Wifi Search Time Interval?

trevorx3

Reaction score
Is there anyway to change the intervals of the wifi scanning? I think I heard there's a way to change it if the Droid had been rooted. I will gladly root (again) if this is the case.

I would like to leave my wifi on, however I go between many hotspots and don't want it scanning every 5? seconds. I would prefer a 10-15 minute interval.

Any ideas or suggestions?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to change the intervals of the wifi scanning? I think I heard there's a way to change it if the Droid had been rooted. I will gladly root (again) if this is the case.

I would like to leave my wifi on, however I go between many hotspots and don't want it scanning every 5? seconds. I would prefer a 10-15 minute interval.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Not sure but you might try Locale

OP
T

trevorx3

Reaction score
Not sure about that, personally. I would like to limit the Wifi scanning to save battery. Wouldn't using Locale, which would actively be using GPS, contradict my wifi battery saving?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yeah you have to root again. These changes are in the build.prop, located under /system. Its pretty self explanatory:

Code:
wifi.interface = tiwlan0
# Time between scans in seconds. Keep it high to minimize battery drain.
# This only affects the case in which there are remembered access points,
# but none are in range.
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 15

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that, personally. I would like to limit the Wifi scanning to save battery. Wouldn't using Locale, which would actively be using GPS, contradict my wifi battery saving?

Sorry, I don't have Locale and I'm only barely familiar with its features but I was under the impression that it allows one to set timers as well as location to control various phone features. There's another app (that I'm also not familiar with--great help, aren't I?) called timeriffic (I believe) that might do the job for you. It is limited to scheduling as I understand it.