Zoom "IN" in Google Maps

Plastics

Reaction score
Why am I able to zoom in so far on google maps (satellite mode). I zoom in and after so far I get a white grid screen (with the blinking blue location icon) that has the "zoom out " symbol. I thought that I would be able to zoom in to a location and almost see the front of a house/buisness. Or do I need to download google earth? If so, how do I do that?

Thank you :huh:

fatasian

Reaction score
You're thinking of street view.
long tap a spot on the map you want to see street view. when the little balloon pops up touch it, then hit street view.

Took me a little bit to figure this out too..

also try out the compass option.. pretty slick..

djtrype

Reaction score
Some places still don't have street view, usually a pretty rural area and some places don't have a full zoom either. For instance my hometown in Louisiana doesn't even have the last two tabs to zoom into, even on a CPU. So, the program still has some, but not many, limitations.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Zooming in all the way in Maps

I have the same exact problem as you. I haven’t seen anyone else besides us with this problem. It has nothing to do with the street view feature. If you want a “street view”, of a location, it simple. While you’re in the maps app, using the “satellite” layer, simply press and hold a location. When the address of the location pops up, there will be a picture besides it. Press on the picture and a menu set of options appears. If the “street view” feature is available for that location, the “street view”option will appear. Choose the “street view” option and you’re taken to the street view.

As far as zooming is concerned, I can only zoom in so far until I get a white overlay with a bunch of little magnifying glasses basically telling me to zoom out. This just started happening yesterday. I've had my Droid for 3 weeks and the maps were working fine until yesterday. Prior to yesterday, I was able to zoom in all the way and never saw the white overlay before.

I called Verizon and they didn't know how to resolve it. I did a factory rest and it didn't fix it. I'm going into the Verizon store today to perhaps exchange my Droid for a new one. I'll let you know what happens. If the representative resolves the issue, I’ll give you the fix. If you are still within your 30 days of purchase, I suggest you look into the issue since it is in fact a defect and not a normal function of the Droid to behave in this manner.

Trever1t

Reaction score
I dont think it has anything at all to do with the droid hardware, or software for that matter. I have the same issue on my laptop as well as the Droid and I'm certain it's the (public) limitations of Google Maps.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Does your Droid show the same white overlay?

Does your Droid show the same white overlay when you zoom in all the way?

dopeskwyd

Reaction score
When you zoom into an area that has not yet been photographed to such a detail then you will get the white screen. As Djtrype was saying it's usually somewhere out in the sticks. The image of my folks house out in the woods was like that until about two years ago. Everytime they update they add in new areas. And as long as there are satellites flying around up there they will keep adding more.

BAYtownBRAWLER

Reaction score
the google maps lady sounds like a chipmunk....

Just curious, when u have google maps on navigation mode, does the lady that speaks the directions speak really fast? it worked fine b4 and i have changed some things but now i cant figure out how to get the speech to speak at normal speed. can anyone help?

Erich_F

Reaction score
Just curious, when u have google maps on navigation mode, does the lady that speaks the directions speak really fast? it worked fine b4 and i have changed some things but now i cant figure out how to get the speech to speak at normal speed. can anyone help?

GOTO Settings.
Scroll down to and tap TEXT-to-Speech
Scroll down to and tap Speech Rate

Adjust as required.

Erich

Erich_F

Reaction score
I called Verizon and they didn't know how to resolve it. I did a factory rest and it didn't fix it. I'm going into the Verizon store today to perhaps exchange my Droid for a new one. I'll let you know what happens. If the representative resolves the issue, I’ll give you the fix. If you are still within your 30 days of purchase, I suggest you look into the issue since it is in fact a defect and not a normal function of the Droid to behave in this manner.

You're wasting yours and their's time. It has nothing to do with the Droid. It's an imagery limitation of the Google Map data. Have you ever used Google Maps on a PC?? It will do the same thing if you keep zooming in.

Why are folks so darn quick to cry "DEFECT!!" these days...as seen on this board, 75% of the issues are lack of experience or competence with the unit. Not anything to do with the Droid itself.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Here, for comparison purposes, I can zoom my satellite imagery down to the 100 ft scale, which is enough for me to count the bushes in my front yard. How far will yours go?

In case you don't know how to activate the scale:

When in Google Maps, tap the Menu button.
Tap More
Tap Labs
Select Scale Bar

Back out to the map dispay, scale will appear in lower left corner.

kevin1016

Reaction score
Wow, the more I read this forum, the more I feel sorry for the Verizon techs. They must deal with this sh!t non-stop.

darreno1

Reaction score
Google maps has always worked like that in satellite view as far as I can tell. It will only allow the zoom so far. On my 3g and Palm Pre it was the same way. This is strictly a google maps issue though. Google Earth on the other hand allows you to zoom all the way in. It's just that the Droid doesn't have it yet.

BTW even on the PC google maps only zooms to a certain distance in satellite view.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW, make sure you have updated Google Maps to have access to the Labs feature.

Just go to the market and search for Google Maps.

Yes, it will overwrite your existing default install, but you may remove the update if you wish (but why would you?) :)