Youtube blocking moble devices?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by justicw, Jul 6, 2010.

1. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to get on youtube last night for the first time in a while and HALF of my favorite video's are now blocked. At first I thought well maybe it's just the HD but it isn't. I did a search on AMV (because I like them hehe) and I'll be damned if a large portion of those are just the same "not available on moble". When did this happen and WTF is google thinking. Hell the ONLY time I go to youtub is on my droid

On a side note can someone send me an alternitive site I can look up WoW and AMV video's on my droid?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I think you have something set up wrong on your Droid. It shouldn't appear as a "mobile" device. Try turning off the high quality from mobile device setting, see if that works.

This is an educated guess. I very rarely use youtube.

3. lyam

lyam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Youtube allows the video uploader to specify whether videos are allowed to be viewed on mobile devices or not. Once you get flash on your device, you'll likely be able to switch your browser's user agent setting to desktop and visit the site using flash to view the videos as you would on your desktop computer.

4. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried this and it does not work (as of now anyway) The video does try to play but it just sets at the loading video screen. I'm going to download a third party browser and try it and see if I can bypass this.

5. lyam

lyam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame. I assumed a combination of Flash and user agest settings would allow us to bypass the restrictions on mobile devices.

6. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    I have tryed this as welll

I was about to do a post when I seen this thread........

it is true youtube is saying not able to see this video on a mobile device & it is the same video i looked at the other day an was able to view it.....

I finally googled the video found the youtube link clicked on it it brought me to the youtube mobile site still did not let me watch video saying i was on a mobile device....So I scrolled down to the bottom of the page clicked on view full site & then was able to watch the video not sure what happened maybe youtube did a update or something

by the way this only works if you are on 2.2/Froyo

7. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am on 2.2 and I tried to find the setting that you are talking about but all I found was "desktop" is that the setting you are talking about? I did try that mode and it seemed to come up but all I get is the loading video screen and it never starts playing.

8. ewells2420

ewells2420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ......why the hell would they do that? Makes no sense.

9. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    too many people downloading stuff from their phones I would assume...

....you're welcome

10. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is a error in youtube someone might have to email there tech support

I am guessing some one will have to email there tech support an ask them whats up I could careless due tot he fact its youtube I can live without it

11. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is what I have verified so far. My friend has a non rooted 2.1 HTC and he can NOT see ANY of the video's that I can see as being blocked. It seems that it is being filtered out on his device as we tried to search for the videos (word for word) that I could see as "not available for Mobile" on my droid. He could not find a single video that I could see which tells me that if you are using a Mobile device it is being filtered (even in searches). We tried this for about 10 video's ALL of them he could NOT see from his youtube app. They simply was not showing up in the search.

This seems to be user driven as the "syndicate" setting is what (according to youtube's support forum) is the deciding factor in whether or not it will show up on Mobile devices.

I've tried everything I know to try to get around it but I have failed lol.

the only reason I ran into this issue was because all of a sudden some of my favorites would no longer play (they did before less then a week ago)

12. ewells2420

ewells2420 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously andriod users arnt what windows users are to linux users.

Search tags for this page

bypass youtube mobile restriction

bypass youtube mobile restriction android

get around youtube mobile block
video blocked on device
why does youtube block mobile devices
youtube blocked on mobile
youtube blocking mobile devices
youtube video blocked on device
youtube video blocked on mobile
youtube videos blocked on mobile