Will Formatting /system erase my user data?

Reaction score
So i'm upgrading from Eclipse 2.1 to 2.2 and i'd rather not wipe my user data. i was under the impression that i could just format the cache, dalvik, and /system, but when i think about it, formatting /system would probably wipe all my user data, correct?

gsDroid

Reaction score
While I don't think formatting /system will erase user data, it is not a good idea to move to a new rom and keep user data. Are you coming from a stock .902 system? It has been stated and frequently confirmed that if you don't wipe acording to the rom's install instructions, you won't like the result. You can always try it that way, and if you have problems, wipe all, including data, and install the rom again.

gsDroid

Reaction score
OK, since you're coming from eclipse already, you could just try installing 2.2 by wiping cache, dalvik, and formatting system without wiping data. The instructions in the Eclipse rom section of Bionic hacks say if you get weirdness without wiping data, try wiping data and install again.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wiping system won't erase any user data. You should be able to update to 2.2 from 2.1 without wiping anything.