15 year olds and smartphones... what are your feelings towards it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exayex

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Charles2011

Reaction score
I think all kids should start to get into the tech stuff, specially a 15 yr old, it is only going to get better and faster and they will need to know more about tech then parents and grandparents every had to. Every thing is tech these days, with that said they just just need an overseer so to speak to make sure they are not getting into trouble with it. It doesn't need to be a parent if they are not techie, as long as it is some one who will report to the parent if things start to go wrong.

Yep. Everything is tech now...
Even schools will eventually be online only...

Yea my kids come home and talk about smart boards?? i remember when a smart board was a over head projector, and a plastic work sheet.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Holy nazi families!

Lol! But its not nazi families. We are families that actually put in the time to care that our kids have what it takes to make it in the world today.. That includes being kept safe so that they are alive as adults, a good education beyond what is on the two dimensional screen, and a sense of responsibility and respect towards themselves, the ones they love and their community.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
Insidious

Insidious

Reaction score
Haha only like 2! I've converted most of my friends to Android! :3

Sent from my Droid Bionic!

FernBch

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

You obviously didn't read the CBS news report about the teens in Illinois. We don't want our kids to have that on their record. Those kids will have a hard time IF they ever get the opportunity for that really good job, school, or many other things for that matter. The society we live in will frown on their record and most will only look at the heading and care nothing of the story behind it.

My DroidX thrives on the the DarkSlide!!

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Just talk to them about sexting and all that crap.

Carelessly swyped on my phone so there may be some weird typos

Beka27

Reaction score
For teenagers, a phone is a necessity for safety reasons. A smartphone is not. I agree with the one poster who had her kids pay their own data plan. It'll be especially tricky now with tiered data... trying to keep kids under the limit. I also think unless the kid knows what they are doing, there should be no rooting. Who replaces the phone if it gets irreparably broken?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
For teenagers, a phone is a necessity for safety reasons. A smartphone is not. I agree with the one poster who had her kids pay their own data plan. It'll be especially tricky now with tiered data... trying to keep kids under the limit. I also think unless the kid knows what they are doing, there should be no rooting. Who replaces the phone if it gets irreparably broken?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I can't say that I agree with you. A cell phone is not a necessity. It is a luxury unless you use it for work. I use mine for work all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a cell phone. But I don't believe its a right to have one, even for safety reasons. That's what made me so angry when welfare recipients were getting free cell phones with free minutes and the government was saying that cell phones are a right.

sent from my ApeX

Zog

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Ya. No one should have that many stipulations over something as simple as a phone. I've had one since the OG launched. Let's be honest it's a toy, entertainment for ur child. It makes them happy and look good around friends with one. These days phones show class and social status, its sad but true.

Kids are broke, if u got the money its unnecessary to make them pay what little they have. They're only young once, spoil em. They'd want to be able to do the same for their kids. That over parental paranoia would really create a rift between us in my house. Do you trust your kids or not? That's all they want from you.

Gingercomb :: Liberty v9

Zog

Reaction score
Your kid should know right from wrong. They know how to behave online these days, growing up infront of a screen is the norm, who cares how much they are on it.. as long as they get their shtuff done, lay off em.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Ya. No one should have that many stipulations over something as simple as a phone. I've had one since the OG launched. Let's be honest it's a toy, entertainment for ur child. It makes them happy and look good around friends with one. These days phones show class and social status, its sad but true.

Kids are broke, if u got the money its unnecessary to make them pay what little they have. They're only young once, spoil em. They'd want to be able to do the same for their kids. That over parental paranoia would really create a rift between us in my house. Do you trust your kids or not? That's all they want from you.

So its safe to assume your kids, and probably you, have poor money management skills. That's just dumb to pay everything for them; you're basically promoting the welfare system.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my parents to get my 14 year old brother one. But he's not one of those people that doesn't pay attention because of a phone. It's a necessity nowadays. I think you need a smart phone as soon as u enter high school

Exayex

Reaction score
Holy nazi families!

Exactly. My parents trusted me. I worked since 14 the maximum hours every week. I paid my own cell phone bill, and I stayed out as late as I wanted and did what I wanted. My family supported me and knew if they tried to control every aspect of my life, I'd rebel. Kids are going to sext, they're going to drink, etc. And you parents can't stop it no matter how hard you try. Because now your kids are doing it behind your back.

By having my parents trust, I told then when I was going out to drink and where. I told them when I was leaving late at night to see my girlfriend. My mom is my best friend now and I'm not dead.

For the record I've known many girls with overly strict parents such as the ones here and it wasn't hard to get them out of their house. All you guys are doing is attempting to shelter your kids and creating a rift between the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.