nebie questions for you savy droid users

SCCSURF

Reaction score
I'm still waiting to purchase my droid, and I've done a lot of reading on here to try and learn as much as possible before I get my droid. I feel really confused and dumb for the following questions but here we go.

What does a widget do and whats the differance between a widget and an app?

How much space do these apps and widgets take up?

What are the home screens and why are there 3 of them?

What are the folders for on the home screen?

I think I need to do a lot more reading or I need to buy a jitterbug instead of a droid. Or maybe I just need to play around with it until I pick all this up. Anyway thanks inadvance, and sorry for the long post and stupid questions.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to purchase my droid, and I've done a lot of reading on here to try and learn as much as possible before I get my droid. I feel really confused and dumb for the following questions but here we go.

What does a widget do and whats the differance between a widget and an app?

How much space do these apps and widgets take up?

What are the home screens and why are there 3 of them?

What are the folders for on the home screen?

I think I need to do a lot more reading or I need to buy a jitterbug instead of a droid. Or maybe I just need to play around with it until I pick all this up. Anyway thanks inadvance, and sorry for the long post and stupid questions.

A widget is something that interacts actively with your home screen and doesn't require you to actually RUN the program, it stays running on the home screen.

Most apps range anywhere from 100KB to 1MB, as i said most, games will of course take up quite a bit more (though the data for most games gets put on your SD card).

Home screens are like your desktop on your computer, they are there for shortcuts, widgets, apps, folders. There are 3 so you can have more then 12 spaces to put that stuff.

Folders are for organization and also to help out on space, you will find that after you use it for awhile, the shortcuts for apps will take up much room, and you might need folders to help you put some of the apps in.

OP
SCCSURF

SCCSURF

Reaction score
New2u, thanks for the plain language reply. That helped me out alot. I still think I'll do most of the learning with the phone in my hand.

Trip

Reaction score
Try going here:
Product Demo

Its a droid simulator, you can see how alot of stuff works before you get your droid.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try going here:
Product Demo

Its a droid simulator, you can see how alot of stuff works before you get your droid.

Yup definitely a good idea to be shown how to use it alittle prior to getting it. I need to send that link to one of my co-workers, she just got one, and she is not really savvy at all lol.

silverx10

Reaction score
And even then, you're gonna find that the DROID is full of surprises. For example, WiFi sleep mode toggling. You go into the WiFi menu, and then hit the Menu to access an Advanced menu. So... a menu within a menu within a menu.

A bit overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, 's on like Donkey Kong.

Just experiment. Tinker. Play around.

Enjoy.

superglen99

Reaction score
yeah the droid has a learning curve and it took me about a week to figure out all the ins and outs of it. If you pick it up remember this and it will help you a lot. use the MENU key and LONG PRESS (hold your finger down on the screen for a little bit) in all the different screens/apps and see what it does. a lot of peoples questions on this forum have been solved by using the menu or long press to get whatever they were trying to get done, done.

cnturn4401

Reaction score
From someone who was talked into this phone by my kids I don't know how I ever lived without it. Verizon made me replace my last phone because it did not have GPS (two years ago). On my next phone I told them I did not need a phone with a camera. Needless to say I am slow to catch up with technology. Do yourself a huge favor....Get this phone and start playing with it! There is a thread on this site that is a lifesaver...type My Droid set up guide for new users and it should get you going.

GO DROID