Will my OG droid charger work? 5.1V - 0.85A versus 5.0V - 1.0A for the GN charger.

Cubemonkey

Reaction score
Any thoughts? The OG Droid charger would be used for keeping charge at work. I'd rather not burn out this battery somehow.

IanG

Reaction score
More than likely.

Why not just give it a try and see if it works?

OP
C

Cubemonkey

Reaction score
More than likely.

Why not just give it a try and see if it works?

Well, I don't doubt that it will charge the battery. What I'm not sure of is whether it will cause damage to the battery over the long run.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
I can confirm the charger works. I have the car charger from my OGD and the wall charger as well as the usb data/charge calbe. all of them work and charge the Nexus just fine.

nbucko

Reaction score
Weird, I have a Moto wall charger (not sure what phone it came with) and it does not work with the GN. Also, my wife has a Stratosphere that works the same way. Samsung charger is the only one that works which really sucks since I have a ton of chargers from LG and Moto laying around.

scdown

Reaction score
You *might* find that the Nexus charger charges a bit more quickly that the Droid one. I found that with my Bionic, and so far it seems to be true with my Nexus.

OP
C

Cubemonkey

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit:

My original droid charger (from the box) is 5.1V and 0.85A. My buddy's extra charger (for his OG droid) that he bought from a VZW store is 5.0V 1.0A, the same as the GN. I guess it should work. I'll test tonight.

Detonation

Reaction score
Theoretical speaking, you should be safe with either charger. The increase in amps will not damage the battery - the device will only pull as much current as its rated for. Now voltage on the other hand is a different story. If you use a charger with a much higher voltage rating, it could destroy the battery. However, the 5.0v vs 5.1v difference here shouldn't really matter - USB ports are rated up to 5.25V (I think) and modern phones like these should sufficient voltage regulation anyways.

That being said, I know some OEM's love to add their own tweaks to the circuit so that only specifically rated chargers (their own) will work, but that shouldn't be a problem here.

PrISM

Reaction score
It could work... Then again it could theoretically melt your Nexus.

cloud12077

Reaction score
Theoretical speaking, you should be safe with either charger. The increase in amps will not damage the battery - the device will only pull as much current as its rated for. Now voltage on the other hand is a different story. If you use a charger with a much higher voltage rating, it could destroy the battery. However, the 5.0v vs 5.1v difference here shouldn't really matter - USB ports are rated up to 5.25V (I think) and modern phones like these should sufficient voltage regulation anyways.

That being said, I know some OEM's love to add their own tweaks to the circuit so that only specifically rated chargers (their own) will work, but that shouldn't be a problem here.

Hit it pretty much on the head.

dlcramer

Reaction score

Plus the ratings are based on averages. There is a +/- fluctuation involved.

Just remember... its not the voltage that kills ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

yoyohere2

Reaction score
After trying out various LG, HTC, Sony ericsson AC adapters. I found out it is not the charger, but the USB cable that doesn't work.

For example, I can use the micro usb cable that came with Galaxy nexus and plug it into any LG, HTC, Sony charger and it works.
Using a LG micro usb cable and put it in the Galaxy nexus charger does not work.

So it's the usb cable and not the charger, not sure what type of usb cable to buy. Let me know what you guys think.

boilerkj

Reaction score
yoyo, I'm using the USB cable from my OG to charge off my laptop and it seems to work fine - except for the the whole usb charges slowly deal.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
5.0 vs 5.1V is no big deal, it's safe to just ignore that number.

The current draw is important. The Galaxy Nexus comes with a 1A charger, the Droid came with an 850mA (0.8A) charger.

Both will (should?) charge with either one just fine. A device will only "pull" as much current as it needs - you don't need to worry about over-charging the Droid if you use the nexus charger. In fact, I've used 1A and even 2A USB chargers with my Droid with no problems at all (but of course, the Droid is notorious for being VERY picky about chargers - aftermarket and especially offbrand or no-brand-from-china chargers cause the touchscreen to go berserk)

As for the Samsung - stick to a 1A charger if you can. The lower current chargers will work, but they will charge slower. Just like how you CAN charge from a USB port (500mA = 0.5A). You MAY find that if you are using a charger that puts out less than 1A that it will say that it's charging when the battery is staying the same or even dropping. That will be more likely to happen if you're using a lot of network, navigating, etc - anything with a larger power draw. I haven't tested that myself with the Galaxy, but with the Droid it was very easy to be using more power than you are gaining when downloading large files over 3G and charging off a USB port with the screen on.

So far I've charged my Galaxy Nexus from my Droid charger, my USB port, the Motorola charger that came with my S305 headset (sucks, btw), and my Kindle charger. I will probably take inventory and see what the actual maximum current draw specs are for each of these - and possibly buy some additional 1A or 2A bricks just to make sure I'm not charging any slower than I have to!

lazarus2297

Reaction score
i have a plethora of usb chargers at home.. I normally charge with an older motorola charger that pushes 550mA just because i normally charge overnight so i have time for the slower charge. I have a moto charger at my desk that does 850mA for quickie charges.. I rarely use the Samsung charger being that I already have the others set up... I do sometimes use a generic usb charger when I have a LOOONNG time to let it charge, because it only charges at 150mA it takes a super long time to charge, but I just have this thing that surely the slower charge is better... please if someone knows otherwise let me know so I can reduce clutter next to my night stand :)