Wireless Tether Speed Drops to 0 Very Often, No Apparent Reason

Twitch043

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I use a Motorola Droid 1 running Peter Alfonso's latest GPA rom (actually it says GPA16, which is weird because I believe I downloaded GPA17 but... nevertheless), running Gingerbread. I have to use Wireless Tether for my internet because I live in the middle of nowhere. It was running fairly well for a few months, occasional speed dropd but not too bad.

But as of late it's been horrible. I've hardly been able to use the internet on my computer in the past 6 hours, there is just no speed. It may come back for 5 minutes, but then it's gone again. It's driving me insane. I have no problems using the internet on my phone.

I was wondering if anyone had any potential answers. If any more information is needed I would be glad to give it. Thank you for reading.

Also I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. Please point me where to go if so.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hello everyone. I use a Motorola Droid 1 running Peter Alfonso's latest GPA rom (actually it says GPA16, which is weird because I believe I downloaded GPA17 but... nevertheless), running Gingerbread. I have to use Wireless Tether for my internet because I live in the middle of nowhere. It was running fairly well for a few months, occasional speed dropd but not too bad.

But as of late it's been horrible. I've hardly been able to use the internet on my computer in the past 6 hours, there is just no speed. It may come back for 5 minutes, but then it's gone again. It's driving me insane. I have no problems using the internet on my phone.

I was wondering if anyone had any potential answers. If any more information is needed I would be glad to give it. Thank you for reading.

Also I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. Please point me where to go if so.

Try my deprimed kernel and see if you have the same issue.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Would it work even though I'm not using Bugless Beast?

EDIT: sorry, looked at the wrong topic, not deprimed. XD

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Would it work even though I'm not using Bugless Beast?

EDIT: sorry, looked at the wrong topic, not deprimed. XD

Well the kernel should behave on most any gingerbread revision, it was specifically designed for cyanogen mod but works on other roms.

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Well the kernel should behave on most any gingerbread revision, it was specifically designed for cyanogen mod but works on other roms.

So far it's working, I just rebooted my phone, booted up Wireless Tether and here I am on my computer. Thank you very much! I'll let you know if I start having problems again

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Aaand my upload speed dropped to 0 after a couple minutes, rendering anything impossible :(

Reaction score
Im with you. I have the same issues and haven't been able to figure it out. Hopefully somebody can figure this out. Its obnoxious trying to fill out job apps on my phone .

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Could you provide a log when this happens? There are many applications to help obtain the system log in the market.

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Mithu - Sometimes. I know that causes lag spikes, but this is CONSTANT disappearing speed, for stretches of time, not necessarily when texts are going to and fro

prime - I changed ROMs to Cyanogenmod 7 (partially to see if it would help, partially because GPA felt too much like stock) but I'm still having the issue, so I'll try to post a log perhaps by tomorrow night.

Last edited:
OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
I can't successfully gget a system log. I've tried 3 different applications but none of them seem to do anything. Logcat I thought would work, but the log was just blank when I tried to view it. So I'm really clueless on what to do. Since this is my sole internet this is really becoming a problem, and is very disheartening. I notice that it is only upload speed that ever drops, but it drops and will stay at about 1 kbs, enough that it can't communicate with DNS servers so even normal internet browsing is impossible.

Still works fine on the phone, though. I updated the wifi feather app as well, it worked for about 3 minutes and then dropped again.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I can't successfully gget a system log. I've tried 3 different applications but none of them seem to do anything. Logcat I thought would work, but the log was just blank when I tried to view it. So I'm really clueless on what to do. Since this is my sole internet this is really becoming a problem, and is very disheartening. I notice that it is only upload speed that ever drops, but it drops and will stay at about 1 kbs, enough that it can't communicate with DNS servers so even normal internet browsing is impossible.

Still works fine on the phone, though. I updated the wifi feather app as well, it worked for about 3 minutes and then dropped again.

Perhaps your being throttled by Verizon for tethering without paying, I can't see any other explanation without viewing the system log to verify no other issue exists.

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
Perhaps your being throttled by Verizon for tethering without paying, I can't see any other explanation without viewing the system log to verify no other issue exists.

You don't find it strange that everything is fine going through my phone? Verizon would, I'd think, throttle the speed going to my phone, which would impact everything.

Butbif that's so, I don't really know what I can do. There is no cable line or anything here, and sattelite is WAY tell expensive for something I hear nothing good about. But I guess that's a different issue altogether.

EDIT: Also, that wouldn't explain how it works fine in Ubuntu operating systems. No problems or unusual drops in speed. Only in Windows.

Last edited:

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You don't find it strange that everything is fine going through my phone? Verizon would, I'd think, throttle the speed going to my phone, which would impact everything.

Butbif that's so, I don't really know what I can do. There is no cable line or anything here, and sattelite is WAY tell expensive for something I hear nothing good about. But I guess that's a different issue altogether.

EDIT: Also, that wouldn't explain how it works fine in Ubuntu operating systems. No problems or unusual drops in speed. Only in Windows.

I find it strange, have you tried Bluetooth tethering? I do it from time to time as it is much lighter on the battery.

OP
Twitch043

Twitch043

Reaction score
I find it strange, have you tried Bluetooth tethering? I do it from time to time as it is much lighter on the battery.

I have not, I don't have any bluetooth connecting hardware for my desktop.