Will Rooting and different ROM help my issues?

68showngo

Reaction score
My phone has been having issues with the keyboard, and with the music apps quite a bit.. should I try to get it covered under warranty, or would rooting with a different ROM help? I've had the original Droid, and my first Droid X rooted for most of the time I had them, and now I got my second Droid X and have had issues since the day I got it.

My last Droid X had something fall on it not hard enough to cause any physical damage, but somehow the screen quit working and I got a refurbished (I'm guessing) phone now under warranty so not sure if that would cause any of the issues I'm having.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly is wrong with your keyboard and music apps? I always recommend running a different ROM, but if the phone is a lemon to begin with, I'd get a new one.

random rom'd X

OP

68showngo

Reaction score
Almost every time I press the space bar the keyboard goes down on me.. the Swype keyboard works though, but I don't like it as much. The music issues are mostly with PowerAmp, and often restarts the phone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go to settings>applications>manage applications> then find multi-touch keyboard. Select it and then do clear data.

As for the music player, I don't know. I have never had that issue on any ROM.

Random ROM'd X

OP

68showngo

Reaction score
Wow thanks! That worked for the keyboard.. I've never had an issue Rooting and running a custom ROM on my phone, but this time I just didn't see the point.. I had wireless tether, and everything else I needed.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Are you running Gingerbread? Your issues sound very Gingerbread-ish. If so, changing the phone to another one with Gingerbread will likely not fix it since so many others seem to have similar issues. Changing the OS/ROM, etc. sounds like it would work though.

OP

68showngo

Reaction score
I don't really know too much about it.. I just tried rooting it with z4root, but apparently it doesn't work on my version or is it just my phone? I've seen so many links that basically just confuse me.. Where is a good updated one that works? My last phone I did with Z4root, and the phone before that I already forgot...

System version: 4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 2.3.3
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g34b306dtkwp86@ca25rhe81#2

OP

68showngo

Reaction score
Nevermind, got it rooted and running Simply Stunning from Chevyno1! Always my favorite on my first Droid, guess I'll see how I like it on this one. What a process...