WI FI issues

booberry

Reaction score
This past spring we were in Australia with our Droid2 Global phone. We could not connect to the internet via sifi while we were there. We did not have a sim card activated. Did we need to do this to activate the wifi? Wifi works perfectly in the US. Any ideas?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This is a stretch.

802.11a is not used anywhere these days. WiFi is standardised all over the world, and uses a subset of channels. The D2G supports all subsets.

Snow02

Reaction score
This is a stretch.

802.11a is not used anywhere these days. WiFi is standardised all over the world, and uses a subset of channels. The D2G supports all subsets.

I was surprised to find they use it at my school for the campus wifi, along with 802.11g. I was setting up a virtual wifi connection on my laptop and my phone (Droid X at that time) wouldn't connect to it. Found out that was why (the virtual connection uses the same protocol as the primary connection). First and only time I've run across it.

OP
B

booberry

Reaction score
This is a stretch.

Do I have to switch the phone to global to use wifi overseas. We were not using the phones for calling on. Just a thought. I also have the DroidX and could not connect to wifi in Australia. We cant figure it out. We would like to get the bugs worked out as we are going to South America in a couple of months. Mabey you would know this. I have an international sim card and would like to unlock our D2G. I contacted Verizon for the unlock code which they gave me 2, no problem. Neither one works. I have read that the phone will unlock with the code when I leave the country. The verizon tech rep read me an email from moto about this. I have read this also on Droid forums, but I have also read that the phone must be in the country to unlock it. Do you have any knowledge on this. Let me know if you have some insight. Thanks

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
booberry,

If the codes did not work, request new ones. They must work anywhere in the world, including the USA.

You don't need any Global mode switching to use it overseas. I'm afraid I don't know why did it act up like that; I use WiFi on my D2G both in Japan and in Russia (haven't really been to the USA myself), and have yet to encounter any problems with it.

Snow02,
802.11a and 802.11b both provide WiFi Ad-Hoc mode, which lets you use compatible devices without a WiFi access point. I'm not sure what do you mean under “virtual” WiFi connexion, however, you can't use a device to share the same WiFi connection it connects to the outside world with, because there's only one transceiver. Some WiFi cards support repeater mode, where they rebroadcast whatever they get from the AP, but that will be the exact same proto as the one used by the AP.

OP
B

booberry

Reaction score
booberry,

If the codes did not work, request new ones. They must work anywhere in the world, including the USA.

Unlock code follow up. Shortly after posting on the forum about our D2G unlock issues, we had major problems with the phone which we had to exchange under warranty to Verizon. I called global tech support for the unlock code, which they generated for me and the code worked on the first try. Thank you for responding and posting on the forum.