Ipad 2 and Xoom owners PLEASE read

huskur

Reaction score
My wife is finishing her bachelors degree in nursing. I was thinking of getting her a tablet but am undecided on which to get. I have done my research on both and yes both have "different" qualities. (I am partial to the Xoom) There is one key ingredient that i need to know.

Can the Xoom or Ipad 2 create word documents and excel readable on PC's? Is quick office the only app needed to do this or does the app only read those type of documents? Also, for those of you that own the 2 devices can you give me a few pro's and con's on them? Liked features...ect...?

I watched a couple hours of video on youtube on both but i would rather have the word from my fellow members here.

Thanks in advance

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
Sure there has to be someone with some input

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Pmoser

Reaction score
I don't have either so I can't help you but be patient and people will help

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
I can't speak directly to the Xoom but there are a number of android based apps that allow reading, editing, and creating MS Office documents. I use an app called Docs To Go by Dataviz, I can do all the above for Word, Excel, and Power Point, and i can read PDFs. It has the ability to sync to the desktop and my favorite can access all of my documents directly on Google Docs.

Quick Office is also available and I'm sure there's at lease one other app but I can't remember what it is.

jkloeckner

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure about the xoom our the ipad, but you could look into the asus eee pad transient with the keyboard dock... It has an app preloaded on it called polaris office that I think might be able to create word/office docs... its worth a shot, and oh, its 500 for the 32gb model (wifi only)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

jkloeckner

Reaction score
Yup, just tried out Polaris Office on the asus eee pad transformer, and it does save word docs created using it with a .doc format. My vote would be for the transformer, even though it isn't one that you initially listed...

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
Yup, just tried out Polaris Office on the asus eee pad transformer, and it does save word docs created using it with a .doc format. My vote would be for the transformer, even though it isn't one that you initially listed...

Thanks a MILLION!!!! That is just killer!!! Love it! I am sure the wife will to.

jkloeckner

Reaction score
Glad I could help!! That'a what I'm here for!

DroidItLikeItsHot

Reaction score
I've got an ipad2 at home and have been a big fan of it for a while... but a friend of mine brought over his new Asus Transformer yesterday and that thing was SICK!! :)

And @jkloekner nailed it... Polaris Office works great to create .doc files.

alternatively You can email it directly from Pages as a .doc. When you email something, a box will come up asking what format you want it in. Or you can "Sent to iTunes." The same dialog will come up, asking what format you want the document in, then you can plug it into iTunes, and retrieve the file from the shared files.

If you wish to save it on the iPad as a word doc, you might want to consider a 3rd party app, instead of Pages. Docs2Go and QuickOffice will both allow you to open, edit, and save a Word document.

I will say though, as much as i love my ipad (and my wife loves her XOOM) and i ordered an Asus Transformer last night after getting to use one. ( i really like the keyboard docking idea...) I might end up selling my ipad... HAHA!

has anyone used the Mini hdmi output with the sling-player app on the Transformer? is it any different than the XOOM? Also has anyone tried using it with an Alternative display device such as a hotel TV or portable projector?

S

scrub175

I've owned both the xoom and ipad2. One big difference is the standby battery life. Ipad2 wins hands down. I tried both tablets with docs and excel files, at that time I preferred the fit and finish of the apple pages and numbers. The bad point is those apps are like $10 each compared to $15 for an all in one app. My goal was to tie my phone, tablet, home PC, and work email as one. I went with the Ipad2 for that integration. The accessories for the ipad2 were very business friendly. the ipad stand/keyboard looks great and functions very well. A couple of other factors... the handwriting apps were better for the ipad but still lacked recognition and conversion to typed text. the last was netflix native on the ipad2.

The transformer 2 may negate almost all the points I went with the Ipad2.

Jkizzy

Reaction score
My xoom is ranked number 2 on benchmarks world wide where is apple uhhhh nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scrub175

My xoom is ranked number 2 on benchmarks world wide where is apple uhhhh nowhere.

And when xoom came out how many apps were there compared to ipad2 release? Like I said I had the xoom when it first released. never mind I dont have to explain. He asked opinions and I said my piece.

But benchmarks are cool. I'm enjoying netflix and office productivity with my ipad2 out of the box... no hacking required.

Last edited by a moderator:

mack19318

Reaction score
The transformer is great using polaris! Easy to work with and pretty cool too. I use it to edit and create med charts and update existing charts for animals. And hasn't had a problem yet!
If your wife is going to use it for work (patients, meds, type stuff) I am sure she will be very happy with it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
The transformer is great using polaris! Easy to work with and pretty cool too. I use it to edit and create med charts and update existing charts for animals. And hasn't had a problem yet!
If your wife is going to use it for work (patients, meds, type stuff) I am sure she will be very happy with it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Just ordered the Asus Transformer today! Docking station was out of stock. :icon_eek: Watched some youtube vids on it and its truly awesome to say the least. Very versitile.