Will Galaxy Nexus ever get price drop from Verizon?

akleopard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had originally intended to wait until after CES 2012 to decide on what phone to use my upgrade on. However, I'm getting this mad itch to just upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus right now.

My question is, if I do indeed wait until after CES to make up my mind, would I be better off to just stick it out for a month longer to pay less for the phone? As much as I want the phone, $300 + CA cell phone tax is a big blow to my wallet.

I have looked around, and some people believe that the Nexus will never see a price drop from Verizon. Can anyone else verify this? If this is the opinion of the majority, I'd probably get the phone ASAP. This way, it won't be considered outdated technology for a longer period of time (Nexus S feels like it just came out yesterday still). Thanks in advance for the help!

chadh1

Reaction score
Not sure on price drop. I would assume it will have one, but if/when it would I am not sure. If you wait until after CES, won't you want the new phones that will be showcased that will be coming out early spring to mid summer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Flandry

Reaction score
There is nothing official from Verizon to say either way. But Verizon is the leader in raising the price on phones. So unless a significant widespread flaw is found with the phone (ex. Thunderbolt), I think it's likely that any price drop won't occur until Verizon has a better phone available. Look at how long the Charge stayed at $300.

jcardona1

Reaction score
On 12/28 i exchanged my nexus for a new one and got a $100 refund because the rep said it was on sale for $199. Not sure how long that lasted.

A few days later i took it back for the rezound and had to pay the $100 back :/

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
I would be really surprised if there wasnt a substantial price drop pretty soon. But, I would think it would be based on sales figures for the phone. With all the competition, I imagine they would try and keep the price competitive. Especially after CES.

Does anybody know where we can get accurate sales figures for the GNex? As well as the competition?

OP
A

akleopard

Reaction score
Not sure on price drop. I would assume it will have one, but if/when it would I am not sure. If you wait until after CES, won't you want the new phones that will be showcased that will be coming out early spring to mid summer?

That's what I thought at first. But when I thought about it more, I realized this- every year, there are tons of htc and motorola phones that pop out. Sure, the rezound might be new and cool now, but in a couple of months it will get replaced by the HTC Ville or Edge. However, every year there is only one phone that carries the nexus name.

I'm still on my original droid. The droid was a revolutionary phone that changed everything, and ever since then I've been looking and waiting for the next big thing. And I think (and hope) the GNex is this next big thing. Basically, I'm looking for something thatwhen I look around 2 years later, there will still be a ton of users using the same phone with me. I don't think I can say the same for phones like the Cgarge, or even the Rezound.

What originally turned me off from the GNex was the 5 mp camera, since I don't own and don't plan on getting another camera, but I think I can live with it.

chadh1

Reaction score
I love the nexus and don't regret my purchase, I will be happy for the next 2 years. I don't think the camera is that bad, I have taken some decent pictures so far. Only thing I am not fond of is the speaker isn't very loud, but an app out improves it greatly. Also, my screen orientation is slow at times and at times I get a bit of keyboard lag when typing. Otherwise no other issues. Awesome phone

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
it will when it's considered an older model.

Chukee

Reaction score
You might be waiting a while for Verizon do reduce the price. Even on the thunderbolt it took them a while to reduce the price. Your best bet is to check other outlets that reduce the price way before Verizon does.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Amazon usually has a great deal a few months after, even during the release I believe they had it on contract for $249.99.

I bet you could get it for $199 on Amazon in another 2 months.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
If you buy it at Best Buy they will price match some online retailers. Bought mine for $299 but went back a few days later and got a price adjustment because Amazon had it for $249.

EDIT:
In fact I am going back again tomorrow for another price adjustment because amazon now has it for $229.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you buy it at Best Buy they will price match some online retailers. Bought mine for $299 but went back a few days later and got a price adjustment because Amazon had it for $249.

EDIT:
In fact I am going back again tomorrow for another price adjustment because amazon now has it for $229.

Surprised they've done that for you. I've tried to get them to match online prices before and they never do, must depend on the store/employee.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Surprised they've done that for you. I've tried to get them to match online prices before and they never do, must depend on the store/employee.

I have been getting online price matches at Best Buy for years. Dates back 5 years ago when they matched an online retailer on a big screen I was buying. Saved me $1100. But they have also matched VZW no contract prices and amazon contract prices on phones. I have heard people saying their local store would not budge. Guess I have a good one that wants the business.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Had no idea BB price matches with online retailers. I tried a couple times a couple years ago (before I started using Amazon) and they never did match. For me though amazon is much better, don't gotta go to the store, gets delivered in two days for free (I had prime) and best of all no tax:hail: