Wired Tether for Root Users Problem

ftdriver

Reaction score
I searched the forums up and down but could not find a solution to this problem. Almost all the results were for Wireless tether.

When I click to tether the computer connects to the phone and internet beautifully. I get faster downloads from the phone than my local dsl. Unfortunately it only lasts for about 8-10 minutes. Then the network icon says that I have a local connection only. The transfer rates on the Wired Tether app slow to a crawl.

I have tried three different roms and keep getting the same issue. I called *228 and reprogramed the phone with options 1 & 2. I downloaded the newest version of WTFRU. All to no avail. Help!!

My System:
Motorola Droid 1
Bugless Beast V0.4
Kernel 2.6.32.6-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1

Windows Vista 64-bit

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I don't know the exact details for bugless beast but I do know on the original Motorola Droid that Verizon wants us to pay for tethering. Others have an issue where they don't get ANY time, instead they are immediately forwarded to a Verizon Wireless web page where they are given rates available for wired tethering.

Frankly, I'm surprised you're getting anything to work at all.

All of my argument is thrown out the window though if you use an app like PDANet.

OP
F

ftdriver

Reaction score
Yeah, PdaNet does the exact same thing for me as Wired Tether.

PhontomF

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me with wired tether running sapphire 1.1. To fix I have to disable tether app, unplug usb, plug back in, then re-enable tether and it works for about 10 mins then dies again. Very annoying to say the least. :mad:

soatari

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me with wired tether running sapphire 1.1. To fix I have to disable tether app, unplug usb, plug back in, then re-enable tether and it works for about 10 mins then dies again. Very annoying to say the least. :mad:

Exact same problem here. The only workaround for me is to use PDANet which is a little slower all around and plagued by shoddy programming and the need for a computer side application.

Sal R.

Reaction score

Had the same problem when I ran BBv0.4 and Sapp, both Wired and Wireless tether.

Try LFY (I was using 1.4). Both tether options worked flawlessly and consistently.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used the tether app for quite some time. Perhaps I just lucky but once connected/tethered I've not experienced change in speed. Currently, I'm running Sapphire 8.4 and OC to 1 gh. About two weeks ago our DSL (Verizon) was having issues. I tethered my phone and Mac Book Pro for over two hours and had not issues or slowness.

Mike

harrellj

Reaction score
I have used the tether app for quite some time. Perhaps I just lucky but once connected/tethered I've not experienced change in speed. Currently, I'm running Sapphire 8.4 and OC to 1 gh. About two weeks ago our DSL (Verizon) was having issues. I tethered my phone and Mac Book Pro for over two hours and had not issues or slowness.

Mike

What tether app are you using? I've tried enabling tethering in wireless/network settings (for USB) and get extremely slow and rather crappy connection (seriously, I think DUN is faster or equal). Any other apps would be awesome to try.

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive been using the tethering option in Sapphire v1.x for about 3 weeks and never had a problem with it. For about two weeks last month it was my only form of internet connectivity until I got enough money to sign up for an actual account lol I actually just used it earlier in class for about an hour and it works fine for me. Wireless tethering with Barnacle doesnt work though.