Your Droid Physical Keyboard

tonton

Reaction score
got my droid the day it came out, first one in town as a matter of fact and I have the raised keys. Got my wife ea droid about a month ago and she has the flat keys.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
My first Droid had a completley flat keypad. None of this "heat raises the keys nonsense"

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not the keys that raise up, but likely easy key is on a "center post", and as you continue to use it, the edges of each individual key will get mashed down, so the center appears/feels "raised", while the corners get pushed down.

but all the keys are raised equally you have to have pressed all the keys the same amount for your theory to be correct

That theory was already proved wrong... when I purchased my phone and had it programed in the store , I was goofing around with the display model while I waited.... (I was thinking I would have to get used to those keys) .... anyway , they gave me my droid and I walked out to smoke a cigarette before getting in the car and thought .."hey my keys are better".... walked back in the store and held the two droids up together and mine was all nice and bubbly... the display phone flat as a pancake... my phone brand new out of the box... the display all used and broken in ....

There's just two different keypads out there...

Question is... why did Motorola do that with some phones in the 45/09 build range???... or there-abouts ... and why don't they go back to producing it again after all the negative feedback on the other flatty design??

Glad I was a lucky one...

toddj

Reaction score
I too have a flat keyboard. I'm jealous of anyone with the raised one :(
I would like to try one out, maybe one of my friends has a raised one.

serveitup911

Reaction score
Mine is a 45/09 with a bubbled keyboard :)
My father's is a 45/09 with a flat keyboard :mad:

gree.TVXQnakk.

Reaction score
I had the raised keys and now have the flat keys.
To me flat types way faster and better and it seems to me that with the raised keys my fingers were hurting a lot (like something was sticking me) and typing seemed slower and the keys seemed stickier and I'm so happy to have flat ones now.

hookerdj

Reaction score
i jus finally got my email back from motorola today they said there is nothing they can refund me and they just started making a new design sucks for us flat guys i guess?

Audiophile

Reaction score
Ok well I hate the feeling of being SOL so I was wondering if there is really anything we, verizon, or Motorola can do about this issue. Is it possible that we can send in our phones to have the keyboard replaced? Because I would do that in a heartbeat... even if I'm without my Droid for a few days.

Travis798

Reaction score
I don't think it's a design change. My build date is 16/10 and I have a flat keyboard.

mariol90

Reaction score
My entire keypad has bubbled pretty badly, it makes "sticking" noises when i type, especially toward the middle of the keyboard.
My build date is 42/09, and i pretty much always use the keyboard, so it's gotten a lot of use. i think the keys were fairly flat when i got the phone (just a bit curved). some still are, Q and the right alt key are flat. enter and menu are starting to curve, and everything else is pretty much bubbled.

I don't mind the keys being bubbled, but the keyboard feels cheap to type on now, since it unsticks itself pretty quickly.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2070/p1080926.jpg
[video=youtube;ZJDgwfyLGqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDgwfyLGqo[/video]

Last edited:

lynne222

Reaction score
My keyboard is the raised/bubbled kind, and I am quite happy with it!
However, recently, when I press certain keys (spacebar, o, l, m, and a few others) it types 2 letters instead of just 1. Anyone else have this problem?

T0DD

Reaction score
My keyboard is the raised/bubbled kind, and I am quite happy with it!
However, recently, when I press certain keys (spacebar, o, l, m, and a few others) it types 2 letters instead of just 1. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a flat keyboard and get multiple letters that type out all the time. I considered taking it back for that exact reason, it drives me crazy. Worst case, my insurance should cover it.

I decided ... flat keyboard = collectors item. dancedroid ...

capnfuffy

Reaction score
I have a flat keyboard and dont use it exempt for recovery. My sister has a raised keyboard which just seems so much better. Doubt I would use it even if I had a raised one though.

EDIT: Also my mom has a flat one and she bought her phone the same time as my sister.