Will this work with my droid?

hiitsmelenny

Reaction score
Solar Battery Charger For Verizon Motorola Droid A855 - eBay (item 280437266439 end time Jan-10-10 06:20:21 PST)

I saw this and really like it but want to make sure it won't fry or kill my droid. It's coming from China and the charger seems to come with a billion "converters" to make it compatible with a lot of things. I'm not an electrician, but I know the Droid comes with a 5.1V, 850mA charger but when you plug it in to your computer you're getting 5.0V, 500mA (which is the official USB spec). Does the solar charger fit into this mold? Thanks

rook

Reaction score
I dunno. But if it does, that's pretty cool.

silverx10

Reaction score
I'd say that if it's a third-party charger, it's prolly gonna cause you some grief while it's plugged in.

Seems to be the consensus around here.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'd say that if it's a third-party charger, it's prolly gonna cause you some grief while it's plugged in.

What He said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lafond

Reaction score
So from what I understand, it's an external battery that can be charged with the sun or USB then transfer the charge to your phone? Interesting idea, I wonder how well it works or how much sunlight you actually need.

Daywalker

Reaction score

Yup none of my old plug in chargers work but all of my old USB ones do. :icon_question:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you look at what it includes, it does not include a micro-usb adapter. So no you cannot use it with the droid. Even though it touts you can.

xxfire

Reaction score
If you look at what it includes, it does not include a micro-usb adapter. So no you cannot use it with the droid. Even though it touts you can.

Ya... Cool Idea...
WOuld be VERY helpful for me when out in the field, firefighter here..

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ya... Cool Idea...

There is something similar but just isn't a solar powered pack. It's a battery pack which can be charged on it's own, and then be used for power for the droid. I believe the battery in it is also a 1400mAh so it will supply a good amount of power. I just can't remember the dang name. It's been mentioned on this site a few times.

xxfire

Reaction score

Ya... Cool Idea...

There is something similar but just isn't a solar powered pack. It's a battery pack which can be charged on it's own, and then be used for power for the droid. I believe the battery in it is also a 1400mAh so it will supply a good amount of power. I just can't remember the dang name. It's been mentioned on this site a few times.

Have it.. but need to see if they carry micro usb attachments..

daddyd302

Reaction score
I saw something like this at Best Buy. I thought this would be great for camping trips if they work on the Droid. It was on clearance for $9.99.....