Windows 7 upgrade???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Garemlin, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +364
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    I just got a Windows 7 upgrade disc from a laptop purchase over the summer. Let me say that I haven't used Vista very much but I really don't like it. In fact I am still using XP Pro on my two home PC's. How much difference is there from 7 to Vista to XP. I'm not gonna bother doing the upgrade if it isn't going to be much different from Vista.

2. droid d'oh

droid d'oh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do it, it's more stable and over 9000 times more awesome. Personally I love it.

3. droiddollll

droiddollll New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have it...love it. Try to do a clean install if possible.

4. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    if you have vista, you can just upgrade without losing any files. but if you have xp, you have to do a clean install. either way, I HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade... 7 is eight shades of awesome. so ready to use and tons of features. and if your laptop didn't shop with an OS disc, you can first make a backup and go back if you don't like 7.. I think you will though, it is fantastic, wantonly when compared to vista.

5. Slighter

Slighter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed - Do it. This is the Windows we have all waited for.

6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +34
    [​IMG]

7. yungo845

yungo845 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do a clean install backup any files u need also delete the partition its xp is on or else itll take up space putting files in a windows.old folder which could take up gigs.. then download microsoft security essentials and enjoy the best OS microsoft has released

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Agree with everyone else. Windows 7 is an outstanding program. Definitely blows Vista out of the water. Driver support has been clean and all encompassing. Stability has been outstanding. They've finally done it right with this one.

9. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And people who use Linux on a regular bases will see this and laugh a lot , then go 'Wow have been enjoying stability for years' .
    "Finally got it right" , you have just doomed Winders7 , Microcrap never gets it right , just closer . :icon_ banana:
    Android , the next OS to rock the World .

10. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Not all of us have the time to learn and work with Linux. Nor do we all have the pleasure of it working with all of our applications.

11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I HAVE been using Linux for years and couldn't disagree more... your attitude is about as bad (fanboyish) as most Apple/MAC users... Not every needs to learn Linux and even as good as apget and other systems have gotten it's still a PIA to get a COMPLETE system that will meet the needs of the average user w/o serious time investments (i.e. MP3 player support, movie editing, advanced networking, printer networks ect.).

To the OP, YES Win7 is VERY worth the time to install. Actually it's one of the EASIEST OS's you'll ever install. M$ has made the installer nearly perfect (on the 3 systems I've put it on I have not had to do ANYTHING after the install, i.e. no driver updating, no altering configurations, nothing (and to 1linuxfreak this can NOT be said for even the latest Umbuntu release)).

Just, if at all possible do a CLEAN install. Wipe the drive clean. You'll be up and running in no time.

12. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +364
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    Thanks everyone. Guess I'm gonna give it a go. Nothing really worth backing up as I have everything I need saved to my Seagate portable. I really don't use the laptop all that much. It was an on sale impulse buy.

So I take it I can just go into disc management in Vista and delete the existing partitions then format the drives before the install. That is how I do it when I refresh my home PC's running XP.