Wireless tether help

ronnie2bennett

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!! I was wondering if someone would help me with a problem. I have rooted my droid and my wifes droid, we are both running the deodexed frg01b from pete. My wireless tether works flawless but my wifes will not work at all. It will work for about 30 second then disconnects every time. I have tried this on 3 laptops and it is the same on all 3. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work. About the only difference in our phones are that I am overclocked using setcpu and she isn't but I can't imagine that would have any thing to do with it. Thanks in advance for any help. Neither of us have any themes different either.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try a kernel on hers. setcpu is free on the devs website (over at xda) and so are kernels lol. ive seen it where a rooted 2.1 droid wouldnt work because it didnt have a net enabled kernel and adding one of chevys or P3s worked. worth a try..

OP
R

ronnie2bennett

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...I have thought of that. I flashed Chevy's 1.0 Ghz ulv kernel and still a no-go.

OP
R

ronnie2bennett

Reaction score
I have tried both with the same results!! Pda net works but you can't charge your phone while using it and the battery goes fairly quick when tethering and not charging at the same time

Nick177th

Reaction score
I have tried both with the same results!! Pda net works but you can't charge your phone while using it and the battery goes fairly quick when tethering and not charging at the same time

Are you sure you have barnacle configured correctly? As I said earlier, the directions online are somewhat incomplete.

1.Rename SSID(optional)
2.enable WEP in wireless encryption. I use 13 characters in my password. Choose ASCII.
3. Check skip wpa supplicant.
4.clear all characters in WAN and LAN.

You should be good to go with these settings. Good luck.

OP
R

ronnie2bennett

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Nick but still nothing....I just don't get it. I have been trying to get this to work for so long that I am about to give up. My wife is telling me to quit, she doesn't care any more but now it is just becoming a personal challenge!! Lol

Nick177th

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Nick but still nothing....I just don't get it. I have been trying to get this to work for so long that I am about to give up. My wife is telling me to quit, she doesn't care any more but now it is just becoming a personal challenge!! Lol

Hmmmmm. Did you try to connect to it as soon as Barnacle said that it was running? I read somewhere that it will only search for a wifi capable device for a certain amount of time to conserve your battery life. I THINK it only searches for a matter of seconds. after that, you have to hit associate to make it "available" for connection.

OP
R

ronnie2bennett

Reaction score
I have no problem connecting. It connects every time but after about 20 - 30 seconds it just disconnects. Sometimes it will stay connected a little longer, it will show I am connected but there is no internet access. My droid works flawless with both wireless tether and barnacle....hers does the same on both, nothing

Nick177th

Reaction score
On Barnacle, after it sees a connection (or whatever the terminology is), you have to hit "associate". That locks the connection. R2B, don't take anything I say as condescending. I'm not there so I don't know what steps you're taking. I'm not saying that you are, I just want to make sure you don't think I'm talking down to you like you don't know what you're doing. It took me a couple of days to figure the wireless connection thing out.

The reason I said try to work with Barnacle is because you don't have to have a specific type of kernel to be able to use it. I'll keep my thinking cap on and maybe I can think of something else. I've flashed about 4 custom roms in the last week and it works on all of them. If you're like me, you won't stop until you figure it out. I don't even use wireless tethering but, I wanted to make it work just because. LOL! TTYL R2B.