Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
The lag is all relevant. Since Apple exerts near total control over its device it is able to test and turn out a product that works in a way that an open system would have a hard time repeating.

Was it iOS 4 that crippled the iPhone and iPhone 3G? They would have lag in the minutes once iOS 4 was installed. I raise this because while the iPhone has guts on somewhat equivalent power to similar model Android devices, we must ask the load on the processors, I run a lot more on my Android than people can run on their iPhone.

It's a preference on my part to buy a device, Thunderbolt, that, while it might not be as smooth out of the box, two hours later is performing far above the iPhone 4 can ever hope to achieve. Some may just want a device that runs without any extra work, for them I recommend an iPhone.

I hope that compiles everything.

Cast by the Odinson's mighty Mjolnir!

xan

Reaction score
iphone is like a race car tuned to a specific left hand turn only track and restricted to run the same as all the other cars in the race. while the droids on the other hand, are ready to run in a variety of conditions as their drivers see fit. (road, rally and/or rockcrawling)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
iphone is like a race car tuned to a specific left hand turn only track and restricted to run the same as all the other cars in the race. while the droids on the other hand, are ready to run in a variety of conditions as their drivers see fit. (road, rally and/or rockcrawling)

unfortunately android supplies the same tires (the OS itself) to run in those variety of conditions and that's why they have all this lag.

OP
B

bodean

Reaction score
The lag is all relevant. Since Apple exerts near total control over its device it is able to test and turn out a product that works in a way that an open system would have a hard time repeating.

Was it iOS 4 that crippled the iPhone and iPhone 3G? They would have lag in the minutes once iOS 4 was installed. I raise this because while the iPhone has guts on somewhat equivalent power to similar model Android devices, we must ask the load on the processors, I run a lot more on my Android than people can run on their iPhone.

It's a preference on my part to buy a device, Thunderbolt, that, while it might not be as smooth out of the box, two hours later is performing far above the iPhone 4 can ever hope to achieve. Some may just want a device that runs without any extra work, for them I recommend an iPhone.

Im also looking at iphone4 and thunderbolt battery comparison. My buddy has 50 minutes of use on iphone 4, with 15 hours standby, and its at 88%.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I've gotta assume that by "some" you mean 99.99999%. Because android,ios,rim, or windows, people want something that works out of the box and not something you have to hack, void your warranty, and risk bricking in order to perform.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I have never owned an iphone. But I just went thru about 15 different websites on my phone and it screamed thru everyone. WAY faster than my wifes iphone, both running on the same wifi signal. And it did it w/o overclocking. So while the iphone may have smoother transitions it does not compare in performance.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have never owned an iphone. But I just went thru about 15 different websites on my phone and it screamed thru everyone. WAY faster than my wifes iphone, both running on the same wifi signal. And it did it w/o overclocking. So while the iphone may have smoother transitions it does not compare in performance.

you're a lucky man.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Okay, I had the LG Ally, I now have the Droid 2, and I'm about to have the Droid 2 Global (needed a warranty replacement for something that happened on my iPod touch 4g as well, the camera focus aperature quit so both phones can be subject to that problem).

So far on both the Ally and Droid 2 the only problems I have experienced were not with the phone itself, but with the apps I installed. From day one of getting the phones they ran smooth without a problem, until I installed certain apps. Craigsphone is one, it froze my Droid 2 and I had to battery pull reset it.

Now, apple may not run into these issues because of what developers have to go through to have there apps listed, but it is also why Android has the chance to have the larger marketplace and following.

And most of the time I have no lag.

I don't think the lag problem is differences in hardware optimization, etc... though. I believe it has to do with the OS itself. Compared to the IOS for apple Android is still in its infancy. Maybe by 2.4 or 2.5 we will have something that is comparable with the "smoothness" that people claim out of the iphone, but for now it's pretty darn close and I have no complaints.

If I had to choose right now, I would make the same choice I made when I got my first droid instead of waiting for the iphone. And this is while owning an iPod touch 4g. At least on my droid I can pull the memory card out and put it in another phone if something goes wrong.

Reaction score

Ios 4 killed the performance on my ipod touch second gen.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

bdsullivan76

Reaction score

you're a lucky man.

Not lucky. I have sold my soul to Verizon.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Ok, you had me rolling with that one. LOL

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

wil318466

Reaction score
Android lags. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tells you it doesn't is either lying or doesn't know what lag actually is.

I'd say 80% of the time my phone never lags. Once in a while if it's doing something in the background, it lags. Probably due to the whole native/gpu/davlik crap.

In the end, I'm more than fine with it. It's almost negligible, but something I wouldn't mind seeing fixed.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score

I've gotta assume that by "some" you mean 99.99999%. Because android,ios,rim, or windows, people want something that works out of the box and not something you have to hack, void your warranty, and risk bricking in order to perform.

True, my Droid 2 global was laggy until I rooted it but the Thunderbolt ran smooth out the box. Admittedly there is some slight lag but only when I add too much to its plate. I suppose I might be tainted because the majority of Android users I talk to have rooted and modded their devices.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

True, my Droid 2 global was laggy until I rooted it but the Thunderbolt ran smooth out the box. Admittedly there is some slight lag but only when I add too much to its plate. I suppose I might be tainted because the majority of Android users I talk to have rooted and modded their devices.

Absolutely. Not taking away from the TB at all. It's a great phone, and the lag is nowhere near a deal breaker. But the people who say there is "ZERO LAG!" are kidding themselves. Android phones will always have lag, simply because of the hardware/software fragmentation. It's not anything bad, but it is something unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.