Who Buys Their Kid A Smart Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I see it all the time in here, and for you kids that see this please don't take offense. What parent, in their right mind buys their kid a smart phone? I don't care it it's Windows Mobile, Blackberry Storm, or Droid. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying don't get your kids nice things. Spoil the hell out of the little rug rats if you want, that's your business. But man, do you not realize that giving a kid a smart phone is giving them almost total unlimited access to the internet. Unsupervised?

I'm not a parent. Never had an interest in kids, and I'm not saying I would do a better job if I did have a child. But I know there is just no way I would give my kid a Droid. A play station, yes. But a phone? they'd get the cheapest phone I could find. With clear instructions that there would be no texting during school hours.

Yet I see kids as young as 13 years old with Droids. Heck even if they got the money to buy their own Droid I still wouldn't let them have one. Confiscated until they are 18 (by then they wouldn't want the Droid):icon_ devil:

I have heard from some kids who say that they have proven to their parents that they are responsible enough and have got their parents trust. I wouldn't do it, just too much stuff out there for them to get in trouble with.

That's my opinion. I'd be happy to hear yours if you agree with me or disagree with me.

sorry, but kids have access to the internet just about anywhere they go. you have to rear them with good values and trust they make good choices. "Teach your children well..."
Just got my 17 y/o daughter an Eris. Got my 18 y/o daughter a BB Storm as she started Wake Forest. They are as tech savy as moi. Shoot, when I was 14 a copy of OUI magazine was the cat's behind. Can't imagine if I'd of had the internet. :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_ banana:

spencern12

Reaction score
I bought my own DROID

Im 16 years old and work in the construction biz. I bought my droid to help make things simple. It has helped I keep all my biz work and our, emails, and calender updates. I also started a Youtube page to show just how cool the Android OS really is.

Now im not saying that every kid with a DROID needs a job but its also a great learning experience.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/allaroundtech101

Fuglly

Reaction score
i'm 17 and work in an auto shop as a lube technician. I've learned everything about cars myself and have bought all my own tools which are *gasp* too expensive... but u can neeever have enough tools

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Im 16 years old and work in the construction biz.

I have to ask... Details?

I happen to work construction for BE&K Building Group (KBR subsidiary), and I can vouch for the fact that the occupational hazards make it impossible for him to work actual construction under the age of 18. I graduated high-school half a year early and still couldn't start work until my birthday. So unless he works in an office away from site or something to that effect, I don't think so.

I'm 21.

EDIT: I did some homework in my book, turns out this isn't true after all. 16 is the established age but there are lots of limitation as to what he can do on a site (he couldn't do anything at all on any job I work on, except office and sales). Turns out my limitation was because my focus was to operate heavy machinery, which is outlined by FLSA to be prohibited.

Fuglly

Reaction score
just because its illegal doesnt mean he doesnt do it. haha ill stop there... because i know from personal experiences... not saying i would ever work a job that would be illegal for me!!! ;)

Q

qoncept

When I lived in Alabama, our house was near a private school. It looked like about 75% of the kids had brand new cars, and the rest walked. My assumption is that these kids were so spoiled and contientious that if they couldn't have a brand new car, they'd rather walk. If I ever have kids that spoiled... well, I never will. When I was in high school, my buddy's 15 year old Camaro was the coolest car in school.

Smart phones for kids is just ridiculous. Paying for the phone up front is one thing, but the service for these things is straight up expensive. And for what? For kids, it's a toy and nothing else. I have a smart phone because otherwise I'd be carrying a PDA to keep myself organized. Not that I don't do my share of playing, but it's a tool first, and one that kids and teens simply don't need.

Of course, I'm cynical enough that I don't think a lot of the adults that have smart phones should.

Edit: One thing.. if a parent decides their kid needs a cell phone and needs to be able to play games at school, fine. Get them a cheap flip phone and an iPod touch.

One more edit: As kids start to get jobs and pay for it themselves (ie, regular jobs where they can count on a paycheck, not babysitting and mowing the neighbor's lawn), it's their business. I think it's a bad decision for them in almost all cases, and if they are texting during school, well.. they need to grow up at some point. They'll learn.

bulldog521

Reaction score
I really think parents are too over protective. I just gave my 13 year old a smartphone, same one I have, Pantech Burst. I don't have the spyware or anything installed on it because I think phones should be private. I mean, really, if you were a kid, would you really want your parents knowing your every move? No, I want my daughter to have her privacy. I know she would not look at anything bad. It's called trust... If you don't want to give a smartphone to you kid because you think they will look at inappropriate stuff, you don't fully trust them. Just because they are young doesn't mean they can't handle a smartphone.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really think parents are too over protective. I just gave my 13 year old a smartphone, same one I have, Pantech Burst. I don't have the spyware or anything installed on it because I think phones should be private. I mean, really, if you were a kid, would you really want your parents knowing your every move? No, I want my daughter to have her privacy. I know she would not look at anything bad. It's called trust... If you don't want to give a smartphone to you kid because you think they will look at inappropriate stuff, you don't fully trust them. Just because they are young doesn't mean they can't handle a smartphone.

It's unfortunate that you trust your 13 year old that much. The only privacy a teenager should have is in the bathroom.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

nikecar

Reaction score
Nothing to do with phones, but related subject.

My wife worked for our insurance company. This one guy called to add a $50k Audi to his policy for his 16yo kid. Needless to say, the kid totalled it within a few weeks.

At least you aren't him.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
UrbanBounca said:
It's unfortunate that you trust your 13 year old that much. The only privacy a teenager should have is in the bathroom.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

I agree...teenagers are still learning and it is our job to protect them. They may be very trustworthy but the rest of the world is not. The information that kids make public on fb is candy for the pedophile looking for his next victim. You don't only have to know what your kids are sending out but know what they are receiving. My kids were trustworthy also but over the internet, the only privacy they got was. ..none! No laptops, pc in kitchen to be used only during certain hours. This was not because I did not trust them but to protect them and teach them. My job of teaching them did not magically stop when they reached 13 or 18 but was a process in accordance to what they did and were exposed to. How can I know what guidance to give them if I have no idea what they are doing. Fortunately, my kids trusted me with that job and understood that some privileges they would not get until they were on their own. Believe me, they were not perfect and they gave me plenty of opportunities for teachable moments but I would've never had those if I just let them do whatever and have whatever they wanted without any supervision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Big +1! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Natey2

Reaction score
It's the peer-pressure. I know a dad who gave his 6-year old his old iPhone, and she plays Angry Birds on it. Many other 1st graders there pressure their parents for something similar now. These small kids know why an old iPhone is much better than a new flip phone. Lol.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I gave my old OG D to my little guy as something to play games on. It doesn't have service on it, but he can connect to our wifi. He does a good job asking before getting online. He usually only wants online to play a few of his games.

Sent from my UK Blue Xparent Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Peer pressure is tough. My oldest was being pressured by his friend to go to a party. I wouldn't let him go because I didn't feel comfortable. After his friends left, he thanked me for giving him an easier way out because his friends had been bugging him all week and he was getting sick of telling them he knew he couldn't go.

I can see an old phone without internet access for a child to play games on at home or while traveling. But on their own, no way.

My youngest actually got a non-data regular phone while still in high school. My rules were that I can check it whenever I want and that if he was ever caught using it during class means its gone. Fortunately my kids know that I say what I mean and mean what I say and that I actually go through the trouble to find out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.