Your Droid Physical Keyboard

Merritt

Reaction score
My entire keypad has bubbled pretty badly, it makes "sticking" noises when i type, especially toward the middle of the keyboard.
My build date is 42/09, and i pretty much always use the keyboard, so it's gotten a lot of use. i think the keys were fairly flat when i got the phone (just a bit curved). some still are, Q and the right alt key are flat. enter and menu are starting to curve, and everything else is pretty much bubbled.

I don't mind the keys being bubbled, but the keyboard feels cheap to type on now, since it unsticks itself pretty quickly.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2070/p1080926.jpg
YouTube - P1080927.MOV
Ewww, that looks nasty. I hope mine don't end up bubbling like that, I've got the flat keyboard.

MistaMean

Reaction score
I like the "Bubble Style"

Here's my story:

I have a Droid, I dropped it onto a carpeted floor, screen wouldn't work only the back light, went to Verizon, they ordered me a new one (Certified Like New), in the mean time I tinker with the broken Droid and magically it works again, I get the new Droid but it isn't really new it's (Certified Like New). Now, I love how I have my Droid customized and didn't want to go through the process over again, so I'm looking for reasons to send the new Droid back, even though my old Droid was in a coma for 2 days. I compared the two Droids and I noticed that the key boards are different, my Droid has raised keys and the replacement has flat keys. I had my Droid now for less than 2 months (1st week in April) and I have read that after repeated use the keys begin to bubble, but my keys have been like this since I took it out of the box new. So I test the Droid with the flat keys and I hate it, I has no feel and feels flimsy and cheap like a toy. That was the deal breaker and so, I sent the Certified Like New replacement Droid back to Verizon and kept my old Droid. You know the saying "Once you go bubble, you don't go back."

Novak94

Reaction score
My keyboard is the raised/bubbled kind, and I am quite happy with it!
However, recently, when I press certain keys (spacebar, o, l, m, and a few others) it types 2 letters instead of just 1. Anyone else have this problem?
that problem started with mine like 4 days ago and it annoys the crap out of me. If there any kinda fix for it or do i need to take it in?

averma1

Reaction score
my keyboard (raised) recently decided the glue holding it down in the center wasnt strong enough and broke free, now when i look at it, all the rubber keys from w to m float above the buttons and i litterally have to press it back down before i can start using it.

any fix for this? id rather not send it in for fear of getting a flat one back

Glock

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude but you guys have to be kidding me...the "bubbled" keyboard is just broken in.

If you guys spent more time using your flat keyboards, yours would become bubbled. It's not a defect...in fact, I dare say it's meant to do that. The keyboard gets better with use...

Abadus

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude but you guys have to be kidding me...the "bubbled" keyboard is just broken in.

If you guys spent more time using your flat keyboards, yours would become bubbled. It's not a defect...in fact, I dare say it's meant to do that. The keyboard gets better with use...

Mine came bubbled. The flat keyboard sucks. I almost didn't get one because the first droid I tested had a flat keyboard. Second one had a bubbled and I liked that much better.

They are not bubbled up they are molded round and they are firm when you press them. They do not deform back flat when pressed.

Glock

Reaction score
Someone else pointed that out today. I've had 2 of the flat keyboards and both have ended up "bubbled" in time. (only a month or 2 might I add) Next time I work I'm going to check out the newest stock of Droids and see what they look like. I've sold a bunch and don't remember ever seeing one that wasn't flat...even pre-loaded with 2.1...

aldaudio

Reaction score
my Droid came with a bubbled keyboard, but its 6 months old now, and it seems as tho the cover of the keyboard has become detached from the keys. its as if it were glued, and the glue has worn off.

if i slightly press on it in the middle, i can feel that there's space between the cover and the key. if i press down hard on the g/h/j key region, it sticks to them for a few seconds, but then lifts back up.

i took it to the verizon store today, and they said that was normal, but i really dont think it is. it makes using it very annoying. you can hear it sticking, and it seems harder to press down the keys now.

kyoo

Reaction score
my letter q is flat. just about all other keys are bubbled except like the right shift key, right alt key, settings key.. i thought i remember the keyboard being flat, i never noticed til i was updating my sister's droid and her keys were flat.. they DO bubble over time o_O

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Update: I've had my Droid for seven months now, and the flat keyboard is just as flat as the day I bought it. No sign of bubbling whatsoever, despite moderate use.

cyclwestks

Reaction score
My daughter & I both got the Droid about 60 days ago; both flat keyboards. For whatever reason, I am still on my original Droid, she got her 2nd replacement (3rd droid). The original, & 1st replecement were flat, replacement we just got is raised.

Feels cheap to us compared to the flat, & seems like it would wear quicker. She's trying to decide to ask for a different replacement before we activate.

Whether the salesman knows or not, he said it is the keyboard for the Droid 2.