Will my unlocked Droid 4 work in Germany or Europe ?

ered

Reaction score
I'm trying to follow up all this talk about GSM or not?? Is there a way to find you or will a new device will come out for Global USE??

Thanks

Drakuun

Reaction score
I'm trying to follow up all this talk about GSM or not?? Is there a way to find you or will a new device will come out for Global USE??

Thanks

Mailed Motorola about the Droid 4 / Milestone 4.
They say the following:
"We are sorry to inform you that we have currently no plans regarding the release of the Milestone 4 or the Droid series in Europe. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."
And:
"We would like to inform you that the Motorola Droid 4 is a CDMA 4G phone which works on the following bands:
2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900
3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 13
Since there are no CDMA or LTE bands in Europe, we are afraid this phone will not work here."

Pretty devistating news for me, the Droid 4 is for me the perfect device and I have not found any that come near it's functionalities even close.
I currently use a Milestone 1 (Droid 1) which is a decent phone, yet it has it's flaws and is wearing down after 2 years of use.

OP
ered

ered

Reaction score
@drakuun, Thank you for this SAD valuable information and I hope they change their mind.I wanted Droid 4 to me my next Smartphone.

r314bd

Reaction score
The Droid 4 has a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip which technically can support both CDMA/EVDO and GSM/UMTS networks. You'd have to flash a different baseband though, which I know nothing about.

Drakuun

Reaction score
The Droid 4 has a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip which technically can support both CDMA/EVDO and GSM/UMTS networks. You'd have to flash a different baseband though, which I know nothing about.

Ah, hope again, yet it always hangs by a thread.
The finest mobile I ever had for it's time was the nokia 5100.
It's form, shape and weight were idealy built, disregarding the design on an esthetic level.
Full of features yet able to take a beating, if it had GPS back then I might be still using it today.
Survived my sister's welding classes for a year after me, even after some keys were molded toghether.
Never after that did I have a similar experience with any mobile.
None have all the basic necessities such as a decent and efficient input method (qwerty/azerty keyboard), an affection albeit slight towards trying to have autonomy (native power saving function as the droid4 promises), being able to use the phone freely without having to live around it and being careful in the rain (Motorola builds them well, this one can take a drop of both water and gravity, scratchproof glass helps as well), etc.....
I simply refuse to buy a phone of which the general public thinks it's the best, and having to also purchase satin gloves and tweezers to be able to use it.

All ranting aside, I'll look into flashing etc and if it's reasonably doable, thanks for the tip!

OP
ered

ered

Reaction score
Thank you, But Motorola said it on their web-page that is NOT European ready YET. I want the phone now and not in 6 months.
I have decide to go somewhere else with Android as my OS. I'm still on N97 :( .

Drakuun

Reaction score
Strange that Verizon mentions the following on their site for the Droid 4 by Motorola:
"SPECIFICATIONS
Features
Modes CDMA 800/1900 MHz, Dual Band Diversity, CDMA EVDO rev A, LTE B13 w/Diversity, WCDMA 900/2100 MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz "
Source:
Droid 4 by Motorola

Doesn't this suggest that it does work?

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Strange that Verizon mentions the following on their site for the Droid 4 by Motorola:
"SPECIFICATIONS
Features
Modes CDMA 800/1900 MHz, Dual Band Diversity, CDMA EVDO rev A, LTE B13 w/Diversity, WCDMA 900/2100 MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz "
Source:
Droid 4 by Motorola

Doesn't this suggest that it does work?

It shows the hardware specifications. That has no bearing on whether it's been enabled by the firmware or not.