Windows crashing

D

Danthon

I all,
I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom.
A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes.
The same thing happen even if the hard disk is disconnected: every time I start windows it go to freeze a little after the password, and every time I connect and disconnect a usb device.
I have looked for the solution everywhere, updated windows, unistalled and installed the hard disk from the device manager but I solved the problem only when I restored a recent backup.
Yesterday the Hard disk was writing a backup while Vista was installing the updates; at the end of the proceure windows restarted automatically and the problem began again!!!
The Pc go to freeze when it starts, every time I connect or disconnect the hard disk, an usb earphone that has always worked switch on but there is no audio and I don't know how many others usb devices will have problems.
Has anyone an idea to solve this problem before I throw out of the window Vista or the the hard disk?
Thank you

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a solution... but Windows Vista is nothing but a headache. Get 7 or revert to XP. You'll thank yourself.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have a solution... but Windows Vista is nothing but a headache. Get 7 or revert to XP. You'll thank yourself.
meh. vista and 7 are basically identical underneath the hood.

OP, have you tried a different USB port? have you checked your event log? have you captured the error message (usually from blue screen) to track down the issue. most of the time, a shared DLL will cause a failure/crash.

if you're having a hard time identifying the error message:

Right-click Computer, select Properties.
Click the Advanced System Settings link on the left.
Click the Startup and Recovery button.
Uncheck Automatically Restart.

Where it says Dump File, that's where your error message is stored. Put that into the Start - Run and try to open it (or browse to the location).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have 7 myself, I'm still on XP. Thanks for clarifying 640k.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have 7 myself, I'm still on XP. Thanks for clarifying 640k.
interfacing was number one priority with 7 vs. vista. vista was built for better security, but MS went a little overboard. 7 is more of a user's experience and the first Windows MS has done "right" in a long while (i remember how excited we all were for 95 vs. 3.11). i prefer 7 over vista, but they're basically identical.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vista's security was overboard. So many things had compatibility issues. I abandoned it early. I'm still up in the air about going to 7. XP is old but so solid for me.

Silver Member
Reaction score
xp is a joke. once you've gotten used to vista/7, you'll never look back. i relate managing XP like when jumping from NT to 2000. we still use XP at work and I have to schedule weekly reboots and nightly shutdowns of applications in order for my machine to perform in top shape the next day.

i rarely, if ever, reboot my 7 machine at home.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hated Vista with a passion. I'll have to give 7 a run though. It's time to move up :)