Will the GB OTA ever be rooted. Should one wait?

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm rooted running 2.3.340 Froyo. I don't want to loose root on the OTA upgrade. I have Bootstrap w/ Clockwork that will block the "silent" OTA. Does anyone think this OTA can be rooted later on. Should one wait for root or just get one of the leaks that can be rooted of GB?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As of this date, nobody has successfully rooted any GB otas. Only the leaks. Not to say it wont be....but the one click methods used on FROYO do not work. Those exploits have been fixed. Until you hear that its been rooted from stock....I'd suggest staying rooted on FROYO and use the leaks.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
As of this date, nobody has successfully rooted any GB otas. Only the leaks. Not to say it wont be....but the one click methods used on FROYO do not work. Those exploits have been fixed. Until you hear that its been rooted from stock....I'd suggest staying rooted on FROYO and use the leaks.

I'll probably stay on FROYO. But are the leaks as good as the OTA. In terms of bugs/glitches or changes? Also was it Google or Motorola that blocked the "current" root methods for OTA GB?

Thanks!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I thought .588 was the OTA GB and that it uses a unique way to flash it so you get root and OTA GB.

Daciple

Reaction score
P3 has released GIngerbread rooted and Deoxed about a month ago. Runs with same options as you had with Froyo. I have droidx over clock and many other apps running great that require root. I've been running GB with root for about a month easy.

* Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!!

Daciple

Reaction score
The root for GB is available through TBH!

* Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk!!

Howie Dub

Reaction score
What do you use root for? If it's for OCing and performance, then I would go with GB over Froyo. I had a stable overclock at 1.3ghz and stock GB feels much zippier. I consistently get Quads in the mid 1800s and have gotten over 1900 numerous times. By comparison, my Quads on 1.3ghz Froyo were no higher than 1750. I know it's not an ideal way to compare, but it gives you an idea. I tried the pre-rooted GB and while I got as high as 2375, it wasn't worth the extra heat generated and it also felt less stable than the unrooted GB. You can always sbf back using that new sbf method if you don't like it. Just my .02 and I hope that helps.

Swyped from my DROIDX using DroidForums while doing a #2.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
What do you use root for? If it's for OCing and performance, then I would go with GB over Froyo. I had a stable overclock at 1.3ghz and stock GB feels much zippier. I consistently get Quads in the mid 1800s and have gotten over 1900 numerous times. By comparison, my Quads on 1.3ghz Froyo were no higher than 1750. I know it's not an ideal way to compare, but it gives you an idea. I tried the pre-rooted GB and while I got as high as 2375, it wasn't worth the extra heat generated and it also felt less stable than the unrooted GB. You can always sbf back using that new sbf method if you don't like it. Just my .02 and I hope that helps.

Swyped from my DROIDX using DroidForums while doing a #2.

I use root for Screen Grabs, Nandroid Backups, APK add ons in root Dir, Ad Blocking.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Then give the pre-rooted GB a shot. Wiping is a pain but i think GB is worth it. I hosed my Superuser, so I had to sbf anyway and figured I'd give it a shot. The things I like best are the zippiness, voice commands opens much faster, there's a tab that has been added which allows you to move the cursor more precisely when editing or adding text, and pressing the home button once while on the home screen opens all 7 pages like with Sense UI and with Launcher Pro. Pinch would have been nicer, but it works. Two glitches I've noticed is that the home buttons are extra bright and not all apps show up in the market, but Jrummy has a fix for that with the rooted GB called Market Fix.

Swyped from my Droid X while doing a #2

Daciple

Reaction score
They have stepped it up on the BLUR also in GB! I was blurless on Froyo cause I felt alot of it was junk or not very useful. GB has stepped up. Great social features and multi-functions like the new app drawer. I use launcherPro Plus and I have the Stock GB app drawer load instead. I feel it runs smoother also, i stopped overclocking when I went to GB!

* Running DROIDX on GB Honeybread!!