Why are phones now available online first?

Beka27

Reaction score
Just a general question.

For the last few releases, the phones have been available online for a week prior to when they are available in the store (for example, the D3 today). Call me old-fashioned (lol) but I think it's cool being able to go to the store first thing in the morning and make your purchase and have your phone on release day. Do they just not want people in the stores? :icon_eek:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Online is the way of the future. It's like a soft release. I was going to order today, but found out I get a bigger discount if I wait a week. So I'll be going to the store to get mine. They actually wanted me to pre order on the phone to avoid the lines....I don't think there's been a line for a phone release in a while. At least not here.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. Like I said, maybe I'm just old-fashioned. It would be nice if the Bionic was actually available in stores on release day.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yeah, I guess. Like I said, maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Nope. You're a nerd. ;)
And I mean that in the most respectful way.
I want a new phone. If I had to wait a week to get it in a store, no big deal.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
just because of how convenient it is. many consumers don't have time to make it to the store so online is the way to go. Alot of places are offering free shipping as well.

I have noticed that in-store deals have been getting a bit better due to online shopping, but sometimes it's hard to beat online shopping. I know once I had my Amazon Prime membership I even bought cereal LOL!

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
Oh, I'm absolutely a nerd, and darn proud of it. LOL!

Are the dummy units in stores yet at least?