The Future of Windows XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by jimmyco2008, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

So something like 90% of businesses worldwide still use Windows XP, but its end of life is 2013. End of life, so Microsoft will stop "supporting" XP, well at that point do you think we'll see a mass migration to Windows (by 2013) 8 or 9 or whatever? I mean XP will get viruses before and after the EOL, it's not like supporting XP is doing anything for us....

And I have W7 but I'm thinking about going back to XP, anyone else on the fence with that? If only 7 looked ugly lol

As for you all that have no idea what I'm talking about, I would like to know if you're still on XP or if you've upgraded to Vista or 7?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

XP is dead IMHO....Everything we have has moved on to Win7 x64....
  3. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

it's Windows 7 or nothing IMO....7 is great. XP is dead
  4. qkpony

qkpony New Member

Ubuntu 10.10 people should really look into it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. eriscrazy

eriscrazy New Member

Can't you get umbuntu for free?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  6. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

I recently got a new PC at home that is running Windows 7 while at work we use XP. It was a pretty big learning curve IMO, but the more I played with 7 the more I liked it! Now I keep busting the IT guys b**ls trying to get him to upgrade (at least mine anyway :D)

Sent from my DROID
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Why, Win7 seems to do everything we need.
  8. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

Yeah, I ran Ubuntu for a bit and really enjoyed it. But, between knowing nothing about Linux and the fact that I use paint.net for theming I went back to windows. If I wasn't obsessed with theming I would def give it another shot :)
  9. lizard

lizard New Member

I've had XP since it came out and I'll keep using it till 2013, at least.
  10. qkpony

qkpony New Member

Yes it is free. Have you looked for an alternative for your theme software I use Photoshop a lot and gimp is a super free alternative. Just my 2ยข fyi I loaded Ubuntu 10.10 on my 53 year old mothers laptop and she loves it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I've had this car since 2000 and it's only got 200,000 miles on it and I'm keeping it until 2013.

Yeah you can but look at all the new stuff you're missing. A car in 2000 is a lot different then a 2011 car. Same with Windows. From what I hear Windows 7 is pretty good.

And I actually liked Windows XP myself, sure you had all the security issues and constant updates but it worked OK.

Now when I use my wife's four year old computer with XP it's like, Gawd, why is this darn thing so slow! My iMac makes that thing look like an antique.
  12. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

I dual boot between Windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10, I really like ubuntu but everyone is so comfortable with windows its hard to get them to try it.

It really does do everything you could want and everything is absolutely free. I don't feel you have to be technically advanced to run it, its pretty easy.

As far as the topic at hand yes, XP is dead. I did my IT training a few years ago and we where already talking about the fact that we will all have to re-certify in a few years. It kinda pissed us off knowing all the school work was on an near EOL windows XP.
  13. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

XP works fine for the corporate world. We have 50K computers on XP. Upgrading to W7 isn't an easy task and having software that conflicts between XP and W7 is a pain.
  14. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I can respond this way. My first computer was a Commodore 64. I have used every MS Operating System except for WinME. The best OS was WinXP hands down. I had a Vista 64 bit OS for 2 years and absolutely hated it. I now have Win7 64 bit, and can tell you it's better than WinXP. The only thing I don't like about it is how it tries to re-size my windows when I have them shrunk down and moving around the desktop. There's probably a setting that I haven't bothered looking for yet because I'm too lazy. But, the fact WinXP won't be supported in 2013 is not a big deal to me.
  15. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

I would have to agree with Mustang. We are a world wide organization with 50K plus as well and I would say 80% are still on XP while the others have made their way to 7. However I disgree at the same time. Most stable MS OS I have used is 2k and the best thus far is 7 IMO. I had a C64 and still do....and it works. I have used EVERY single OS MS has come out with ....mostly because I was running a computer service company and that is what we did ALL DAY LONG.
  16. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr New Member

XP on one computer, Ubuntu on another.

Same here. I'm riding it out until the end.

I actually have that car, but older and with many more miles. I put gas in it, keep up with the routine maintanence, and it keeps taking me where I need to go without any complaints. Why pay to upgrade to a new car when I currently have no problem with the one I have? It's cheaper to change a years worth of spark plugs, belts, and oil than it is to buy a whole new car.

If I was told that my car would die in 2013, then yes, I would be forced to upgrade to a newer model due to lack of support, but other than that, why bother? It does what I need it to do.
  17. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

Ubuntu is fat and bloated with too much nonsense.... its decent for a beginner linux user for getting on the internet but much more then that its useless. okay not exactly useless but defiantly less efficient then it should be.

debain base install is where its at...... that or slackware.
  18. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I'm still on XP, it's not dead yet. Still gets the job done.

I like Win 7 but just haven't really had a NEED to upgrade. I will eventually. Maybe this spring.
  19. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

I too have tried every win os except Me, which I hear sucks anyway. Im actually installing XP back as I'm typing this, I have way to many issues w/ 7. I've had to reinstall it at least three times, the fonts get corrupt, it gets slow, I get BSODs and my games like Fallout New Vegas crash randomly. Okay, so for the slow thing, Ive been too lazy to diskdefrag or clear junk like the temp folder..... But everything else is just nothing I had a problem with on XP. Oh and iTunes is pretty effed up. So im throwing XP on to see if the problem is 7.

As for a pro for staying on XP, I'm going to have a crapload of RAM and my already fast cpu (3.6Ghz) is gonna seem even faster. Only con, it looks old, but that can be fixed I guess...

I tried Ububtu, never again. But to each their own.
  20. qkpony

qkpony New Member

I was a big red hat user but I do really like ubuntu. maybe I am just getting lazy in my old age

Search tags for this page

future of windows xp

future of windows xp 2013
future windows phones for 2013
futures of window xp

the future of windows xp

the future of windows xp ?
what is the future for windows xp
what is the future of windows xp
whats the future of windows xp

windows xp future

windows xp future, 2013