1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Widgets vs shortcuts - question from a non-techie

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by lauriep, Nov 10, 2009.

1. lauriep

lauriep New Member

Hi, all - I am coming from a Voyageur, but doing fine with my phone, enormously happy with it. But I do not understand a) what a widget is and b) what is the difference between a widget and a shortcut.

Also, what is the very best weather app? That seems to be a popular app with lots of choices.
  2. mchoffa

mchoffa New Member

A widget is an app running on your screen... such as displaying the time and weather without having to click on anything

A shortcut is simply a link to open whatever app/contact/bookmark/etc you want a quick link to
  3. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Exactly. The more widgets you put on your screen the more battery drain you'll get too. They are running apps.
  4. lauriep

lauriep New Member

Thanks! Now I get it. Posting this from my DROID!
  5. andjarnic

andjarnic New Member

Widgets are great if you look at your phone a lot thruought the day.. but if you are out and about a lot and not able to charge so often, I would not run that many. An app like the FB widget which gets an update every 1/2 hour probably wont drain too much.. it's mostly sitting around waiting for that 1/2 hour, then gets updates. But any widget that can run continuously, or get updates every minute or so, will drain your battery faster. How much is really dependend on the app. A widget app that has lots of threads running and uses a lot of cpu might drain faster than an app that doesn't do much at all (the duh factor. ;).
  6. lauriep

lauriep New Member

That makes perfect sense, and I do not need to look at my phone every 5 minutes. But I have been since yesterday...
Search tags for this page
android shortcut or widget
android widget vs shortcut
difference between a widget and shortcut
difference between widgets and apps
difference between widgets and shortcuts
different between widgets and shortcut
shortcut vs. widget
what is difference between apps and widgets
what is the difference between a widget and a shortcut
what is the difference between a widget and an app
what the difference between a widget and an app