Wycontacts - cytown dialer for apex?

deathshead

Reaction score
Hi guys, 1 thing i miss from liberty is the dialer with built in blacklist and nicer contacts.. any way to get this ported over?

Apex still uses the blur dialer and its not as easy and dropping the dialer and contacts, etc from say liberty as its built into the framework.

natedogg11

Reaction score
I have been trying to solve this problem since Apex 1.3. No one ever seems to respond, even after donating to Fab. If it isn't possible, that's fine, I just wish someone would let me know. Anyway, I hope you have better luck than me.

jonathanmsims

Reaction score
Probably not going to happen. Most people like Apex because of the blur that is contained in it. That includes the blur dialer. I like the dialer and thats why I switched back to Apex from Liberty. The dialer was my number 1 issue in Liberty (not having speeddial is another)... to each is own, but I don't see Fab adding an AOSP dialer to a partially Blur ROM.

twalbaum

Reaction score
I like the dialer in Apex but not the way contacts are arranged. All I really want is the tabs at the top of the contacts window that allow you to switch easily between favorites, all contacts, call log, and dialer. To be honest, I just really like being able to switch between Favorites and All contacts. I couldn't care less about seeing my call log.

MrAreCool

Reaction score
I like the dialer in Apex but not the way contacts are arranged. All I really want is the tabs at the top of the contacts window that allow you to switch easily between favorites, all contacts, call log, and dialer. To be honest, I just really like being able to switch between Favorites and All contacts. I couldn't care less about seeing my call log.

That is exactly what I see when launch the Dialer app... Have you tried that or am I missing something? I use Go Launcher Ex and I have made one of the dock shortcuts point to Dialer, I don't even go to the Contacts App much anymore...

B-t-w, thank you for saying that you couldn't care less about the call log, it seems like most of the time I see folks say that they could care less... Just a pet peeve of mine I guess!!

twalbaum

Reaction score
That is exactly what I see when launch the Dialer app... Have you tried that or am I missing something? I use Go Launcher Ex and I have made one of the dock shortcuts point to Dialer, I don't even go to the Contacts App much anymore...

B-t-w, thank you for saying that you couldn't care less about the call log, it seems like most of the time I see folks say that they could care less... Just a pet peeve of mine I guess!!

I thought I already replied to this but I guess I didn't.

I have since gone back to liberty for a number of reasons. One of the biggest ones was the way contacts are handled. I literally don't like anything that has to do with contacts in Apex. When I look at joined contacts I have loads of duplicates that don't appear anywhere else otherwise. I have unjoined the contacts and deleted the duplicates, and was unable to find them after deletion, but once I rejoin them, they duplicate again. I spent a while trying to figure out why I had three entries for one contact under the Joined thing, and also tried figuring out where they were to no avail. I just gave up. Same deal with Facebook.

At any rate, if I launched the contacts app, I'd have to click a bar and select stuff to view different contacts, as opposed to just opening it right up and seeing what I want right off the bat. Seems trivial but I see it several times a day, every day, and it wears on me having to do the extra motions.

I think I know what you're talking about regarding the dialer, actually. But that still involves an extra button or two. I want to hit a button on my launch bar and see my favorites. Hit another button and see Google contacts. Hit one other button and see Facebook.

Yea, I sound picky. There were a few other things that brought me back to Liberty, but contacts has always been a huge problem for me in Blur.

And you have no idea how much I understand the misuse of could care less. I mean, that makes no logical sense. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE! Jeez.... I greatly appreciate you noticing that.

Sent from Outer Space using Magic!

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Yeah, I see where you are coming from with those additional details. With blur I have only found the option to add a Search Contacts widget to the launcher bar, but I do not see the other options that you mention.

I actually came back to Apex from Liberty because of the dialer... While I agree with you that the contacts were handled excellently, I have not been able to get past the dialer not being able to search through the contacts as I enter the number... I tried Dialer 1 for awhile, but it didn't really do it for me either. I guess that I could just change my mindset and only use the dialer for dialing numbers and go through the contacts to call my contacts... Just haven't made that leap yet!!

And you have no idea how much I understand the misuse of could care less. I mean, that makes no logical sense. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE! Jeez....!
Amen to that :)

MrAreCool

Reaction score
I want to hit a button on my launch bar and see my favorites. Hit another button and see Google contacts. Hit one other button and see Facebook.

I just restored a Liberty backup and could not figure out how to do what you mentioned in the above quote. Can you help me out some on your setup? I am willing to re-think my position on the dialer if I can do something like this. I might need to do a fresh Liberty install again, as I might have "tweaked" some things...

twalbaum

Reaction score
Well all I did was add a Contacts shortcut to my launcher. The contacts/dialer app should have tabs at the top that allow to to switch between dialer, call log, contacts, and favorites.

When I open contacts, it takes me straight to favorites, which is mostly what I use anyways. But if I wanted to see my other contacts, I just hit the contacts tab and that shows me all my other contacts (Google/Facebook).

The only Facebook contacts I synced with my phone were existing contacts, so my Facebook and gmail contacts are one in the same.

If you want a filter to show Facebook, and then another for gmail, and another for phone contacts, and another for favorites, blur is the way to go. It may take a couple extra motions to get there, but you have the option.

Wycontacts is perfectly suited for me, except for what you mentioned in the dialer. It sure would be nice to see the number as I dial it. But I only use that feature when someone asks me who a mystery number belongs to so I can enter it into my dialer and find out. That doesn't happen often. I stopped memorizing phone numbers, so I never need to dial and then hit the contact that pops up.

Sent from Outer Space using Magic!

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Thanks! I am giving that a go, but I have a feeling that I will be switching back to Apex or another blurry ROM. I guess it is all what you get comfortable with isn't it???