Which USB type for Droid?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I want to get some extra USB cables for my droid (one to keep at home, one in car, one at work, etc)

And rather than pay the crazy prices for a cable at VZW or Bestbuy, I can get them on Monoprice for a couple bucks a pop. I just need to verify what sort of connector it is that goes into the droid.

From pictures it looks like it might be "Micro B" is this it? Does anyone know a picture chart somewhere on the web that identifies all the different USB connection types? (I have another device I would like some cables for as well)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to get some extra USB cables for my droid (one to keep at home, one in car, one at work, etc)

And rather than pay the crazy prices for a cable at VZW or Bestbuy, I can get them on Monoprice for a couple bucks a pop. I just need to verify what sort of connector it is that goes into the droid.

From pictures it looks like it might be "Micro B" is this it? Does anyone know a picture chart somewhere on the web that identifies all the different USB connection types? (I have another device I would like some cables for as well)

I had to buy another cable for another device through Monoprice. Did you try their "ask customer service?" I believe if you tell them it's for a Droid they will come up with the right cable for you. They found the right one for me for my Harmony Remote that way.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score

I had to buy another cable for another device through Monoprice. Did you try their "ask customer service?" I believe if you tell them it's for a Droid they will come up with the right cable for you. They found the right one for me for my Harmony Remote that way.

I'm too boneheaded to ask the retailer anything! lol I'll check it out.

Thanks

cuskit

Reaction score

If you want the 6' cable - the part number at monoprice you will need is #5458. This is a USB-AB(M5)F-MM-06. Basically it means USB (A) to Micro (B) with the 5 pin connector. The 06 on the end denotes the length, in this case 6'.

Buy a few - the shipping costs are higher than the cable, adding 2-3 extras and the extra shipping costs are minimal. Hope this helps! :) Mike

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score

If you want the 6' cable - the part number at monoprice you will need is #5458. This is a USB-AB(M5)F-MM-06. Basically it means USB (A) to Micro (B) with the 5 pin connector. The 06 on the end denotes the length, in this case 6'.

Buy a few - the shipping costs are higher than the cable, adding 2-3 extras and the extra shipping costs are minimal. Hope this helps! :) Mike

Great information! Thanks. I knew it was Micro, I just didn't know which to get, there is like 3 different versions?

cuskit

Reaction score

Great information! Thanks. I knew it was Micro, I just didn't know which to get, there is like 3 different versions?
Well, only one that works for the Droid. I previously owned the Motorola Razr, and was REALLY perturbed when I found out my chargers (2 -AC and 3 car chargers) were now worthless! My VZW rep explained that they (manufacturers) are trying to make this a universal thing, but I believe they want the proprietary use so each can force consumers to buy their own. Fortunately we have places like monoprice that gives us high quality cables and adapters at very attractive prices compared to VZW stores (5-10 times the cost)!

But stick with the part number I gave you and you'll be fine. 6' is a perfect length, the shorter 1.5' and 3" just come up way too short. And the cost difference is negligible. Later - mikey :)

Grabraham

Reaction score
Thanks for the part number made it easy to stop procrastinating!! Just ordered 3 the cables were still cheaper than the shipping, not bad though 3 cables and shipping for just under $10 that's 1/2 the cost of what Verizon sells one cable for :D

mjs31

Reaction score

Well, only one that works for the Droid. I previously owned the Motorola Razr, and was REALLY perturbed when I found out my chargers (2 -AC and 3 car chargers) were now worthless! My VZW rep explained that they (manufacturers) are trying to make this a universal thing, but I believe they want the proprietary use so each can force consumers to buy their own. Fortunately we have places like monoprice that gives us high quality cables and adapters at very attractive prices compared to VZW stores (5-10 times the cost)!

But stick with the part number I gave you and you'll be fine. 6' is a perfect length, the shorter 1.5' and 3" just come up way too short. And the cost difference is negligible. Later - mikey :)

Not sure on proprietary. I have 8 items that use micro usb. I actually find it better than regular as far as holding up. Hell, even my 3 bluetooth headsets in the household use this type of charger. All new blackberrys use it as well....I could go on and on.

Joey77042

Reaction score
Anyone know what happens if you try to use USB 3 with the droid? benefits? harmful? good idea? bad idea?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Monoprice's site is down until tomorrow. Is that link for a USB 3 cable?

cuskit

Reaction score

Not sure on proprietary. I have 8 items that use micro usb. I actually find it better than regular as far as holding up. Hell, even my 3 bluetooth headsets in the household use this type of charger. All new blackberrys use it as well....I could go on and on.
That's what I meant - most manufacturers have made the switch to MicroUsb. Five years ago every phone had a proprietary connector - they began the changeover to USB, then mini and now Micro. Apple still keeps theirs - but the advantage with that is having audio and data streaming through one connector. I haven't the foggiest notion of the tech part of it - but I wish we could run our audio through the MicroUSB and eliminate a second cable. I know this has been discussed - but truthfully I didn't understand the tech restrictions. Can that be done? Is it a software issue or hardware related? mike

FoFa

Reaction score
I bought two 6 footers off eBay for 2.99 each, free shipping. So two were a total of 5.98.
I use one with the wall charger. The other at work (where I needed the length). The short one I have at home because that is the proper length for that.