Which USB type for Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by JP 5.56, Mar 4, 2010.

1. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I want to get some extra USB cables for my droid (one to keep at home, one in car, one at work, etc)

And rather than pay the crazy prices for a cable at VZW or Bestbuy, I can get them on Monoprice for a couple bucks a pop. I just need to verify what sort of connector it is that goes into the droid.

From pictures it looks like it might be "Micro B" is this it? Does anyone know a picture chart somewhere on the web that identifies all the different USB connection types? (I have another device I would like some cables for as well)
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I had to buy another cable for another device through Monoprice. Did you try their "ask customer service?" I believe if you tell them it's for a Droid they will come up with the right cable for you. They found the right one for me for my Harmony Remote that way.
  3. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I'm too boneheaded to ask the retailer anything! lol I'll check it out.

Thanks
  4. Mark5047

Mark5047 New Member

The Droid has a micro USB connector on it.
  5. switchblade5984

switchblade5984 New Member

should be a micro usb.
  6. cuskit

cuskit New Member

If you want the 6' cable - the part number at monoprice you will need is #5458. This is a USB-AB(M5)F-MM-06. Basically it means USB (A) to Micro (B) with the 5 pin connector. The 06 on the end denotes the length, in this case 6'.

Buy a few - the shipping costs are higher than the cable, adding 2-3 extras and the extra shipping costs are minimal. Hope this helps! :) Mike
  7. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

Great information! Thanks. I knew it was Micro, I just didn't know which to get, there is like 3 different versions?
  8. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Well, only one that works for the Droid. I previously owned the Motorola Razr, and was REALLY perturbed when I found out my chargers (2 -AC and 3 car chargers) were now worthless! My VZW rep explained that they (manufacturers) are trying to make this a universal thing, but I believe they want the proprietary use so each can force consumers to buy their own. Fortunately we have places like monoprice that gives us high quality cables and adapters at very attractive prices compared to VZW stores (5-10 times the cost)!

But stick with the part number I gave you and you'll be fine. 6' is a perfect length, the shorter 1.5' and 3" just come up way too short. And the cost difference is negligible. Later - mikey :)
  9. Grabraham

Grabraham New Member

Thanks for the part number made it easy to stop procrastinating!! Just ordered 3 the cables were still cheaper than the shipping, not bad though 3 cables and shipping for just under $10 that's 1/2 the cost of what Verizon sells one cable for :D
  10. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Not sure on proprietary. I have 8 items that use micro usb. I actually find it better than regular as far as holding up. Hell, even my 3 bluetooth headsets in the household use this type of charger. All new blackberrys use it as well....I could go on and on.
  11. Zargon

Zargon New Member

Big +1 for Monoprice.
  12. Joey77042

Joey77042 New Member

Anyone know what happens if you try to use USB 3 with the droid? benefits? harmful? good idea? bad idea?
  13. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Monoprice's site is down until tomorrow. Is that link for a USB 3 cable?
  14. cuskit

cuskit New Member

That's what I meant - most manufacturers have made the switch to MicroUsb. Five years ago every phone had a proprietary connector - they began the changeover to USB, then mini and now Micro. Apple still keeps theirs - but the advantage with that is having audio and data streaming through one connector. I haven't the foggiest notion of the tech part of it - but I wish we could run our audio through the MicroUSB and eliminate a second cable. I know this has been discussed - but truthfully I didn't understand the tech restrictions. Can that be done? Is it a software issue or hardware related? mike
  15. FoFa

FoFa New Member

I bought two 6 footers off eBay for 2.99 each, free shipping. So two were a total of 5.98.
    I use one with the wall charger. The other at work (where I needed the length). The short one I have at home because that is the proper length for that.
  16. switchblade5984

okay so we need a usb 2.0, anyone know the difference between the 28/28 gauge and the 28/24?
  17. cuskit

cuskit New Member

USB cables used for the purpose such as Droid Smartphones require a cable capable of transmitting both power and data. As such - there are minimum standards set up for the construction of stranded wires used in these cables. Basically what this means to the layman is that the MicroUSB cables we use for our Droids consist of two separate pairs of wire in the same casing. One for power transfer (charging your phone) and one for data (I digress...). ;)

28/28 means that both pair are the same gauge, 28/24 includes one heavier gauge and one lower gauge. To elaborate - this means that you are getting a higher gauge wire for the power transmitting side (the 24 gauge) with a 28/24 rated cable, while with a 28/28 you are getting the same lower gauge for both power and data. The data side is not as critical as the power side.

It may be confusing - but the lower the number - the thicker the wire. For example, 28 gauge is a thinner wire than 24 gauge. There's a lot more to it than just the gauge involved here - but you only asked numbers. But you should also be aware of the difference between high speed and low speed. Gauge also comes into play here. But twisted strands play a more important role than the gauge - which is why on high speed USB they recommend twisted data strands, though it is not required. If you are either buying or receiving cables for your Droid - be sure to inquire just what you are getting. Many of the problems we hear about on these forums are directly related to cheap cables (I'm speaking quality - not price. The two do not always go hand in hand). Many chargers do not work - you hear of Droids going haywire and such, and the touch screen working weird when connected to the cheaper (quality) chargers - in many cases this is caused by inferior quality cables.

By the way - the power stranded sides are always untwisted while the data strands may or may not be (higher quality cables use twisted strand for data).

For the record - these facts come from a meager understanding of wiring left over from a long and distant memory of high school electricity 101. ;) Should anybody with a more qualified knowledge be able to explain this better (or even tell me I'm wrong), have at it - I'm all ears with wide shoulders! ;)

I will state here that all the MicroUSB High Quality Cables included FREE with shipped MIKRADLES are the 28/24 gauge. I could supply a cheaper wire which would work in most cases, but I feel the quality of the cable should be at least as high as the quality of my product! :) mike
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  18. switchblade5984

much appreciated!
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Mike....I pull data/fiber cable for a living. Your comments are accurate for this audience. Do your research people on the quality of the USB cable. There is a difference.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a USB cable from cuskit, he knows what he is talking about. But hey, I can make my own. :D

-Mike
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
Search tags for this page

android usb cable type

android usb connection type

android usb type

droid 4 usb type
droid razr usb type
droid x usb port type

droid x usb type

usb type android
usb-ab(4)f-mm-06