The Future of Windows XP

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So something like 90% of businesses worldwide still use Windows XP, but its end of life is 2013. End of life, so Microsoft will stop "supporting" XP, well at that point do you think we'll see a mass migration to Windows (by 2013) 8 or 9 or whatever? I mean XP will get viruses before and after the EOL, it's not like supporting XP is doing anything for us....

And I have W7 but I'm thinking about going back to XP, anyone else on the fence with that? If only 7 looked ugly lol

As for you all that have no idea what I'm talking about, I would like to know if you're still on XP or if you've upgraded to Vista or 7?

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
XP is dead IMHO....Everything we have has moved on to Win7 x64....

qkpony

Reaction score
Ubuntu 10.10 people should really look into it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I recently got a new PC at home that is running Windows 7 while at work we use XP. It was a pretty big learning curve IMO, but the more I played with 7 the more I liked it! Now I keep busting the IT guys b**ls trying to get him to upgrade (at least mine anyway :D)

Sent from my DROID

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Why, Win7 seems to do everything we need.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

Yeah, I ran Ubuntu for a bit and really enjoyed it. But, between knowing nothing about Linux and the fact that I use paint.net for theming I went back to windows. If I wasn't obsessed with theming I would def give it another shot :)

lizard

Reaction score
I've had XP since it came out and I'll keep using it till 2013, at least.

qkpony

Reaction score
Yes it is free. Have you looked for an alternative for your theme software I use Photoshop a lot and gimp is a super free alternative. Just my 2¢ fyi I loaded Ubuntu 10.10 on my 53 year old mothers laptop and she loves it.

Can't you get umbuntu for free?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had XP since it came out and I'll keep using it till 2013, at least.

I've had this car since 2000 and it's only got 200,000 miles on it and I'm keeping it until 2013.

Yeah you can but look at all the new stuff you're missing. A car in 2000 is a lot different then a 2011 car. Same with Windows. From what I hear Windows 7 is pretty good.

And I actually liked Windows XP myself, sure you had all the security issues and constant updates but it worked OK.

Now when I use my wife's four year old computer with XP it's like, Gawd, why is this darn thing so slow! My iMac makes that thing look like an antique.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dual boot between Windows 7 and ubuntu 10.10, I really like ubuntu but everyone is so comfortable with windows its hard to get them to try it.

It really does do everything you could want and everything is absolutely free. I don't feel you have to be technically advanced to run it, its pretty easy.

As far as the topic at hand yes, XP is dead. I did my IT training a few years ago and we where already talking about the fact that we will all have to re-certify in a few years. It kinda pissed us off knowing all the school work was on an near EOL windows XP.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
XP works fine for the corporate world. We have 50K computers on XP. Upgrading to W7 isn't an easy task and having software that conflicts between XP and W7 is a pain.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can respond this way. My first computer was a Commodore 64. I have used every MS Operating System except for WinME. The best OS was WinXP hands down. I had a Vista 64 bit OS for 2 years and absolutely hated it. I now have Win7 64 bit, and can tell you it's better than WinXP. The only thing I don't like about it is how it tries to re-size my windows when I have them shrunk down and moving around the desktop. There's probably a setting that I haven't bothered looking for yet because I'm too lazy. But, the fact WinXP won't be supported in 2013 is not a big deal to me.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Mustang. We are a world wide organization with 50K plus as well and I would say 80% are still on XP while the others have made their way to 7. However I disgree at the same time. Most stable MS OS I have used is 2k and the best thus far is 7 IMO. I had a C64 and still do....and it works. I have used EVERY single OS MS has come out with ....mostly because I was running a computer service company and that is what we did ALL DAY LONG.