Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
They drop calls, instead.
Much better.

Android is more powerful, we ask it to do much more and it tries.

What does the poor network a phone is on, have to do with the phone's capability?

Further:

Verizon iPhone drops fewer calls than AT&T iPhone: report - CSMonitor.com

Dropped iPhone Calls Really Are an AT&T Thing

AT&T Admits the Sad Truth: It Can't Handle the iPhone's Needs - HotHardware

So again...that's a network issue, and on a better network iPhone doesn't have any problem that android doesn't have...A+ for effort though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed that anyone thinks Droids lag. I had a Blackberry Storm. 5 minutest to boots and 5 minutes to load a web page. Now that's lagging! ;)

I've said this before, everyone should be forced to own a Blackberry Storm before moving on to a Droid. It makes you appreciate it so much more.

I've never used an iPhone, to get back on topic, so I wouldn't know about any "lag."

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm amazed that anyone thinks Droids lag. I had a Blackberry Storm. 5 minutest to boots and 5 minutes to load a web page. Now that's lagging! ;)

I've said this before, everyone should be forced to own a Blackberry Storm before moving on to a Droid. It makes you appreciate it so much more.

I've never used an iPhone, to get back on topic, so I wouldn't know about any "lag."

haha i'm sure anyone coming from a bb storm would think android is God's gift to smartphones. Like I said it's not lag where you can't use the damn thing, especially not in the newer android phones, but there is a noticeable sluggishness when compared to ios devices. not anything that i would consider a dealbreaker nor is it anything that surprises me given the circumstances surrounding the hardware/software situation of android phones. just an obvious observation though.

you have an ipad don't you hook? do you notice any more or less "smoothness" between your android and your ipad?

OP
B

bodean

Reaction score

My buddy had a Droid 1 since day 1. Just bought iphone 4. He had it a few hours side by side with thunderbolt, and the TB guy saw the lag, on his TB and my buddies droid 1, next to the iphone 4. Just a face that all android devices lag. Not a bash, just a fact.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Much better.

No, AT&T drops calls, the iPhone does not. All the rest of the posts in here have been very informative and constructive, not crass. Please keep it that way.

Crass?
Sir, you assume much.
Was it not the iPhone that needed a fix for a badly engineered antenna?
A third fewer people are complaining using an iPhone on VZW, but there are still many people losing calls due to the hardware and not the infrastructure.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Much better.

No, AT&T drops calls, the iPhone does not. All the rest of the posts in here have been very informative and constructive, not crass. Please keep it that way.

Crass?
Sir, you assume much.
A third fewer people are complaining using an iPhone on VZW, but there are still many people losing calls due to the hardware and not the infrastructure.

And there is a certain way I can hold my Incredible and it will drop the signal just like the iPhone did. The iPhone problem was hyped up and they acted like that was the only phone that suffered from it. They were full of it. Many phones have that glitch.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Much better.

Crass?
Sir, you assume much.

Whatever, your comments are off topic. This is not a thread discussing dropped calls, it's a thread about the difference in lag between iPhone and Android. Kindly stay on topic.

Reaction score

Crass?
Sir, you assume much.

And there is a certain way I can hold my Incredible and it will drop the signal just like the iPhone did. The iPhone problem was hyped up and they acted like that was the only phone that suffered from it. They were full of it. Many phones have that glitch.

Idk if the droid 2 is immune to the "death grip" but I've tried and cannot reproduce it.

As for on topic, will android phones even need gpu optimization if manufacturers just throw more cores (tegra 3 quad core, etc.) and other optimizations on phones?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Stock versus stock the iphone wins hands down as far as having less lag. With that said, my phone is just as smooth as an iphone just a good bit faster. I honestly don't like the fact that I have to install custom roms for stability and to make the phone decently smooth though.

Jeyman

Reaction score

Crass?
Sir, you assume much.

it may have been hyped up. But the fact was the Iphone had it bad.(more so then other phones) almost any phone can have a *death grip* its just the Iphone had more of them, throw into the mix how crappy AT&T is and it just made it shine.

Verizon's Iphone has less dropped calls. Still its higher then normal.

I Had my Moto Droid for a full year, I can count on my two hands the number of dropped calls. My TB is not as lucky though. Iv owned it a month now and already have had a few dropped calls. Though I think one was me hitting the end without noticing it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Crass?
Sir, you assume much.

Idk if the droid 2 is immune to the "death grip" but I've tried and cannot reproduce it.

As for on topic, will android phones even need gpu optimization if manufacturers just throw more cores (tegra 3 quad core, etc.) and other optimizations on phones?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

just youtube android death grip...it exists and its been reproduced plenty of times

as for your second question, to answer it simply...yes. you cant just throw more powerful hardware on a device and offset the fact that the software is not made to run with that hardware implementation. the problem is with the amount of hardware/software fragmentation that exists with android, i see no reasonable way for them to have any true gpu optimization.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I own a d2g and at first I thought the ui was clunky at best. But once I rooted and timed, it is fast as lightning. Point being the interface the carriers put on the phones (I.e. motoblur) is what slows down the system and causes the lag. Not the android system itself.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I own a d2g and at first I thought the ui was clunky at best. But once I rooted and timed, it is fast as lightning. Point being the interface the carriers put on the phones (I.e. motoblur) is what slows down the system and causes the lag. Not the android system itself.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

even the phones with vanilla android still lag so the front ends some manufacturers use like MOTOblur and Sense only make it worse then it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.