am on weeknights when she had to work the next mourning. She was at my school multiple times a week arguing with the staff to get me graduated early. She cared more than any other parents I've seen. She treated me like an adult from 14 on and it worked just fine. And like I said, her and I have had a better relationship for it. Probably better than the nazi parents and their kids.

Yeah, great mom there letting a 14 year old illegally drink alcohol. I'm sure she's super awesome though;)

Zog

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

So its safe to assume your kids, and probably you, have poor money management skills. That's just dumb to pay everything for them; you're basically promoting the welfare system.

Lol, its never safe to assume anything. Couldn't be more wrong.

They bought their cars and pay the insurance. I pay the phone bill and other things in return for a proper gpa.

Promote spoils for success, not consequences for failure.

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
Here's the deal, the average 15 does not NEED a smartphone. I don't need one either, but just like some people are into cars, or motorcycles, or videogames. Im into phones, that's just something im interested in and enjoy.

Sent from my Droid Bionic!

gthotie5

Reaction score
Got my first cellphone when I was 10.
Smartphone at 17.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.