Wifi Battery Drain?

Scott1974

Reaction score
I have not been using the wifi feature on my phone since I was told by someone at the Verizon store that it would kill the battery quicker since the phone would constantly be looking for a wifi signal when not at home or the office. Has anyone has any experience with this? I'd prefer to use the wifi at home for faster downloads and webpage loading.

bastosero

Reaction score
My battery lasts about twice longer on wi-fi than using 3G on my phone. When I use wi-fi I have it on all the time even when my phone is idle. I thought it would've been the other way around, but I guess not for me. My battery would last around 12 hours before it dies on medium usage on 3G and about a day on wi-fi on medium usage also.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you leave wifi on your phone will constantly search for a connection. As long as you are connected the impact to you battery is not as bad as during the search.

Mike

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the searching would drain the battery but, clearly, your experience indicates that impression to be incorrect.

OP
S

Scott1974

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the searching would drain the battery but, clearly, your experience indicates that impression to be incorrect.

This is the impression that I received from the Verizon in-store rep as well. Thanks for the clarification! Wifi it is from this point forward!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is the impression that I received from the Verizon in-store rep as well. Thanks for the clarification! Wifi it is from this point forward!

Let us know if you experience is different.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ife-youve-got-questions-weve-got-answers.html

This thread suggests that you turn your WiFi off when you can not use it. It uses some juice if it's on, and if it is doing nothing, that is a waste. When you can use it, it is a batter saver. 3G has to work pretty hard moving large amounts of data, and it is slow, which means it takes longer doing it.

I personally leave my wifi on unless I'm getting low on battery and am away from a charger. At that point I turn off everything I can. It's my only phone, it really does have to be on all the time.