Wi-Fi and Google Notifications issue?

mikeyd08

Reaction score
Hope this is the correct section.

On my Moto Droid I noticed, like others, I wasn't receiving notifications for Gmail. I also stopped receiving GVoice push notices, which is bad because I use it for voicemail.

I ran some tests today on two different wifi networks at my job.

1: On WiFi 1, sent email to gmail account, called GV from landline and left a message. Did not receive notifications after 15 mins, so I synced. Received both notifications right away.

2: Turned of wifi1, went to 3G. Did same test. Received both notifications in approx 15 seconds.

3: Went on WiFi2, did same test. Waited 15 mins. Nothing. I then just turned off wifi2, so back to 3G. Notifications arrived in about 15 seconds.

Is this normal? Is there an issue with notifications on wifi that I just wasn't aware of?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed any difference in receiving notifications. It works the same both with wifi on or wifi off.

OP
M

mikeyd08

Reaction score
Not for me. I'm getting exactly what I reported. I'll check to night on my home WiFi and see what I get. Could it just be my phone? Had since November 2009. Stock 2.1

BadWolf

Reaction score
I'm not receiving notifications for Gmail on wifi either. I can't download apps from the market when on wifi. Might be a problem with the router. Perhaps the firewall on the router is blocking them?

OP
M

mikeyd08

Reaction score
I am also unable to download from the market when on wifi only 3g. I'll test this too.

BadWolf

Reaction score
I turned off the firewall on my router and can now get notifications and apps on the wifi.

OP
M

mikeyd08

Reaction score
Well, don't know if this is the total cause, but the market and Gvoice notifications seem to be using port 5228. As soon as I opened that in my firewall, I receive GV notivications, and can download from the market over wifi.
Gmail notifications seem to use it too.

Last edited: