Want to do GB OTA Upgrade but have a question first?

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have a Droid X rooted with z4root. I want to update to GB but don't want to lose my Apps, Settings, in other words want my phone to stay the same but with GB. Also I heard that Rooted -> Unrooted Droid Xs have issues installing the OTA GB, failing on install 1/4 way through. Can anyone guide me to the right direction if it is possible.

rmr0012

Reaction score
I was in a similar position. I had a rooted Froyo and not thinking did the OTA GB update. Well, as it stands you can't root that. So I had to sbf back to Froyo, root it and then flash the two part rooted GB that is out there. So far all is well. I did have to do a factory reset but luckily most of my apps were re-downloaded. I didn't use it, but I think titanium will back up your apps.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
I have a Droid X rooted with z4root. I want to update to GB but don't want to lose my Apps, Settings, in other words want my phone to stay the same but with GB. Also I heard that Rooted -> Unrooted Droid Xs have issues installing the OTA GB, failing on install 1/4 way through. Can anyone guide me to the right direction if it is possible.

Titanium backup is one way to save all of your stuff, but requires root access. You will then have to do the rooted .596 flash and restore your stuff. Google will automatically resync most of your stuff, or for apps you can also use AppBrain.

If you do not want to mess with making a backup and restoring after flashing GingerBread, then you need to unroot and perform the OTA update and hope all goes smoothly. Otherwise, you are looking at a SBF and data loss except fpr the stuff synched to Google.