Wireless Tether for Root Users

jrosser

Reaction score
first let me tell you about my phone.. Rooted with Android 2.2 and SkyRider 2.5 software. Baseband updated to 2.x and running Hydra Kernal.

I downloaded and installed Wireless Tether for Root Users from www.theunlockr.com

here is the direct link:
Android Applications | TheUnlockr

the app installes and seems to run properly ( i am not getting any errors ). It requires Super User permissions. I was able to configure a SSID and WEP permisions, but when turn it on, i am not able to find the network from another wireless device, i have tried manually adding the network but still can't find it.

the app has an option to change the channel (frequency), i tried each one but still same results...

anyone elase have any luck witht his app or can recomend another wireless tether app?

OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score
OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score

beaubeau

Reaction score
Oh, then that's different. I have never seen 2.2 but I think you don't even need to "Wireless Tethering" app. I think it's just something you turn on under the setting menu. See if this helps: [video=youtube;J0Vp92et6z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Vp92et6z0&p=F573C42037CBEBAB&playnext=1&index=23]YouTube - Tethering with Android 2.2 Froyo - AndroidCentral.com[/video]

OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score
i will give that a watch / try now..

just watned to update.... i was using the tether app from theunlockr.com.. i uninstalled that and just instelled the wireless tether app from the app store.. same results..

i will post up after i watch the vid

cool.. thanks.. that video worked.. i didn't even know that..

Last edited:
OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score
hello,

can i ask what your trying to connect to the tether?

right now.. nothing.. just wanted to get it working so when i need / want to use that feature it would be ready to go.

eventually i would prob use it on my laptop.. i saw some posts about some software that would would install on both the laptop and phone.. but i would rather not have to use software.. this way i can use it on any laptop

gmmurphy

Reaction score
hello,

right now.. nothing.. just wanted to get it working so when i need / want to use that feature it would be ready to go.

eventually i would prob use it on my laptop.. i saw some posts about some software that would would install on both the laptop and phone.. but i would rather not have to use software.. this way i can use it on any laptop
wireless tether is the way to go. have you been to the wireless tether page? google search and grab the latest apk. then maybe try a different kernel a custom-kernel has to supports netfilter (iptables)! can i assume you know how to connect to a wireless network? sorry if you do just looking for a starting point.:)

OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score
hello,

wireless tether is the way to go. have you been to the wireless tether page? google search and grab the latest apk. then maybe try a different kernel a custom-kernel has to supports netfilter (iptables)! can i assume you know how to connect to a wireless network? sorry if you do just looking for a starting point.:)

dont' need an apk.. i didn't realize the version i am running has it built in.. the video posted 2 posts above show's how.. i am runing Android 2.2 with Skyraider 2.5 Vanilla.. tested and works with no software.

gmmurphy

Reaction score

dont' need an apk.. i didn't realize the version i am running has it built in.. the video posted 2 posts above show's how.. i am runing Android 2.2 with Skyraider 2.5 Vanilla.. tested and works with no software.

well i was going to have you grab the latest version. also on his kernels there was a fix for wifi tether on the change log v0.6 so check how old your kernal is.

oh are you up now?

deadernie

Reaction score
I'm running 2.2 I got on the OTA update on the original droid , rooted so I could install Barnacle. Barnacle says its running fine but my laptop G4 running 10.4 dosen't pick up the hotspot and neither does my PSP. Been through the developers troubleshooting but still no go. I just really want to be able to access the internet with my laptop.

gmmurphy

Reaction score
I'm running 2.2 I got on the OTA update on the original droid , rooted so I could install Barnacle. Barnacle says its running fine but my laptop G4 running 10.4 dosen't pick up the hotspot and neither does my PSP. Been through the developers troubleshooting but still no go. I just really want to be able to access the internet with my laptop.
if your rooted go to the market and get wifi tether for root users, be sure your kernel supports and you will be good.

OP
J

jrosser

Reaction score
if your rooted go to the market and get wifi tether for root users, be sure your kernel supports and you will be good.

i am rooted (unrevoked3) and Kernal is a Hydra 1.15 kernal..

i did download and install the app from the app store but when i turned it on nothing could find the SSID