Youtube blocking moble devices?

Bilgediver

Reaction score
this is what I have verified so far. My friend has a non rooted 2.1 HTC and he can NOT see ANY of the video's that I can see as being blocked. It seems that it is being filtered out on his device as we tried to search for the videos (word for word) that I could see as "not available for Mobile" on my droid. He could not find a single video that I could see which tells me that if you are using a Mobile device it is being filtered (even in searches). We tried this for about 10 video's ALL of them he could NOT see from his youtube app. They simply was not showing up in the search.

This seems to be user driven as the "syndicate" setting is what (according to youtube's support forum) is the deciding factor in whether or not it will show up on Mobile devices.

I've tried everything I know to try to get around it but I have failed lol.

the only reason I ran into this issue was because all of a sudden some of my favorites would no longer play (they did before less then a week ago)

That's because flash only works with android 2.2 and above.
Is he using the android youtubeb app?

If not, try skyfire, it converts flash videos to html5 and plays them inside skyfire. It has a quick button which switches between mobile and desktop versions.

Its how I got youtube to play on the velocity micro cruz tablet I bought at borders for my gf. It runs Android 2.0

Droidforums.net appified!

billyidle

Reaction score
Silver, it's not youtube choosing to block. Take the case of music videos, most of the major labels block their artists music videos because deals have not been made between the label and youtube. Why? The music industry has a now long track record of fighting the internet, rather than trying to innovate, they protect themselves. Until the labels feel they can make money from mobile video, as they do with radio and MTVs, mobile videos will be fought to be blocked.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Silver, it's not youtube choosing to block. Take the case of music videos, most of the major labels block their artists music videos because deals have not been made between the label and youtube. Why? The music industry has a now long track record of fighting the internet, rather than trying to innovate, they protect themselves. Until the labels feel they can make money from mobile video, as they do with radio and MTVs, mobile videos will be fought to be blocked.
But certain videos are being blocked from mobile. I am thinking it is a bandwidth issue (Possibly HQ only videos).
Try this:
Search for this video:
[video=youtube;8Mhi3vW7H50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mhi3vW7H50"]YouTube - Old Crow Medicine Show - "Tell It To Me (Live)"[/video]
YouTube - Old Crow Medicine Show - "Tell It To Me (Live)" (ID# 8Mhi3vW7H50)
Now try to find it on your phone, it is not in the youtube app, and if you go to the website through your browser, you will get an error message. This just started happening recently.

billyidle

Reaction score
Yes the videos ARE blocked, but it is NOT youtube's choice. It is the record labels not being able to work a deal out with youtube. Youtube is absolutely powerless to change the situation.
The same thing happened in the UK and Europe as well. I'm not sure if they were able to work it out over there though.
As of now, Youtube hasn't worked out a licensing deal with the major record labels yet. And knowing how the record labels deal with the internet, we will probably never have mobile music videos on Youtube.

Last edited: