wifi tether and windows 7...

DeathGrind

Reaction score
I wasn't sure were to post this. I possibly should of posted in a windows 7 forum, but it pertains to both the droid and windows 7.

Anyway, I have my Moto Droid rooted and ROM'd with Wifi tether. In windows 7 there is no option to have my PC connect automatically to the Droid. I have no problems connecting automatically to other wifi hotspots, just the droid created one. No option to connect automatically.

Is there a fix for this. Is there some kind of setting I can change in windows to connect to my droid hotspot?

Thanks

OP
DeathGrind

DeathGrind

Reaction score
no luck huh. 80 some views and no suggestions. I will keep looking and post back here if i find a solution.
If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

refriend

Reaction score
Sorry. I have no answer... just wanted to let you know that you're not the only person with this problem.

coachaddict

Reaction score
Does your computer and droid teather at all? Is the problem just auto connecting?

I am thinking about purchasing PDAnet to tether my laptop. I have windows 7. I am hoping that it works.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Julisa

refriend

Reaction score
Yes, WifiTether works between the Moto Droid and Win 7. I am running Win 7 (64-bit) Ultimate. I have no problem manually connecting, entering the WEP key each time, and designating the type of network. It is a bit more annoying than normal wifi routers which remember these settings between access times.

PDAnet also worked well, but I prefer the tether since it is easier to share my 'hotspot' with friends (no software needed on laptops).

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Unfortunately I also have to do the same thing. With wifi tether, your network name eg: "AT&T Sucks" for mine when I go to starbucks, will always have a trailing number when you connect to windows 7 - "AT&T Sucks 3". That number changes each time you connect, and as a result doesn't save in your laptop's wifi memory. Until there's a new version of wifi tether that fixes this, you can expect this to continue since the recognized name changes each time it is used.

V

verian

I don't have a complete understanding of this problem. I have windows 7 64 bit and I have no problem with any rom and every kernel I used. It shows up when I click on the task bar network icon and I never had to do or change a thing on the PC

V

verian

Big sorry on that last post I didn't read carefully enough This is true I don't connect auto, I do it manually. I don't think you want this to happen cause you should tether as little as possible.

refriend

Reaction score
I feel a thread about to be blown off course...

In answer to the thread's original topic we seem to have validated:
- WiFiTether works on Win 7
- WiFiTether does not behave like a normal wifi hotspot (the settings are never saved in the same name... SSID1, SSID2,.. SSIDn (n>0)

Cheers

coachaddict

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. It helps.

The Wifitether you all are reffering to is that Barnacle Wifi Tether? In the description it says it needs root access and 2.1 OTA removes root. Has anyone who is not rooted and has 2.1 tried it? If yes, what were the results.

If not is there something besides besides PDAnet that is recommended? I found EasyTeather in the market. It seems to have decent recommendations. When I do a search on the forums and the net, PDAnet seems to come up the most. I do want to get into secure websites so I would like to download the best one the first time.

Thanks for your help,

Julisa

refriend

Reaction score
I am referring to android-wifi-tether (android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code). It is still in Beta and not available from the market. Just browse to it from your droid, download and install.

I have also used Barnacle, but recent versions stopped working. I can't remember if Barnacle had the same issues as wifi-tether.

It is probably worth investigating again.

I believe all wifi tethers require the phone to be rooted.

OP
DeathGrind

DeathGrind

Reaction score
PDAnet is decent. I purchased before rooting my phone and it works well. PDAnet works great using usb tether, but it seemed to drop my connection when often when using bluetooth DUN.
I was really looking for a stable wireless tether so that led me to rooting and wifi tether. The wifi tether works reasonably well, and is stable most of the time. My only complaint is the inability to connect automatically.
I live off grid and my phone is my only source for internet. I refuse to have hughesnet as they are overpriced and their service sucks. I also refuse to give verizon 60 dollars a month for their 5gb data plan, since they charged me an extra 165 dollars a few months back when I unknowingly went over my 5gb allowance on my usb modem. Which I have cancelled since then.
From what i 've read and talked to verizon support (a friend of mine), my phone's internet is unlimited....to an extent. As long as I don't tell them I'm tethering it's unlimited, if I do the tether plan it's an extra 15 dollars a month, and then it's limited to 5gb. What a joke. End rant.

Anyway, so my phone is my only internet source. It would be super convienant to have my other devices connect automatically to my droid, at least my laptop. I am still looking for a solution, but no luck as of yet. If I happen to stumble across something that works ill post back here.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

baldybill

Reaction score
I'm using this, and for some reason it only works for about 30 minutes and then stops.
The app looks like it's running, but my PC doesn't see it.

I had used it on my OG Droid and had no problems.
I am NOT running any tasker or battery saver type programs that could conflict with the settings.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I am referring to android-wifi-tether (android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code). It is still in Beta and not available from the market. Just browse to it from your droid, download and install.

I have also used Barnacle, but recent versions stopped working. I can't remember if Barnacle had the same issues as wifi-tether.

It is probably worth investigating again.

I believe all wifi tethers require the phone to be rooted.

googlelover

Reaction score
I'm using this, and for some reason it only works for about 30 minutes and then stops.
The app looks like it's running, but my PC doesn't see it.

I had used it on my OG Droid and had no problems.
I am NOT running any tasker or battery saver type programs that could conflict with the settings.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Really your revivng a nearly 2 year old thread? Its no the app thats failing, its most likely your 3G getting cut out, if it happens AFAIK there is no known way to fix it.