Youtube apps- Xoom vs iPad 2- what's up here?

manman

Reaction score
I just picked up the wifi xoom today to do a comparison and see if it could top my iPad 2. I know the strengths and weaknesses of both on paper, but the xoom's one 'strength' I was really hoping to come through was it's higher rez display. So far I've been let down... That's been the case in a few areas, but the one thing I wanted to ask about was youtube.

I was watching this video [video=youtube;a1IpPpB3iWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI[/video] to see what some higher quality youtube videos looked like. On the iPad it's crystal clear, very nice at full screen. On the xoom... it's a blurry pixelated mess... it looks terrible! And the 'HQ' toggle is turned on. if I turn it off it gets even worse. I can't imagine this is just the higher resolution of the xoom screen, it wouldnt' make THAT much of a difference... is there some way to change the resolution on the xoom and it just comes set low out of the box or something?? Otherwise I just don't get it.

I've looked at several videos, websites etc on this thing, and the iPad's display is just looking much better to me. Really not what I expected.

Now please before anyone slams me- I'm NOT an Apple fanboy looking to bash the Xoom. I got the xoom thinking (actually hoping) 95% this thing would make me ditch my iPad almost immediately. I'm really looking to see if there's something I'm missing here.

EDIT: um...sorry for the big video thumbnail, i'm new around here. not sure how to turn that off and keep the link working...

Last edited:

kaylward

Reaction score
Looks great here running on wifi in hand. Followed your link and I got the lowfi version. Had to click hq a few times to get the best quality version.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

OP
M

manman

Reaction score
sorry- that link was just to show which video it was, that wasn't a link I was directly looking at on the xoom. I was comparing the videos within the youtube /app/ for each tablet.

But that's interesting that you pointed that out, when I tried going to the link, I DO see the higher quality video on my xoom. But for some reason when I go to the youtube app, no matter how many times I toggle hq on and off, the HQ version is still a very low res poor quality version...

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Because the youtube app is built specifically for phones, with a slow 3G connection in mind. I notice a difference between the apps 'HQ' and the websites (browser set to desktop mode) normal quality

kaylward

Reaction score
You didn't install the youtube application from the market did you? That's not a honeycomb version and should be uninstalled. Assuming that is not the case, all i can add is that i had to press the hq button several times, and it never appeared to stick. I did however eventually see hq video through the youtube app

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

OP
M

manman

Reaction score
Yeah, I did install from the marketplace. beautiful- that was the kind of explanation I was hoping for...makes sense.

Thanks for the help. Really wish this bad boy had netflix on it, but my fault I didn't do my homework on that one.

bigkhan

Reaction score
I seen somewhere that netflix is working on the droid app. Ios has a head start on droid 3.0 . I'm sure we are going to a lot of cool stuff over the next few months.