Auto switch from 3G to WiFi on Droid 1

xmguy

Reaction score
I noticed if I leave my WiFI on my Droid it will choose WiFi over 3G when at home and change to 3G when abroad. My question is will this drain power quicker than manually changing from 3G to WiFi?

I'd rather use WiFi as it's faster than my 3G connection at full signal.

Thanks

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed if I leave my WiFI on my Droid it will choose WiFi over 3G when at home

Your phone is preforming correctly. When wifi is on and available it takes precedence.

and change to 3G when abroad.
I've not been abroad but recently traveled to Montreal Canada. Other that wifi I had no access to data, which I knew prior to traveling, so I did not have 3G. I find it strange that when abroad your 3G takes precedence.

My question is will this drain power quicker than manually changing from 3G to WiFi?

When you have wifi on the phone will search. I doubt you will notice a significant drain.

Thanks

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I noticed if I leave my WiFI on my Droid it will choose WiFi over 3G when at home

Your phone is preforming correctly. When wifi is on and available it takes precedence.

Good to know

and change to 3G when abroad.
I've not been abroad but recently traveled to Montreal Canada. Other that wifi I had no access to data, which I knew prior to traveling, so I did not have 3G. I find it strange that when abroad your 3G takes precedence.

When I leave my house is what I was referring to.

My question is will this drain power quicker than manually changing from 3G to WiFi?

When you have wifi on the phone will search. I doubt you will notice a significant drain.

That's all I wanted to know

Thanks

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Yes it is. thank you

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you found it helpful. As for leaving your house, if wifi is turned on and you depart to a location that does not have wifi 3G will automatically take over.

Mike

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Glad you found it helpful. As for leaving your house, if wifi is turned on and you depart to a location that does not have wifi 3G will automatically take over.

Mike

I've also noticed ANY area I go to that has open WiFi it will take over and auto connect.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

I've also noticed ANY area I go to that has open WiFi it will take over and auto connect.

Yep! If wifi is turned on it trumps 3G!

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

Mike

Yep! If wifi is turned on it trumps 3G!

I wish there was a way to force it to lock and connect to my wifi network automatically only. Then notify but not connect and leave 3G on.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The closest I can think of would be to turn on airplane mode. But that would prevent you from receiving phone calls as well.

harrellj

Reaction score
Weirdly, my wireless works like you request (only connects to my home network automatically but not others). I have also only ever connected my phone to my home network. If you go to wireless settings, there is an option to notify when a network is available, do you have that checked? Also, is your home network generically named?

If none of that helps, one possible option is to use something like Locale or Tasker to turn off the wireless if you're not at home, but of course that means it won't notify when you're out.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
The closest I can think of would be to turn on airplane mode. But that would prevent you from receiving phone calls as well.

What I'm wanting is to save power use as little VZW data is possible at home then have it auto switch to 3G when I leave my home. But it seems to be a double edged sward. When WiFi is on it WILL auto switch from 3G to WiFi. But will try to connect to every open wifi network around stopping any active data sessions on 3G.

On the flip side. Turning WiFi on and off manually is more time consuming but I can choose when WiFi is used and when 3G is used. but it won't happen automacally.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Weirdly, my wireless works like you request (only connects to my home network automatically but not others). I have also only ever connected my phone to my home network. If you go to wireless settings, there is an option to notify when a network is available, do you have that checked? Also, is your home network generically named?

If none of that helps, one possible option is to use something like Locale or Tasker to turn off the wireless if you're not at home, but of course that means it won't notify when you're out.

I've got mine setup that way. Even then it seems to auto connect to open networks or atleast drops any 3G network. So the end result is the same.