Why did you root?

dtartini

Reaction score
I rooted for the OC like most others but I have really got addicted to MM. I change my theme about once a week. Plus I love having tech stuff before everyone else does, ie live wallpapers before the OTA.

I think its cool to have the live wallpapers... but doesnt it eat up your battery?

Im pretty sure it does, I honestly never keep them on for long enough to notice...only when Im showing the phone off:)

dtartini

Reaction score
I run live wallpapers 24/7 and my battery is about the same. Never appears on my battery used list for the past 4 days.

Even if it doesnt drain your battery doesnt it seem to slow your phone down abit when navigating the home screens/launcher? It slowed mine down just enough for me to notice. Maybe your kernel/ROM is better than mine?

Droidfish

Reaction score
I rooted because matth3w told me too... jk

Really a stable 5 screen launcher without bogging my phone down with a home replacement. I knew there was potential beyond that just from browsing the forums but didn't realize just how much.

Now I have Pete's 1.1 rom oveclocked to 1 ghz w/ adamz kernel,
the dark rom patch them(mainly for the home++ launcher,
elegant theme framework.apk,
customized camera.apk (just for a different look)
custom system font
custom audiomanager widget(to match elegant theme)
and the snes mario bootanimation.

Not to mention all the apps and tools that come along with rooting so I can easily change any of the above mentioned tweaks

Wifi tether-awesome
Metamorph-awesome
SetCPU-awesome
Tempmonitor-awesome
Titanium Backup-awesome
terminal emulator-awesome
gscript-awesome
The list grows everyday...

edit: root explorer-awesome!

and to think all I wanted was a stable 5 homescreens...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did it because I got tired of waiting on moto and vzw for 2.1. One day it will be pushed out during the week then they change their mind. I had rooted but then sholesmod app came out and it made it easier to root and unroot so when the ota was pushed i could get it. I am using droid mod and enjoy playing with the duck hunt live wall paper, the wifi tethering for show off purposes. And the o/c and I keep mine at 600 because 600 flies for me. Every now and then I bump it to 800 or 1000, but 600 is good enough for my normal use.

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
Why I Rooted

Well I love this little device. I overclock PC's for fun and when I found out you could do the same I was hooked. "Now if I could just find a water cooling setup small enough :)"

I've installed BB v1.1 with sholesinfo 1.2ghz doing the SPrecovery first and all seemed to work well. I'm :icon_ banana: over the Live wallpapers, wish there were more to choose from!! The barcode prgram is so much fun too. I've had one total lock/reboot of the phone so far. O/C'd at 1000mhz at the time. My temps are 38c 102f when running at 1-1.2ghz so I only do that if im showing off or playing a game. Ive read in these forums that 45c is about as far as you should go as far as the battery is concerned.

I think my biggest hurdle would be trying to figure out how to install these apps to the sd card instead of the droids memory. Im down to 138mb on the phone, but the sd card is at like 14.6gb hehe. I've been diggin through the forums and the app marketplace in hopes to find a way to do this, but nothing as of yet:sad:. If anyone knows, please send me a link so I can learn more about this wonderful device!!??

ROOT ON!!

Tatootie

Reaction score
i rooted because these guys convinced me too! lol j/k
couldnt stand leaving my phone alone...too much fun with rooting snd overclocking

DroidxRage

Reaction score
I run live wallpapers 24/7 and my battery is about the same. Never appears on my battery used list for the past 4 days.

Even if it doesnt drain your battery doesnt it seem to slow your phone down abit when navigating the home screens/launcher? It slowed mine down just enough for me to notice. Maybe your kernel/ROM is better than mine?

Not a hint, I run at 1.1GHz, so I don't really notice lag anymore. It's funny, when I increment the CPU speed (800-900-1000-1100), I actually notice the lines in the Nexus Wallpaper move faster and smoother.

My ROM/Kernel setup is in my signature.

OP
cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Reaction score
I downloaded update.zip from another site. Are there different versions? My Droid is fairly new, less than a month, I want to know I have the right version of the file. Right now I am 50/50 on rooting.

LoBatt

Reaction score
Check out rootyourdroid.info and do some reading. There's much to learn.

There is also an easy way using DroidMod that will root the phone and then install a custom ROM, DroidMod 1.0. You can download the app by going to droidmod.org using your phone's browser. Scroll down till you see the link to download to your phone.

But before you do this, I really can't emphasize enough that you need to read up on rooting and using SPRrecovery and Nandroid backup.

Slider46

Reaction score
I rooted to get some custom ROMs/Skins/Themes, to overclock, wireless tether, and to be able to make a complete backup image of the phone (SPRecovery).

I love tweaking stuff and the customization available after rooting is perfect for that.

reitman1

Reaction score
I rooted my milestone just for one app : led hack. Now I can sleep with my milestone in the dock, and the bedroom is in dark !

Where is this app!? I've been looking for something to dim the soft button lights when its in the dock!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i was a linux administrator for years and it was just right up my alley to root and customize.

when i get some time on my hands ill get into some coding and or custom roms...