Wireless Tether troubleshooting

jjhiza

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm running Lithium Mod NGv.0.0.5 ROM and I'm trying to use Wireless Tether for Root Users to connect to my HP G60-230US Notebook. The laptop recognizes the wireless connection, but I still can't get the internet to run. If anyone has suggestions as to how I can fix this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome. The ROM was downloaded via ROM Manager, and I used Z4root to root my Droid. Love the ROM, but I'm just not sure if it's going to play nice with Wireless Tether....

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It will play fine, provided your kernel has netfilter. If it's a FroYo ROM it has netfilter.

Did you get your tethering app from the location linked to in my signature or are you running the out-dated version from the market? :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use wifi tether regularly with my Mac Book Pro and have no issues.

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
That's what I thought, and that's part of the reason I went with Lithium Mod (because it's AOSP). The kernel is 2.6.32.9JDLFG... ubuntu #3. I'm not super tech savy (thus the use of ROM Manager etc), but I thought the "ubuntu" kernels all had Netfilter capability. Am I wrong?

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how you guys set up your wireless tethering would be great. I've been screwing around with this for about a week now. :(

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did you get the app from the market? If so it's terribly out of date and not as compatible. Try the one from my signature, also linked to here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code to see if it helps.

Are you sure your laptop can handle Ad-Hoc networking? It should, but there's always that possibility. Have you tried USB tethering?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is what I used to set up wireless tether (it is old but still works)

If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip this section

All new kernels/ROMs should have WiFi tether, but if they don't you will need to download the apk file from here and install it using steps 56 or 57.
56. You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market....

57. ...or Root Explorer (paid app, much much much better and something we will be using later on the guide).

58. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

59. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to give these options a try really quick.

OP
jjhiza

jjhiza

Reaction score
Ok, so I installed the 2 0 2.apk, and I'm still getting the same error message "Windows cannot connect to AndroidTether". I've enabled Access Control, WiFi Encryption, and everything else is stock. Am I doing something wrong? My computer does have Ad-Hoc capability... I'm not sure what's wrong...